Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you think spanking is abuse

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Do you actually do anything to stop it?

I hear all the time "Oh I dont spank my child because it is abuse"

So if you see me spanking mine, why dont you do anything about it? I bet if i slapped my child across her face you would step in wouldnt you? I think you KNOW its not really abuse, you just dont like it, dont do it, and feel you have to look down on moms who do.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Replies (51-60):
Mrs_Szontagh
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM

oh for pete's sake this is a ridiculous question. 

it CAN be, but if it's done RIGHT then no. 

do not spank out of anger; do not do ANYTHING while angry. 

put if i pop my son on the butt for misbehaving, no that's not abuse.
it doesn't work, so there's no point- but hell no it's not abuse.  

GoddessNDaRuff
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM

yep. I give you two chances to get right then I'm tearing thighs and butts up.

Quoting Anonymous:

follow me all you want. just because we are in public doesnt mean they can get away with whatever "because mommy wont spank us". I'll spank at home and i'll spank at the store. 

Quoting redneckmama4:

I have followed a mother and child to the bathroom when I was 18 (before I ever had kids) as I could feel a whoopin' comin' on. The child didn't get one.

I won't say anything as I don't like confrontation and if you're hittin' your child in public, chances are if I say somethin'...we's gonna go rounds.

But I have been known to give my hairy eye and shake my head. I also feel sorry for the children because if parents do it in public, what happens at home?

Hittin' is aggressive and physical to me and I will always see it as abuse.

mybabysmama35
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I don't think spanking is abuse as long as it isn't done in anger. My girls are very well behaved especially in public so I don't have to spank them. I usually just have to look at them and they straighten up.

emeraldangel20
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

reading your replies makes me think you are the kind of woman the op is talking about.

keep sitting up there on that high horse. something is going to knock you down one day

Quoting redneckmama4:

Cut out the sugar???

Quoting Anonymous:

SOME*

what works for me may not work for you. doesn't mean im abusive. i have very rambunctious kids who cant seem to keep their hands off things, and think they must dance and flail and run into people the whole time. telling them to just stop doesnt work.

Quoting redneckmama4:

Some kids follow rules in public without *swats* or bein' hit.

Quoting Anonymous:

follow me all you want. just because we are in public doesnt mean they can get away with whatever "because mommy wont spank us". I'll spank at home and i'll spank at the store. 

Quoting redneckmama4:

I have followed a mother and child to the bathroom when I was 18 (before I ever had kids) as I could feel a whoopin' comin' on. The child didn't get one.

I won't say anything as I don't like confrontation and if you're hittin' your child in public, chances are if I say somethin'...we's gonna go rounds.

But I have been known to give my hairy eye and shake my head. I also feel sorry for the children because if parents do it in public, what happens at home?

Hittin' is aggressive and physical to me and I will always see it as abuse.

Mrs.Worthen
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM

yeah but its made for teaching them and its constructive.. 

idk i just cant imagine hitting my kid, and them understanding that i'm doing it because i love them and want to teach them that bad people in middle school are gonig to hit them because they dont love them. It doesnt make sense.

you never answer the first question i asked.. do you only hit your kid when they hit you? because that is the basis of your whole excuse, and i highly doubt that is the only time you do it...

Quoting LectioDivina:

They still get hit in kickboxing and karate... Much harder than I would ever hit them...

Quoting Mrs.Worthen:

couldnt you send them to kick boxing or karate or something for that?

either way like i said, you go ahead with your nature self..

Quoting LectioDivina:

Actually that's the way almost every mammal on the planet raises their children.  Taking nature out of raising children is not an answer to me....

No, I only spank my children when the consequence of their actions would be too much to bear if they did it again. There's a lot of things that result in death if a child tries it again. ( sticking metal in an outlet, wrapping cords around their neck, running out into traffic)

And they need to learn that consequence to hitting because they will enter middle school, high school one day when someone might try to hit them or they might try to hit someone else. They need to know how to handle themselves when that happens.

Quoting Mrs.Worthen:

...so you only spank your kid when he/she hits you?

ETA: It still sounds stupid to me. Why would you show your kids what people who dont love them do? you cant expect them to differenciate between you or anyone else hitting them other than the fact that you are supposed to be their mother, protector, and care for them. I've never heard of a mother who wants to harm their child. even if its in a "lesser" form and even if its to teach them something... that sounds completely screwy

ETA2: regardless, you go ahead and hit your kid. I'll teach my how he is SUPPOSED to act.

Quoting LectioDivina:

It actually makes a lot more sense than you'd think...

Kids learn action = equal and opposite reaction.

In the real world, if they hit someone, they will get hit back. sad fact.

The point of a spanking is to be a much lessened yet true consequence of what would happen if they acted that way with someone who does not love them.

Quoting Mrs.Worthen:

i dont think its abuse, i just think its stupid to teach your kid not to hit and them turn around and spank them..

pretty crappy example setting IMO

but i dont bother other people, they can parent how they want.

AmyG1976
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I dont believe it hitting kids. I think it sends mixed messages. DONT Hit ppl learn to use your words.. then you hit the same kid I dont get it really. I dont.

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity"   MLK
~A wife of 14 years to B mommy of 16 years to J, 11 year old D, 9 year old M, and our miracle baby born at 26 weeks J 7 years.           http://www.freewebs.com/sacredjourneys/index.htm

GoddessNDaRuff
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM

WTF????

Quoting MomNtheRes:

I heard about that group, and I was disgusted. I've NEVER bragged about how "hard" I hit my child, and I've never enjoyed it. If you're enjoying discipling your child, generally you're doing something wrong. Discipline isn't fun for anyone, regardless of if it's sitting a screaming child in time-out or spanking them. 

Quoting tansyflower:

i keep my nose out of other peoples business...but i did make a huge stink and report a spanking group on here and got it removed from cm.  those woman were sick fucks who wanted pics of you spanking your kids without their clothes on and wanted you to tell stories about how red you could get your kids ass and how much you enjoyed it....it was NOT normal spanking.  definitely a sick fetish and i hope those woman get their kids taken away for child abuse :(

RhondaVeggie
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM
I worry that intervening will make the parent dial up the abuse. If a kid isn't being injured then I just give the parent a dirty look. I have intervened before when the 'parent' is hitting more than once or if the kid is really distraught because I'm not going to let some jerk who can't parent properly torture their child while I stand by. Most people who hit their children aren't exactly mentally stable and I don't want to upset them and make them beat their child more.
NDADanceMom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:27 PM

If i saw someone hit a child I would say something.   I have only seen it twice and both times I did step in.  One time I said, "mam you are scaring that child.  Take a breath and calm down."  She was "spanking" (that is code for hitting on the childs back side) with as much force as she could muster at least 7 times before I said anything.  He was about 4. 

MrKennys_Mom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM
That is terrible! Poor baby! I'm sure that baby is better off because someone interviened. I cant stand it when somebody sees something bad happening to a child they can help and just walk away.

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

I do not think that spanking with an open palm once on the bottom is abuse, but if I was out in public and saw a parent hit their child with a paddle or belt, I would call the police.  A few years ago I was at Target and this woman had her kid (around 2) in the cart at the check out line.  The child was crying and she was putting things on the conveyor belt, when she smacked the baby in the mouth with some sort of canned item.  The kids was bleeding and we called the cops.  Security came over as well and it was handled from there.  Still makes me sick just thinking about it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured