Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Trailer Parks

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Do all parents that live in a trailer park just decide they no longer have parenting obligations? 

I ask, because my friend moved to a trailer park last year, and in that year she has pretty much been a free daycare service for all the neighborhood kids. They come over uninvited all the time, and some of them live a couple blocks away. I'm talking about kids ages 2-7 years old. They say their moms let them walk to her home to come over and play. I was at her house yesterday and while I was there, there was a 2 year old playing in the street, and his 4 year old sister was supposed to be looking after him. They just walked right in my friend's home like they lived there... it was crazy! She said this happens all the time. She gets kids from all over the neighborhood just inviting themselves over, and they are always playing in the street. She doesn't even know who half of their moms are. 

Now I have no idea why she doesn't call authorities on these moms, but if I were her, I'd be known as the biggest bitch in the park, because that shit won't fly with me! 

Is it like this in all trailer parks? Or is this one a special case? LOL

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:01 PM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I do the same thing. I don't tell people where I live, I have them get to know me first and then they realize why we are in a place we are and that we aren't bad. Unfortunately, trailer parks and those who live in them get looked down on more often than not. I look at it like this: We own our place, and pay very little lot rent, giving us more extra money than we would have if we were in an apartment.

Quoting db1au:

My "trailer park kid" would love to play with your kids.  All Parks and all people who live in Trailer parks aren't trash.  I rarely tell people where I live for fear they will look down on me for living in a place that I can afford.  People can be down right nasty to each other.  Good grief.

shannonlee97
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM
I live in a so called trailer park and I watch my kids. There is a family down from us who lets her kids play in the street but we just avoid her. What neighborhood doesn't have a family like that? My dad lives in one of the nicest neighbor hoods on his city and there are a few people like that. Living in a trailer has nothing to do with it. I don't get the judgement people give when they hear trailer park. My "trailer" has 3 bedrooms. Two full baths, a huge kitchen and a patio on the side. It's actually a manufactured or modular home but as soon as people hear its in a park they get all weird about it. Wtf. This is the nicest, cleanest, quietest place we have ever lived. It nicer than most of my friends homes and neighborhoods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KitT.Kat
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Where I grew up, there were no apartments. They just didn't exist. You either bought a house, rented part of a duplex or you lived in a trailer park. Those were the only options.

Even after moving to places where trailer parks were located in less desirable areas, the hatred people have towards them still surprises me. How dare someone have less money than you. 

eye rolling

shannonlee97
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:25 PM
People are so stupid and judgemental. I love living in a place that is mine. I can paint the walls, Change whatever I want and make it a home. Although I do pay a house payment on it along with lot rent it is still a lot cheaper than most peoples rent on a much smaller place. My kids could totally play with your kids:)

Quoting Anonymous:

I do the same thing. I don't tell people where I live, I have them get to know me first and then they realize why we are in a place we are and that we aren't bad. Unfortunately, trailer parks and those who live in them get looked down on more often than not. I look at it like this: We own our place, and pay very little lot rent, giving us more extra money than we would have if we were in an apartment.

Quoting db1au:

My "trailer park kid" would love to play with your kids.  All Parks and all people who live in Trailer parks aren't trash.  I rarely tell people where I live for fear they will look down on me for living in a place that I can afford.  People can be down right nasty to each other.  Good grief.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hempmommy87
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Maybe it's because they are usually really close together- the trailers, that is. idk.

Mbpeaceful12
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I sincerely hope that this is just a special case. It is easy to put everyone in a box due to one or two persons' ignorant behavior or beliefs. I live in the hood and I get so angry because while I am working on a graduate degree in Education, everyone around me wants to talk nonsense-last year around this time, CPS was actually called on me because I was supposedly beating the hell out of my children. Yet I had to remind myself that not everyone is the same. I live in the hood and am making something out of myself. Your friend lives in a trailer park and is a good and caring person. Unfortunately, the lower you are on the socioeconomic ladder, the more folks want to lump you into the same category as those who are not doing as well due to circumstances or choice.

If your friend is a mother, it would be in her children's best interest to get them involved in activities, so that they will not become immune to this 'special behavior'. My oldest daughter takes ballet and modern and is the church's choir; we do not have time to for the bullshit like the rest of the neighborhood.

helema24
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM

umm nope i grew up in a mixed trailor park (it had a few houses but mostly trailors) and th eolder kids hung out but the parents took responsability fo rthem they were not day care for other peoples kids and any child under 10 was either at home or with their older siblings if they went somewhere (to the corner store or the lake) IDK what has happened now but back in the day you didnt toss your kids on others and older kids watched younger kids not other adults!!

sweet.lil.mama
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:50 PM
I live in a trailer but I'd never live in a trailer park. Its only for a year then we are putting a modular home here
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SimplyErathy
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:54 PM
We live in one but there are rules up the ass lol all the crisped her cost around $40,000.00 its more upsacle then most and the kids know not to fuck with us. We were paint balled once and caught them on came and they got in a lot of trouble and had to wash our car and house
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:31 PM
Honestly that happens in subdivisions a lot, too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)