Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My husband (&CM) thinks we are poor.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 138 Replies
But I think we are average.

He brings home $500 a week before overtime. Our bills are about $1500 a month not including food.

We were saving up for a house but because of state 1 time homeowner money and our 700+ credit score we got the house with out a huge down payment. So we have about $1600 still in that account.

We live well within our means and only have 1 child. I am a SAHM.
When I was growing up we had $75 to last us til payday every week to feed 3 kids. That was poor.

I'm just sick of hearing "money's tight". No its not!!

EDIT: Okay, I'm poor. But happy for now. When LO gets bigger we will reconsider me getting a job.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
couponluv72
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM

i think that the national level for what is considered poor would place you under the poverty level, but its a pretty higher bar than i would agree with. i would not feel poor in your situation. 

Kodysmommy928
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

He makes $26,000 per year, you would be below the poverty line in most places. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM
2 moms liked this
It sounds like you are making it, but i wouldnt say you are well off or anything. More like you are functioning poor. There is nothing wrong with saving and living within your means. Just because you have a little extra doesn't mean you need to blow it. Sorry, but i agree with your husband
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlessedToBeMe
by Member on May. 1, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I think being poor/average/rich has a lot to do with perspective-obviously since the 2 of you have different opinions

But to me, $500 a month left over for food & incidentals is more on the poor side. We'v been there so I'm just speaking from my own experience

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM
To our family it would be poverty. But it depends on where you live and the cost of living...
kellieknits
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Was he raised in the same circumstance you were? I'll bet that has a lot to do with his perception of your situation. While you may be "poor" on paper (at or below the poverty line), your perception and expectations have a lot to do with it. If your bills are paid and you don't have to sacrifice basic comforts, then I wouldn't say you're poor. If you're always wondering where your next meal, or next bill can be paid or the next utility that will have to wait on payment, then I'd consider you poor. From what you've said, I'd say you're doing pretty well, regardless of your income.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM
I'm not saying to spend anything. I like that we have a small cushion.

I'm just sick of him whining. We are not well off by any means and cannot afford to be going on sprees. But I never ask him too. We are comfortable.

Quoting Anonymous:

It sounds like you are making it, but i wouldnt say you are well off or anything. More like you are functioning poor. There is nothing wrong with saving and living within your means. Just because you have a little extra doesn't mean you need to blow it. Sorry, but i agree with your husband

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 1, 2012 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
If your husband got laid off or injured tomorrow and couldn't work, you only have enough saved for one month. So i would say, money is definitely tight and that you're one bad day away from being on the high end of poverty to the very low end of dirt poor....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxbyamomentx
by on May. 1, 2012 at 1:52 PM

That's almost exactly what I make, and DF has been between jobs lately so we haven't been 'using' or relying on his income. Our current rent is a little ridiculous for this area (almost $1200/month), and we still manage. We have no debt, an excellent credit score, and are only waiting to buy a house until we can move to an area we actually like. We're moving locally in July and are looking for a place for rent that is half of what we're paying now (it's very doable and still a nice place). I would say it really depends on the area...I think we do very well and it sounds like you're alright too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 1, 2012 at 1:52 PM
You'd consider us poor than. We have $350/month for food and gas.

Quoting BlessedToBeMe:

I think being poor/average/rich has a lot to do with perspective-obviously since the 2 of you have different opinions

But to me, $500 a month left over for food & incidentals is more on the poor side. We'v been there so I'm just speaking from my own experience

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN