Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband (&CM) thinks we are poor.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
But I think we are average.

He brings home $500 a week before overtime. Our bills are about $1500 a month not including food.

We were saving up for a house but because of state 1 time homeowner money and our 700+ credit score we got the house with out a huge down payment. So we have about $1600 still in that account.

We live well within our means and only have 1 child. I am a SAHM.
When I was growing up we had $75 to last us til payday every week to feed 3 kids. That was poor.

I'm just sick of hearing "money's tight". No its not!!

EDIT: Okay, I'm poor. But happy for now. When LO gets bigger we will reconsider me getting a job.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
H_Tunisia_Remix
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM

It's all perspective... the concept of poor and poverty vary greatly depending on where you come from.

ReadWriteLuv
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM

On $2000 a month, there is no way you can afford that.

Quoting Anonymous:

3bed, 2 bath, living room, dining room, tv room, attached garage, 3.5 car garage in the back on an acre. $1012.63 a month as a mortgage. House was listed @169000 we got it for $113000 after its been on the slow market out here. We have 2 trucks (paid off) and they are insured.

We already bought the home.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I think he is right.  I cant imagine what kind of house you will be able to afford with that.  Even a modest home is about 1000 a month.  Then there are taxes, insurance, utilities, garbage, sewer.  A couple cars, insurance, clothes, food, etc.  On your current income I think it is not realistic to think you can buy a home.  

What happens if your furnace goes out, or windows need replacing?  Do you know how much that costs?  Our new furnace was 8000,  Windows installed?  about 1000 for decent ones.  A mortgage is not the expensive part of owning a home.  You are considered living below your means if your TOTAL housing expenses (mortgage, tax, insurance, utilities) are more than 1/3 of your income.  I dont know if you can find a place for $700 a month TOTAL even if you have a decent down payment.  

NDADanceMom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Materials are not cheap either.  Im working on stripping a built in buffet.  Just the stripper, and sanding materials have already cost me over $100.  

I had my BIL insulate my house for materials and beer only.  It cost me thousands in just insulation.  

Quoting Anonymous:

And my BIL is a contracter/ handy man, so any repairs just cost us materials + a case of beer. So far they have fixed the furnace and fireplace, and redone the babies room. We are still above water.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I think he is right.  I cant imagine what kind of house you will be able to afford with that.  Even a modest home is about 1000 a month.  Then there are taxes, insurance, utilities, garbage, sewer.  A couple cars, insurance, clothes, food, etc.  On your current income I think it is not realistic to think you can buy a home.  

What happens if your furnace goes out, or windows need replacing?  Do you know how much that costs?  Our new furnace was 8000,  Windows installed?  about 1000 for decent ones.  A mortgage is not the expensive part of owning a home.  You are considered living below your means if your TOTAL housing expenses (mortgage, tax, insurance, utilities) are more than 1/3 of your income.  I dont know if you can find a place for $700 a month TOTAL even if you have a decent down payment.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM
Not well off, no. But we are okay. And that's before overtime. His last check was 998.00 but I don't like that, because to get checks like that he has to work 7 days straight.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

If you make $2000 a month, roughly, and your bills are $1500 a month not including food, you are not well off.

Regina_Falange
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:06 PM
After all bills, food, gas and savings we only have 300$ for the month.

Quoting BlessedToBeMe:

I think being poor/average/rich has a lot to do with perspective-obviously since the 2 of you have different opinions

But to me, $500 a month left over for food & incidentals is more on the poor side. We'v been there so I'm just speaking from my own experience

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 1, 2012 at 2:06 PM
That's true. I'm just lucky we haven't had any major repairs

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Materials are not cheap either.  Im working on stripping a built in buffet.  Just the stripper, and sanding materials have already cost me over $100.  

I had my BIL insulate my house for materials and beer only.  It cost me thousands in just insulation.  

Quoting Anonymous:

And my BIL is a contracter/ handy man, so any repairs just cost us materials + a case of beer. So far they have fixed the furnace and fireplace, and redone the babies room. We are still above water.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM
It would be poverty for me. I hate to say this, but my dh makes $500, a day. :-/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM

There is no way you can afford an $1100 a month mortgage on that. Your mortgage should be a quarter of what you earn, not half or more than.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not well off, no. But we are okay. And that's before overtime. His last check was 998.00 but I don't like that, because to get checks like that he has to work 7 days straight.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

If you make $2000 a month, roughly, and your bills are $1500 a month not including food, you are not well off.

ShannyLouisiany
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM
yikes. sounds poor to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannyLouisiany
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM
why would you hate to say that?

Quoting Anonymous:

It would be poverty for me. I hate say this, but my dh makes $500, a day. :-/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN