Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

im paying for her drug habit

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
My mom has had an addiction problem my whole life. In and out of rehab. Recently she had a seizure and a stroke maybe 18 months ago. Since then, ive taken over her finances. She gets ssi. After i pay her rent with her ssi, i still have to add 200 to it, plus buy her groceries, bills, clothing, and spending money. So i come out of pocket about 600-800 a month. I know she uses her spending money on cocaine, but id rather give her the money then she get it on her own. Today dh tells me she has to go to rehab or we have to stop supporting her because his dd is starting college in Aug and wants to live off campus so WE have to pay her rent. First, the financial help i provide my mom comes from my money. Second, id LOVE for her to go to rehab, but i can't force her (can i). Im her power of attorney, can i commit her to rehab?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:06 PM
Idk I would think so
Hilary799
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM

If you have power of attorney I think you can. However, you might have to go in front of a judge and have her declared incompotent sp? I would definitely check into it.

Lostinindy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM
Tell your dh that his money can pay for his dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Do you know if id need a lawyer

Quoting Hilary799:

If you have power of attorney I think you can. However, you might have to go in front of a judge and have her declared incompotent sp? I would definitely check into it.

Amy_M
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:10 PM

If you force someone into rehab when they arent ready it wont help.  They have to be ready for it.  And I agree with your husband.  

angie729
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Forcing someone into rehab will not help them at all. It can actually make more problems. As far as your dd wanting to live off campus...well we dont always get what we want. It wont hurt her to live on campus.

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

hell yes you can. and not to be mean, but if it came to my mother getting drugs or my sd going to college, i wouldnt hesitate to write out that rent check

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I pity da foo

baquick
by Ruby Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:13 PM
Call a rehab and tell them you are POA and ask if you can use that to commit her. I think in most states you can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hilary799
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 4:13 PM

It's entirely possible.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you know if id need a lawyer

Quoting Hilary799:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)