Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i think alimony/spousal support, is ridiculous

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

yep, totally do! I understand child support, its his kid too and should be financially responsible as well as acting like a parent should. But freaking spousal support? he isnt YOUR dad, he just doesnt want to be with you anymore, i think people should kinda just learn to get over it and take responsibility for themselves! 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 4:44 AM
Replies (71-80):
justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Life isn't always black and white. I was 18 my husband was 20 when we got married. We both worked hard at low paying jobs. He accepted a good job that easily supports us. We had a baby. We chose for me to stay home.

So here I am. I've been a stay at home mom for 6 years. I've mentioned getting a job, not because we need it but because I was bored. He took that as a personal insult.

If we divorced I could maybe get a job working retail, making $9/ hour. There's no way I could pay rent, car payment, childcare, buy food, utilities, etc. on that. Hell I couldn't pay my car payment on $9/hour.

Quoting Anonymous:

she didnt have to marry him in the first place, it was her choice, 

Quoting TygerLily62:

Yeah, that doesn't mean others should have to suffer the consequences.

Quoting Anonymous:

everyone has a right to change their minds, 

Quoting TygerLily62:

I agree to a point. But if you married a man who promised you a certian lifestyle forever and ever and then he ended the relationship why shouldn't you still get it?
Personally I wouldn't want it but I understand where people are coming from.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nomadbrat83
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Also it can be hard for mitaty spouses to have a lot of work experience as employment may be tough with frequent moving. I was lucky I always found a job while hubby was in the military. Though I did quit one job during one deployment because it required 24/7 on call and I couldn't find childcare available 24/7.

Quoting Anonymous:

Military spouses go through just as much. A family friend was married 25 years to an abusive asshole that was in the military. He put her out with their youngest child. She had never work on single day in her life. She barely could afford a pack of ramean noodles to feed her. He paid 50 a month. She earned every dime.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CrazyLife1996:

If the person worked throughout the marriage then no they shouldn't receive spousal support but if they didn't work then yes I believe the former spouse should pay up.

Even the military has that rule. If you were married for at least 10 years you are entitled to half of there retirement.

and...that...right there i think is bullshit. that man or woman worked hard as shit in the military. being deployed and such, and because for whatever reason...they get divorced....the "person" who is in the military has to give up half of there retirement. fuck that. that is why i am not getting married.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilbit53009
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM

i agree. although i think in certain situations the wife should get some type of spousal support but only for 6mos-1yr. like if the husband made alot of money and she was a SAHM, she should get a little something to keep her on her feet until she gets a job.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on May. 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Bitter much?

Quoting Anonymous:

People are too effing lazy to get up off their lazy asses and find a job. It applies to men and woman. if you married a bread winner, EVENTUALLY, that person is going to get tired of supporting you and your habits....your gonna end up divorced and then you stil have to pay for them.

No. Thats totally wrong in my eyes. Get a damn job, pay for yourself.

child support I get. But spousal support is downright lazy and stupid.

Stephanie329
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM
I don't know anyone who gets alimony. I don't have an opinion on it really, except it was much more common before women were a "norm" in the workforce.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

she didnt have to marry him in the first place, it was her choice, 

Quoting TygerLily62:

Yeah, that doesn't mean others should have to suffer the consequences.

Quoting Anonymous:

everyone has a right to change their minds, 

Quoting TygerLily62:

I agree to a point. But if you married a man who promised you a certian lifestyle forever and ever and then he ended the relationship why shouldn't you still get it?
Personally I wouldn't want it but I understand where people are coming from.

Why yes. The couple choose to get married. Rhey choose to have children, and they CHOSE to have one parent forgo working to stay at home.  IF after 10 years of this, They break up, why should she have to suffer because she didn't work for 10 years? 

Take me for example. Taking 10 years off of work would have cost me in the 500-800K range.

Do I have to work until i am 75 or 80 to get that lost income back?  It was a JOINT decision for a parent to stay home-so the parents should BOTH have to take responsability for that choice-not just the parent who stayed home and lost out on income.

Stephanie329
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm thinking she's married to someone who pays alimony.

Quoting Anonymous:

Bitter much?

Quoting Anonymous:

People are too effing lazy to get up off their lazy asses and find a job. It applies to men and woman. if you married a bread winner, EVENTUALLY, that person is going to get tired of supporting you and your habits....your gonna end up divorced and then you stil have to pay for them.

No. Thats totally wrong in my eyes. Get a damn job, pay for yourself.

child support I get. But spousal support is downright lazy and stupid.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:47 PM
Op are you married to someone forced to pay alimony or something? You seem bitter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaken1976
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Especially when she initates the divorce.  And especially if he didn't beat her or cheat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 23 on May. 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM
i was married for 9yrs...3 kids...he supported us 110%...i didnt want shit from him but child support...i coulda got some his 401k too...i wanted no ties to him anymore but to take care our kids
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN