Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Drugging your kids to sleep

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 145 Replies

I give mine melatonin...as young as 1.5, and the dr says it's fine. It works great too. I think it's safer than benadryl or even tylenol. I only give it to them at night to help sleep. (It wouldn't work in the daytime anyway because it needs to be dark for the melatonin to work properly.) I really don't think melatonin is a drug though. It's like teething tablets, natural substances.

*hides behind the anon shield* lol

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CheesyKitty
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM
My DH wants me to drug dd some nights when we have a big day in the morning. I never will because I don't see why it's nessary. Not bashing you at all, just not right for my family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supernoodle2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM
The dr said its ok to give them drugs to sleep? I have never heard of that my kids never slept threw the night till they were at least 2. We have to put a baby gate up on my sons room at night or he roams the house and plays at like 2am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kamrynlily07
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
We give melatonin too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kamrynlily07
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Melatonin doesn't knock them out for the night, it just regulates their sleep/wake cycles.

Quoting supernoodle2:

The dr said its ok to give them drugs to sleep? I have never heard of that my kids never slept threw the night till they were at least 2. We have to put a baby gate up on my sons room at night or he roams the house and plays at like 2am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Are you trying to convince yourself or us? Lol.

My kid's "drug" is that natural sleepy feeling. No help needed besides a few cuddles.
fairyjester
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Melatonin is completely safe

right now my kid is getting something stronger however

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

melatonin is a hormone, not a drug. Your body makes it naturally for sleep.

I give my youngest 1mg a night. He wakes up more refreshed and has better days at school as opposed to when he doesn't have it. 

*ETA* melatonin is made in the pineal gland.

motherofzandz
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM
We use melatonin but is not a drug its a supplement and I agree better then any meds. We give it to my 4 year old who has a hard time falling asleep. Melatonin is something our bodies make to slow our brains down. Some people don't make enough of it. And it doesn't have to be dark but kids do have to be tired because it doesn't put them to sleep just helps slow their brains down naturally to fall asleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supernoodle2
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:45 PM
Is it addictive?

Quoting Aslen:

melatonin is a hormone, not a drug. Your body makes it naturally for sleep.

I give my youngest 1mg a night. He wakes up more refreshed and has better days at school as opposed to when he doesn't have it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bootifuldisastr
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:45 PM
DH is very against it...he said some crap about it "messing up DS's body" something about girl parts?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)