Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am on welfare

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM
  • 106 Replies

I get 526 in FS 257 in cash and my rent and utilities are paid. My SO/BD doesn't live with us so he has to pay 145 a week in CS. I get 100 of that a month. He works and goes to school full time. To be on welfare you have to go to a program and put your kids in daycare(I pay 50 a week). I wanted to tell you ladies what my week is like. Mon-Fri. I wake up at 6am get myself mostly ready wake the kids at 630 leave the house at 745  I don't drive so i put my 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 year olds in the stroller (rain or shine) and walk 40 min to their daycare/preschool. I spent 2-3 hours walking/riding the bus to job interviews, job fairs, walking in and asking if people are hiring (i have to show proof of 3 hours of job search a day). i need to be to my program by 12 and leave at 5. I "volunteer" (i don't really have a choose) at a place with special needs adults. I spend 3 hours answering phone calls, and other secretarial duties then the other 2 hours working with the clients. i walk an hour to the daycare pick up the kids around 6-630. get home between 7-730 and eat watch a show or give a bath put the kids to sleep at 845-9 and cook dinner for the next night and if i could only do 2 hours of job search that day i apply for jobs on line. On Sat. SO comes over he stays till Mon. morning (he also comes one day in the week and takes the kids out of daycare at 11 and picks me up at 5 eats dinner with us and puts the kids to bed) i go to work cleaning rooms at a motel normally around 8 hours a day 930-6  but some Saturdays i get out early and we all spend the day at the park! i make between 70-120 a week. 

My so is in his last semester of college he goes to classes 3 days a week works 3 days and sometimes sat. 

I DON'T JUST SIT ON MY A**

I was kicked out at 17 for having a myspace with a pic on it. finished high school living at a few friends houses. Went to basic for the army when i was 18 right after high school was there 6 months trying to fight my medical discharge (same reason i dont drive). lost moved close to my SO working 2 full time jobs got pregnant and was told i had to quit both jobs for medical reasons. moved with my sister had DD got an under the table job for an insurance agent moved on my own got pregnant again had my ds we were doing great SO was working as well then my job ended my boss didn't tell me he was doing bad and just one day told me not to work that week turned into ever.....

by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LovelyJay512
by Momma Jay on May. 1, 2012 at 8:54 AM
I have nothing against those who need it! Sorry you went through all that. I have a question? How do they make you feel when you tried to get those benefits? Was the process long?
My mother told me they try and degrade you etc. and I find that not human whatsoever, like do your damn job! Kwim?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tatiana7
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Sounds to me like you are earning your keep. Sure, it's not easy. But, plenty of people have a lot to do in order to survive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyof2n0308
by Marissa on May. 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Well that must be nice. I have no job either due to a son with special needs. Do ALL that you do when it comes down to it., and get 100 in food stamps no cash. 340 in child support, from DS dad, and none from DDs dad. Right now Im freaking out because I have an extra 225 dollars in bills this month that I have NO idea how Im going to just poof it out of my pocket.

bluebunbun
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:59 AM

yes they do try to degrade you they make you feel as bad as they can i believe it is part of the weening out process. It took 2 months but then I got all the FS i originally applied for i stared with just FS then cash then rent i tried hard not to go on fully well first medicaid for dd and ds. Also they will not pay a utility or rent or something and you have to go down to their building you can get there at 8 and still be there at 2 not fun with 2 kids that nap and need lunch. This happens 2-4 times a month sometimes I will have to go back the next day. 

Quoting LovelyJay512:

I have nothing against those who need it! Sorry you went through all that. I have a question? How do they make you feel when you tried to get those benefits? Was the process long?
My mother told me they try and degrade you etc. and I find that not human whatsoever, like do your damn job! Kwim?!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 1, 2012 at 9:00 AM
2 moms liked this

Keep up what you doing you sound like a good mom no bashing from me.

carterscutie85
by Queen Bee on May. 1, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a job?

Also, how do you shield your kids from the rain in the stroller?

bluebunbun
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM

well I am sorry for your situation! how do you pay rent?

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

Well that must be nice. I have no job either due to a son with special needs. Do ALL that you do when it comes down to it., and get 100 in food stamps no cash. 340 in child support, from DS dad, and none from DDs dad. Right now Im freaking out because I have an extra 225 dollars in bills this month that I have NO idea how Im going to just poof it out of my pocket.

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on May. 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM

o.0

Mamie_85
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I kinda think that's the whole point of her applying for jobs.
I am curious about the stroller thing. That must be just miserable.

Quoting carterscutie85:

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a job?

Also, how do you shield your kids from the rain in the stroller?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluebunbun
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Thanks this post was for people that say FS should not exist also i dont know how anyone at least where i am can just sit home they make you do something.

Quoting Tatiana7:

Sounds to me like you are earning your keep. Sure, it's not easy. But, plenty of people have a lot to do in order to survive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN