Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Now that I have your attention. ...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

THE HOT WATER BOTTLE - A True Story By Helen Roseveare, Missionary to Africa  

One night, in Central Africa, I had worked hard to help a mother in the labor ward; but in spite of all that we could do, she died leaving us with a tiny, premature baby and a crying, two-year-old daughter.

We would have difficulty keeping the baby alive. We had no incubator. We had no electricity to run an incubator, and no special feeding facilities. Although we lived on the equator, nights were often chilly with treacherous drafts.

A student-midwife went for the box we had for such babies and for the cotton wool that the baby would be wrapped in. Another went to stoke up the fire and fill a hot water bottle. She came back shortly, in distress, to tell me that in filling the bottle, it had burst. Rubber perishes easily in tropical climates. "...and it is our last hot water bottle!" she exclaimed. As in the West, it is no good crying over spilled milk; so, in Central Africa it might be considered no good crying over a burst water bottle. They do not grow on trees, and there are no drugstores down forest pathways. All right," I said, "Put the baby as near the fire as you safely can; sleep between the baby and the door to keep it free from drafts. Your job is to keep the baby warm."

The following noon, as I did most days, I went to have prayers with many of the orphanage children who chose to gather with me. I gave the youngsters various suggestions of things to pray about and told them about the tiny baby. I explained our problem about keeping the baby warm enough, mentioning the hot water bottle. The baby could so easily die if it got chilled. I also told them about the two-year-old sister, crying because her mother had died. During the prayer time, one ten-year-old girl, Ruth, prayed with the usual blunt consciousness of our African children. "Please, God," she prayed, "send us a water bottle. It'll be no good tomorrow, God, the baby'll be dead; so, please send it this afternoon." While I gasped inwardly at the audacity of the prayer, she added by way of corollary, " ...And while You are about it, would You please send a dolly for the little girl so she'll know You really love her?" As often with children's prayers, I was put on the spot. Could I honestly say, "Amen?" I just did not believe that God could do this. Oh, yes, I know that He can do everything: The Bible says so, but there are limits, aren't there? The only way God could answer this particular prayer would be by sending a parcel from the homeland. I had been in Africa for almost four years at that time, and I had never, ever received a parcel from home. Anyway, if anyone did send a parcel, who would put in a hot water bottle? I lived on the equator!

Halfway through the afternoon, while I was teaching in the nurses' training school, a message was sent that there was a car at my front door. By the time that I reached home, the car had gone, but there, on the veranda, was a large twenty-two pound parcel! I felt tears pricking my eyes. I could not open the parcel alone; so, I sent for the orphanage children. Together we pulled off the string, carefully undoing each knot. We folded the paper, taking care not to tear it unduly. Excitement was mounting. Some thirty or forty pairs of eyes were focused on the large cardboard box. From the top, I lifted out brightly colored, knitted jerseys. Eyes sparkled as I gave them out. Then, there were the knitted bandages for the leprosy patients, and the children began to look a little bored. Next, came a box of mixed raisins and sultanas - - that would make a nice batch of buns for the weekend. As I put my hand in again, I felt the...could it really be? I grasped it, and pulled it out. Yes, "A brand-new rubber, hot water bottle!" I cried. I had not asked God to send it; I had not truly believed that He could. Ruth was in the front row of the children. She rushed forward, crying out, "If God has sent the bottle, He must have sent the dolly, too!" Rummaging down to the bottom of the box, she pulled out the small, beautifully dressed dolly. Her eyes shone: She had never doubted! Looking up at me, she asked, "Can I go over with you, Mummy, and give this dolly to that little girl, so she'll know that Jesus really loves her?"

That parcel had been on the way for five whole months, packed up by my former Sunday School class, whose leader had heard and obeyed God's prompting to send a hot water bottle, even to the equator. One of the girls had put in a dolly for an African child -- five months earlier in answer to the believing prayer of a ten-year-old to bring it "That afternoon!" "And it shall come to pass, that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear." Isaiah 65:24

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM

the story is touching and all but your title just annoys me a lil "your sinful souls could use the lesson" im sure your soul has sin in it too.... just saying..

miss_lisa
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM
They held church services in their home and fed lunch and dinner to those who came on Sundays. There were a lot of interesting and fun stories.

Quoting Anonymous:

I bet that was interesting! I would love to hear stories like this all the time. I really think it is so neat. 

Quoting miss_lisa:

I read the entire story.

Still agnostic.

And I grew up on stories like that as my dad and his sisters were born and raised in Zimbabwe.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Holztastic
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Yep.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd have to believe in sin in order to do it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:09 PM
2 moms liked this

This, this is the biggest problem i have with there being a "god", also, why would he allow those who are supposed to be doing his work molest kids?

Quoting SDarvasi:

Okay. So what you're saying is that God knows what's going to happen before it happens. Therefore, when something horrible happens to children everyday that suffer and die, that he knew it was going to happen and did nothing to stop it?

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Mere coincidence. That package was in transit for five months, yes? It just so happened to arrive on that particular day. It takes things forever to ship overseas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3Dani75
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM

nice story, I have one issue though, if your trying to make "sinners" believe then why are you posting anon? why not use your sn? or are you not really a "true believer"?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM
1 mom liked this

It is a good story and very sweet, but why address it only to non believers and sinful souls. I believe in miracles and prayer, but I do not believe in what you did here.   God said judge not less you be judged.  This kind of post does not help the Christian cause. Makes all Christians look bad. Jesus called people who sat in such judgment of sinners as hypocrits and furthermore told those who were without sin to cast the first stone. So I think you need to think about that. Share the story but do so without the condemnation and condescending tone. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I'm not really. If you'll notice, this was posted hours ago with no replies. Throw on a catchy title... BAM! Activity. Works every time, for every kind of post. 

Quoting emeraldangel20:

i dont read things from a judgemental "christian"

SDarvasi
by Sarah Berri ♥ on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM

explain please. 

Because from what I remember...when a baby dies, the mother is told "god needed another angel"/ When a women gets breast cancer from NO FAULT OF HER OWN, she is told to "pray to God because God heals"....and when natural (note NATURAL) disasters happen, and they kill a family, what on earth could the family do any different if they didn't know it was coming? Or are you saying that some person controls the tornado?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. 

Quoting SDarvasi:

Oh....right. So...a baby that is born and dies an hour later is a persons fault? A woman who gets breast cancer and dies, is a person's fault? A tornado rips through someone's home and their entire family dies....but it's a persons fault?

Right.

Quoting Anonymous:

God doesn't cause bad things to happen, people do. 

Quoting SDarvasi:

Okay. So what you're saying is that God knows what's going to happen before it happens. Therefore, when something horrible happens to children everyday that suffer and die, that he knew it was going to happen and did nothing to stop it?

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Apr. 30, 2012 at 9:11 PM
2 moms liked this

I graduated with honors as a member of NHS. I just think you are an uppity bitch and arent worth the 1 1/2 minutes.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you've passed even the 5th grade, it'll only take about 1 1/2 minutes to read. 

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

Cliff notes?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)