Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is there a tactful way to do this or should I just stay out of it?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM
  • 28 Replies

My bil's girlfriend has a 7 month old, and it seriuosly looks like she's never clipped his fingernails. There some are curled down, some curl up, but they are WAY longer than they should be. She's only 19, and idk if maybe she's too scared to clip them? Is there a way that I could tactfully suggest she clip them, or offer to clip them myslelf? Or find out if she even has clippers, because I have an extra pair?? Or should I just stay out of it. I feel so bad for the little guy, and I'm completely surprised that his face isn't completely covered in scratches!

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I'd stay out of it. Unless she's a completely neglectful mother. The pediatrician will probably say something. 

ShyPiper
by Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I think it would be ok if you offered to clip them. With my first baby I was so scared to clip her nails I had to have my mom do them until I got more comfortable with it. It happens, but I don't think she would be offended if you offered to do it. :)

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Next time shes over make a comment about cutting your kids nails and how scared you were to cut them when they were little.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I would ask once and leave it alone after that. 

noneya79
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM

My ex sil would let my niece's nails get like that, and I would just clip her nails without asking or anything. I'd just say "oh Peyton, your nails are getting long, come here i will cut them down for you".

ex sil never said a word to me, and I didn't care if it bothered her... they needed to be cut!

isaboo22
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I think it would be fine if you said something. Like the next time you are holding him, just nicely mention "Oh, his nails are sharp. Want me to clip them real fast, since I have him now anyway?"  Something casual  like that. If she gets offeneded (not sure why she would), then just drop it. 

Mamie_85
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM
This is a good idea. I've had a friend that never did it, and I used the same approach. Turns out, she was terrified of cutting the baby and asked me to show her.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Next time shes over make a comment about cutting your kids nails and how scared you were to cut them when they were little.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alyssaravensmom
My husband still will not clip our 2 year old nails. I remember a year ago I was at work so I asked him to bathe her and clip her nails. When I came home he said "honey, I bathed her, but I just couldn't clip her nails. She's so small. What if I hurt her?" it was funny because he looked so scared even talking about it. I would say something like "aw, look at his nails. It is amazing how fast they grow (which is true). I remember I had to cut my babies nails every couple of days. I bet it drives you nuts, how often do you have to do his?" make it light and jokey.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I would ask if she would like the extra pair of clippers. You can maybe say something like, I remember how scared I was to clip my first baby's nails and then tell her some of the things you do to clip yours.  I used to clip my babies' nails when they were asleep lol

Kodysmommy928

How about you just let her parent the way she wants to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)