Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you are poor... *with edit*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What are you doing with an expensive smart phone/Droid phone bill?

**I asked about the phone BILL, not the actual phone...Just pointing this out.

I'm not replying to anymore responses- only "liking" them.  It's getting repetitive and everyone is going to think what they want, regardless of how I answer.  So, continue to agree/disagree.  Life goes on.  

Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 2:47 AM
Replies (441-447):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 80 on May. 3, 2012 at 6:14 AM

I'm the same way. I used to have a sprint line in only my name when df and I met. I paid almost 100 a mo for just my line (basic line). It was one of the first things to go when I lost my job. My df and I share his line now because he had a cheaper plan. We could afford all the bells and whistles now but I don't see the point. I'd rather spend that money on something else. The fact is we don't need two lines and we definitely don't need some "smart phone".

Quoting Anonymous:

Haha.  :D  

I wouldn't be able to justify having something that took away from basic necessities.  I realize a phone is a necessity nowadays, but a smart phone is not.  SO and I pay $55 for both of our phones TOGETHER per month.  Prepaid.  With the extra money, we've been able to live comfortably and we're not missing out on anything.  We can afford cable/internet, even, which we weren't able to before we got rid of HIS (I never had one) Droid.  He was paying $110 a month for just his phone alone- and that was a BASIC plan.  

I just do not see how ANYONE can justify it.  I don't care if you have to break a contract.  You realize that you can pay that off right?  Even if it affects your credit NOW, you can fix it LATER.  $350 isn't hard to pay off over time, and then you can pay less than half for your phone bill and spend it on better things.

I don't understand....

Quoting Anonymous:

OP- you are my new favorite anon. Just gonna put it out there :o)

Go ahead poor people, keep justifying yourself, you still live outside your means if you have luxuries or pay for the expensive version of a necessity and still collect state help. The system is broken because of you and your children will never get a chance at such an invaluable resource since you will suck it dry. Hope you raise them with better spending, saving and working habits!

AdellesMom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM
LMFAO! No one is sensitive about anything. Get the fuck over yourself.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah, that's exactly why there are so many women in Mom Confessions giving support.

There's about 30% support and 70% bitching/calling out/bashing.  Give me a break.  

The good thing is, I wasn't bitching.  Or calling out.  Or bashing.  I asked a question.  Looks like YOU got a little sensitive about it and decided to be the "bitcher" in this situation.  So, take a seat, chill out.

Quoting AdellesMom:

Actually, this is supposed to be a support forum. Not a "get up in everuone's business and bitch forum."

Quoting Anonymous:

It's foolish to tell me to mind my own business when that's what this whole site is about- getting into other people's business.  Sooooooo.  MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!  ;)

Quoting AdellesMom:

Why does it matter? It's not affecting your life in any shape or form. No one said that you're going to agree wit everything you see in life! MYOB

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:50 PM
2 moms liked this

When we were poor, I had a tracfone (pay as you go, and the phone itself cost $10). Sometimes my husband and I even shared the same cell phone. Now that I'm no longer poor, I still have that same phone!

I think that in general, some people have messed up priorities. Too much emphasis is put on appearances and having the best of everything

extremecheer
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Where at???

Quoting Elayna90:

I am not poor but my phone bill is not very high and I have a Droid.
We are on a family plan with my mom. Me and my dh pay about $60 for our two phones. We don't do the unlimited everything. We have low minutes, a small data package. But we don't go over and it keeps the price down for all of us.
When we were on our own plan we were paying insane amounts of money for next to nothing services and we were poor then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 81 on May. 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Honestly I hate it too. And lets face it, I very well doubt the majority of people on FS got their phone for free and someone else pays their bill. I call bullshit.

Just like why are you online when you should be paying for your own damn food? Oh free internet? please.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope, just wondering.  Hate standing in line at the grocery store, watching someone text/talk on an expensive smart phone and then paying for groceries with a Bridge Card (food stamps).  

Quoting Anonymous:

Someone could have given it to them. They could have gotten it before things went to shit. Maybe they need it for their job and their job pays for it and they don't know how to budget their money so they are always broke. 

What concern is it of yours? Does it affect your life? Is your life so sad that you honestly just really care? 

Elayna90
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 2:26 PM
At&t

Quoting extremecheer:

Where at???

Quoting Elayna90:

I am not poor but my phone bill is not very high and I have a Droid.

We are on a family plan with my mom. Me and my dh pay about $60 for our two phones. We don't do the unlimited everything. We have low minutes, a small data package. But we don't go over and it keeps the price down for all of us.

When we were on our own plan we were paying insane amounts of money for next to nothing services and we were poor then.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 82 on May. 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I have an iPhone and recieve food stamps. I've seen the looks as well but what you don't know about me is that :

1. It was given to me as a gift.
  2. I am on a cheap family plan that costs a few bucks more than a straight talk plan.
  3. I am a freelance writer and use it daily to submit info to clients and to get new clients while at the playground or library with my daughter. I work primary off of the phone rather than computer. It's a lot easier and allows me to get work done quicker.
  4. Apps like Field Agent allow you make enough cash to cover the cost. I'm actually paying less for the iPhone than for the straight talk phone with Field Agent.
  5. Since getting the iPhone, I have made more money than ever. In fact, after this month I will no longer be recieving food stamps as I will be making too much. :)

Now, not everyone is in my situation but before you judge, think. You might be looking a struggling sahm who's running her own business after her husband left her. Yes, some take the cost of their phones from the grocery money but not everyone does.

I judge too, it's human nature. I'm not offended, just trying to make you see things in a different light. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)