Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ok this has been bugging me for a while now

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

are there really people out there that cant get any help from family in some way?

my parents ask me everyday if i need anything from food to diapers to toilet paper, even if they are traveling and i need something they will put money in my bank so i can get it. i understand that sometimes we dont have parents anymore but come on there has to be someone that you know that can help you in some way even if you have to pay them back. 

ok now im off to make me a bowl of cereal and watch sesame street with my little one, i will respond when i have time

EDIT: i understand there are times when there is no one but see i dont understand how a parent can abandon their child like that. it boggles my mind when someone says that their mom or dad doesnt care about them

i would hope those moms out there that have parents like that will treat their child better and help out if they can, even if its something small and im sure yall ladies do 

i know when my son gets older and he needs my help, i would do what i could to help him out 

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Replies (31-40):
KME445
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM

It is definitely nice to have family you can depend on.  You just have to be careful not to become dependent.  KWIM?  Paying your bills, buying your necessities, etc. is being a grownup.  Again, the occasional thing is no big deal, but "help" on the regular usually just enables poor choices.

Quoting Anonymous:

they ask me daily b/c they know i would come right and ask for help if i really needed it, also right now in till they get back from texas, me and ds are by ourselves  b/c my SO is out of town

Quoting KME445:

Occasional help from family is one thing, but what kind of situation are you in that your parents ask about it **DAILY** and have to interrupt vacation/travel time to put money in your bank account?

I wouldn't be proud of this.  AT. ALL.

Quoting Anonymous:

are there really people out there that cant get any help from family in some way?

my parents ask me everyday if i need anything from food to diapers to toilet paper, even if they are traveling and i need something they will put money in my bank so i can get it. i understand that sometimes we dont have parents anymore but come on there has to be someone that you know that can help you in some way even if you have to pay them back. 

ok now im off to make me a bowl of cereal and watch sesame street with my little one, i will respond when i have time

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM

My dad told me I didn't mean anything to him when I was 5 years old, and my mom is in the military and has been gone for 4 months and won't be back until next year. I don't have the privilage you do. My DH parents are too into themselves and I have no family members.

I'm alone. So lucky you. Not everyone has the life of a perfect family.

Jess0915
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM
My mom is on disability, so we send her money. Most of my family has less money than us, so There would be no one to ask. And we're not close with dh's family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jess0915
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Oh, but we do have friends we could count on though. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM
My parents opened their home to my kids and I and said that I don't have to worry about anything while going college. They pay for everything that my kids and I need and my mom's parents have sent money to help out as well. I have a great family!
KME445
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I think that is a pretty different situation (and very sweet of your dad).  But depending on your family for your basic living expenses, long term, is not healthy.

Quoting bmw29:

My dad calls me at least twice a week to see if I need anything. We nevdr actually need anything but sometimes I say yes because he starts to feel old and useless if we refuse all his offers. When he comes over he always has something he thinks we could use. He's a good man and has trouble accepting that his youngest child is now 32 and doesn't need his help anymore.

Quoting KME445:

Occasional help from family is one thing, but what kind of situation are you in that your parents ask about it **DAILY** and have to interrupt vacation/travel time to put money in your bank account?

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:21 PM

thats the same with my parents, they will bring over stuff all the time when ever they come over, toys, wipes, clothes(ds has some many clothes right now) they called me today to tell me that they bought him a trike and there was nothing i could say that would make them take it back

Quoting bmw29:

My dad calls me at least twice a week to see if I need anything. We nevdr actually need anything but sometimes I say yes because he starts to feel old and useless if we refuse all his offers. When he comes over he always has something he thinks we could use. He's a good man and has trouble accepting that his youngest child is now 32 and doesn't need his help anymore.

Quoting KME445:

Quoting Anonymous:

2rays0fsun
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Yes our families would and do help if we were to ever need it.

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM
I was just giving a reason her parents may still call daily. She didn't say she actually needed the help just that it's offered. My dad is a very sweet man though. :)

Quoting KME445:

I think that is a pretty different situation (and very sweet of your dad).  But depending on your family for your basic living expenses, long term, is not healthy.

Quoting bmw29:

Quoting KME445:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM

hahahahhaha YES. I agree with you. There is a woman in one of my due date groups that is ALWAYS talking about her dad buying this and that and her never wanting for anything. All I can think is what a joke she is. I am proud that I bust my ass daily and work for what I have. I'd be so ashamed and embarrassed if I was just letting my mom and dad give me things constantly.

Quoting Anonymous:

Some of us have cut the cord.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)