Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It is not stealing. It just isn't.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 415 Replies
6 moms liked this
If you have Wifi and you don't have it password protected and someone uses it, it is not stealing. I see this on here from time to time and I honestly don't get it. It's not rocket science to set up a password. And if you don't, its probably gonna get used from time to time.

I just don't see how that is stealing. For one thing, I'm pretty sure it is not illegal.

Anyone care to explain?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 3:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TygerLily62
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:23 AM
66 moms liked this
Well I'd say that if you're using something you'd normally have to pay for, for free, without permission it's stealing. Just because someone doesn't lock their car at night doesn't mean you can have their stereo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 1, 2012 at 3:24 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't think its necessarily stealing either. You're not taking anything away, making them pay more money, etc, you're just taking part in the plentiful bounty! It would be like "stealing" the apples that grow over 5 feet on your side of the fence from the neighbor's apple tree.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 1, 2012 at 3:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Someone's stereo = money

Someone's Wifi = *maybe* a slightly slower connection, no money involved

Quoting TygerLily62:

Well I'd say that if you're using something you'd normally have to pay for, for free, without permission it's stealing. Just because someone doesn't lock their car at night doesn't mean you can have their stereo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 1, 2012 at 3:24 AM
7 moms liked this

It is considered stealing, as you have to choose which connection to use. If you are using it you are limiting the persons ability that is actualy paying for the service. You being connected are slowing down their personal service. 

ElitestJen
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, it is stealing.

Yes, it is illegal if you're caught.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 1, 2012 at 3:26 AM
4 moms liked this

Someone is paying money for their wifi service, so yes you are costing them money and denying them their full service. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Someone's stereo = money

Quoting TygerLily62:

TygerLily62
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Some peoples time is money. But I'm pretty sure it is illegal if your caught.

Quoting Anonymous:

Someone's stereo = money

Quoting TygerLily62:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2012 at 3:27 AM
Is it? I have never heard of such a law. Do you have a link? Obviously not all states and counties have the same laws, so you may not be correct everywhere, but I would still like to see what you are referring to.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Yes, it is stealing.

Yes, it is illegal if you're caught.
MrCruzito
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:28 AM
10 moms liked this

It is unethical. 

They pay for it, its theirs and yea its dumb for them to not have a password but that really doesn't matter. 

Our was password protected and our neighbor asked for our password.  I told him I couldn't remember it.  If he wants to "share" my internet that I paid a buttload for, he should help pay the bill.  I proposed that to him and he thought I was nuts.  If I didn't have a password though or if someone cracked it, and found out someone was using my line, ya i'd be pissed...

It is stealing, its not yours there is no "FREE WIFI" sign in the yard.  plain and simple. 

sadeyez11
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I think its stealing. if you need to use the net that bad go to the library, they have free wifi. same with burger king, mcdonalds, and alot id other public places
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)