Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

mothers with young toddlers, what do you do for education purposes?

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:31 AM
  • 28 Replies

I'm looking for new things to do with my 18 month old daughter, I think she is getting kind of bored with the ABC song, and identifying body parts, we read every night, a book and a chapter of the bible, she has color time, where obviously she colors either in her coloring books or on pieces of paper, we identify objects around the house and all that, but i'm just looking for new things to do with her! anyone have any suggestions?

by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AHmom103
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Science class. I always try to come up with some wacky experiment for my girls to try, or I take them for a "hike" in the woods, or something similar.

wkukid
by Ocean Wave on May. 1, 2012 at 2:33 AM
Numbers?
HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:33 AM
Wow, I think my 19 month old daughter is behind. She can't form full words yet. Her blanket is B, which is still a cute nickname, Bender the cat is Nenda and Spock the dog is Pa. She doesn't know colors yet, even though when we color, I tell her all the colors. She just looks back down and scribbles.

I know she'll get there though. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alf2651
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:34 AM

With my DD we go on little hikes either in nearby parks or in the woods. We go to the zoo (if possible) or watch TV shows about different animals. I take her to the Discovery museum near where I work, or to Monticello to see the gardens, and places like that. 

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

gum.drop
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

just keep doing what your doing.... if you do to much at 18months she will start forgeting things... youve got lots of time... master those thing first. if you have to add things try your baby can read.... and drawing shapes and recognizing shapes...... and try coloring in the lines lol, so frustrating... hahahaha

get abc flash cards and have her try to recognize them and maybe even organize them... dont add new things just master what your already doing.

DEEANNALAMB81
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:37 AM

My youngest is 15 months and we are doing the same things, other than letting them explore outside or have play dates there isn't much else to do.They are still really little and most aren't verbal enough to do much more.

gum.drop
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:38 AM

shes not behind :)

her daughter may just be ahead... but this is a good time to start baby flash cards... we do sight words with my 17month old and 3 yr old... and even to start recognizing leters and number.  but shes not behind at all!!

Quoting HistoryNutty:

Wow, I think my 19 month old daughter is behind. She can't form full words yet. Her blanket is B, which is still a cute nickname, Bender the cat is Nenda and Spock the dog is Pa. She doesn't know colors yet, even though when we color, I tell her all the colors. She just looks back down and scribbles.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Something I did with my kids at that age that they loved and still keep as teenagers was I used photos of them and their personal things and made books with them. I put one picture on each page and used heavy construction paper for the book. I would put a picture of them on a page doing something and write a short phrase under it like "This is me swinging", "This is me eating".  I would make one book like that and then one with places they have been. You can do them digital too. Then read the books to her. It will help her learn to read too. Just something I did. 

Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on May. 1, 2012 at 2:42 AM
Start teaching her how to count.
Finger painting is always fun.
We have blocks with numbers on them, my dd can count to 20 she will be 2 May 14th. Does your dd know colors? When she colors do you ask her what color it is? My dd knows the basic colors. We also have blocks with ABC's on them we are working on our ABC's and she is starting to recognize letters. I mix up the blocks and ask her what letter it is. Maybe get books with animals in it my dd loves hem and knows many animals by sight and the sounds they make. We are working on shapes also she can recognize some.
HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:42 AM
That sounds like a fun project! I can even do the Spanish words too! Watching Dora is NOT and option! :P

Quoting gum.drop:

shes not behind :)

her daughter may just be ahead... but this is a good time to start baby flash cards... we do sight words with my 17month old and 3 yr old... and even to start recognizing leters and number.  but shes not behind at all!!

Quoting HistoryNutty:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)