Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband (&CM) thinks we are poor.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
But I think we are average.

He brings home $500 a week before overtime. Our bills are about $1500 a month not including food.

We were saving up for a house but because of state 1 time homeowner money and our 700+ credit score we got the house with out a huge down payment. So we have about $1600 still in that account.

We live well within our means and only have 1 child. I am a SAHM.
When I was growing up we had $75 to last us til payday every week to feed 3 kids. That was poor.

I'm just sick of hearing "money's tight". No its not!!

EDIT: Okay, I'm poor. But happy for now. When LO gets bigger we will reconsider me getting a job.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Replies (41-50):
NDADanceMom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:12 PM

We just bought a forclosed house.  It was in very bad shape, 5 bedrooms, 3 levels, 2 bathrooms still only cost us $25,000.  My family has helped us and we did a ton of the work ourselves.  We did have to hire major things out, and a pro sheet rocked it since it has to be perfect.  The bill on roof, windows, funrnace, AC, insualltion, sheet rock and a few other things.... $75,000 and we are only half way done.  The problem is that with some repairs you cant wait.  You HAVE to fix the hole in the roof.  You HAVE to stop the giant leak, you HAVE to replace the fridge.  Home owners need thousands available to them at any given time.  Sometimes renting is a better option when you are just getting started. 

Quoting Anonymous:

That's true. I'm just lucky we haven't had any major repairs

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Materials are not cheap either.  Im working on stripping a built in buffet.  Just the stripper, and sanding materials have already cost me over $100.  

I had my BIL insulate my house for materials and beer only.  It cost me thousands in just insulation.  

Quoting Anonymous:

And my BIL is a contracter/ handy man, so any repairs just cost us materials + a case of beer. So far they have fixed the furnace and fireplace, and redone the babies room. We are still above water.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I think he is right.  I cant imagine what kind of house you will be able to afford with that.  Even a modest home is about 1000 a month.  Then there are taxes, insurance, utilities, garbage, sewer.  A couple cars, insurance, clothes, food, etc.  On your current income I think it is not realistic to think you can buy a home.  

What happens if your furnace goes out, or windows need replacing?  Do you know how much that costs?  Our new furnace was 8000,  Windows installed?  about 1000 for decent ones.  A mortgage is not the expensive part of owning a home.  You are considered living below your means if your TOTAL housing expenses (mortgage, tax, insurance, utilities) are more than 1/3 of your income.  I dont know if you can find a place for $700 a month TOTAL even if you have a decent down payment.  

AngeLnChainZ
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Sounds like you want to live in a reality that you don't have...

You are not "well off" or even "okay", yea you may be making day to day but all of the extra expenses that can and do come up will quickly turn that "okay" into a quick struggle for your family. I side with your hubby on this one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM
Because, her husband makes that amount a week and, it might come off as rude or snobish.
Quoting ShannyLouisiany:

why would you hate to say that?

Quoting Anonymous:

It would be poverty for me. I hate say this, but my dh makes $500, a day. :-/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedToBeMe
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM

umm, cool? sorry? not sure how to respond that that-lol

its not like i'm saying I consider you dirty or interior, I'm just saying when my husband's income was where we only had a couple hundred left at the end of the month before I set aside grocery money I felt like we were poor

But there are times with my husband's job at we only have a few hundred left after bills & I feel like things are really tight

Quoting Regina_Falange:

After all bills, food, gas and savings we only have 300$ for the month.

Quoting BlessedToBeMe:

I think being poor/average/rich has a lot to do with perspective-obviously since the 2 of you have different opinions

But to me, $500 a month left over for food & incidentals is more on the poor side. We'v been there so I'm just speaking from my own experience

mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on May. 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM

um it kind of sounds like it. Im not being mean at all, im saying if you are bringing in 2000 a month before food and bills are 1500, that doesnt leave a whole lot for extras. If that were me, i would sa money is tight

Hannah-Belle
by on May. 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Also, I'm not sure how old you child is, but kids get more expensive with age. Its somethng to consider.

Derari
by :::Achtung::: on May. 1, 2012 at 2:13 PM
I think people are only supposed to spend not more than 40% of their income on fixed expenses...but the other side is your not in debt o that's great.
themissheather
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 2:17 PM
I agree. My DH and I live in NJ and with the high cost of living here that would income would be tight. However, I have talked to other ladies on here that live in other states and there that income would allow a comfortable life. Honestly, my family's income is higher, but our credit is terrible and we are years away from owning a home. To me, that makes you richer than us.

Quoting Anonymous:

To our family it would be poverty. But it depends on where you live and the cost of living...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on May. 1, 2012 at 2:17 PM

That is poor...and I'm guessing you might get help from the state for food/medical. I can see where he is coming from.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Lol! Why?

1012mtg+
75 Comed+
60 Nucor+
70comcast+
181 AT&T+
50 insurance+
80 trash (every 3mths)=
About 1530

There is only 2 adults to feed and he makes good overtime. Plus like I said we still have money left over from what we had saved for the down payment.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

On $2000 a month, there is no way you can afford that.

Quoting Anonymous:

3bed, 2 bath, living room, dining room, tv room, attached garage, 3.5 car garage in the back on an acre. $1012.63 a month as a mortgage. House was listed @169000 we got it for $113000 after its been on the slow market out here. We have 2 trucks (paid off) and they are insured.

We already bought the home.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

I think he is right.  I cant imagine what kind of house you will be able to afford with that.  Even a modest home is about 1000 a month.  Then there are taxes, insurance, utilities, garbage, sewer.  A couple cars, insurance, clothes, food, etc.  On your current income I think it is not realistic to think you can buy a home.  

What happens if your furnace goes out, or windows need replacing?  Do you know how much that costs?  Our new furnace was 8000,  Windows installed?  about 1000 for decent ones.  A mortgage is not the expensive part of owning a home.  You are considered living below your means if your TOTAL housing expenses (mortgage, tax, insurance, utilities) are more than 1/3 of your income.  I dont know if you can find a place for $700 a month TOTAL even if you have a decent down payment.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)