Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can someone please explain to me...

Posted by   + Show Post

where in the hell this epidemic of "spanking is abuse" came from?!  Good lord, everywhere I turn I hear "Someone's going to call the law on you for spankin' those boys!" or people on here running some "holier than thou" posts about parents who spank are disgusting child abusers.  When and WHERE did this come from?!  Is it Supernanny?!  Is it New Age parenting books?!  I'm sure the majority of the population today were spanked as children, or at least popped on the hand when they were little to deter bad behavior.  Now all of a sudden it's taboo and disgusting abuse?  -_-  I'm pretty sure if someone decided to come up to me and call me a disgusting child abuser for popping one of my twins on the rear-end for him trying to run into traffic or hitting someone, we'd have a fight on our hands.

Gimme a freakin' break...

by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Replies (41-50):
couponluv72
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM

because the face does not have a nice layer of fat on it. smacking a child in the face could accidentally cause real harm . but spanking on the hiney is a temporary get their attention sensation that when used properly is a great discipline technique for some mother's and children . 

Quoting Anonymous:

That's fine... So if spanking doesn't work and I find out through trial and error that punching them in the face is an excellent form of punishment for my particular kid..... should I be allowed to do it?

Where isthe line drawn? Why is causing them pain on their bums ok but not their face?

Quoting _mimimosley_:

What works for one child does not work for every child.

Quoting Anonymous:

I was never spanked and turned out just fine....

Where do you draw the line? Why is it ok to beat a child's bottom but not slap them across the face???

I swear.... I find it a little perverted that parents insist on inflicting pain on their kid's bum when there are thousands of other ways to discipline in a non violent way......

Please do not friend request me. I am not accepting any friend invites. sorry. 

im sorry

areles
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this
The only time I can recall being spanked was when I was 7 or 8 and out at a local pub with my parents for dinner. (Hey, it was the 80s!)

My parents were good friends with the owner. I was always given a couple of dollars in quarters for the jukebox / video games, the rule being once they were gone, they were gone.

Anyway, one night I was all wound up, and once I finished my quarters I still wanted more. Asked my parents, and they predictably said nah, you're sol.

So, I asked ken, the owner and barkeep. I mean, he was basically a family friend. Ken cheerfully started to hand me a couple, and my stepdad pushed his hand back and said 'no thanks, she's fine.' And he shot me a look that said, 'you are in big trouble.'

We got back to our table and he told me I was going to get a spanking when we got home, with the belt, because you don't ask people for money.

All the way home I shook in my shoes, dreading that belt. He gave me two hard swats, and looked pained as he delivered them. After he said, 'are you going to remember this now?' I tearfully nodded.

30 years later, I've never taken money from anyone. Never asked to borrow. Never applied for public assistance. If I get too much change back at a store, I return it. And so forth. Further, i typically cover the check when out with my friends, and give (not loan) my family or friends money when they need it. But take money? Never. I pay my own way for everything.

I'm glad I got that spanking that night.

And that's been how I've raised my own son. In my opinion, when usefully, carefully, appropriately delivered, the message sticks.

I disagree with parents who deliver a swat for any little old thing, or who do so without advising before and after precisely the lesson they're trying to teach. But when done properly, I think it's a useful tool to have in the parental repertoire.

Quoting parentalrights1:

People like to control everyone else when there is something they don't agree with.

They think that because they found some biased "Scientific evidence" on the interwebz that they have proof that it's bad.

I say experience and history proove it's good but whatever.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danie24
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM
Don't worry. I only name call nut jobs who hurt children.

Thankfully, I only ever come across people like that online.

Quoting couponluv72:

i was just thinking that too, spanking is wrong but name calling which leaves much more harmful damage and lasting damage at that apparently is ok with this mom. fabulous

Quoting LOVEiink:

Just curious, but do you teach your children to call other people names and talk down to them for having different views on parenting?  You called me an "aggressive nut job", "pathetic", "disgusting", "too stupid", "lazy" and whatever else you were thinking...you're quite the charmer.  ;)  I'm sure when your children start calling you names, you'll just coddle 'em til they drop, hmm?

Quoting danie24:

"we'd have a fight on our hands"

LOL that doesn't surprise me. Typical aggressive nut job.

Sorry, but intentionally causing a child physical pain is disgusting. And pathetic.

It's a shame you're too stupid to actually use that brain of yours to teach and discipline your child instead if hurting them.

Lazy people will come up with anything for an excuse..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WrapNLoseInches
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM

growing up, my mom used paddles.. or race car tracks or spatulas or whatever she could get her hands on. last thing i was spanked with was a dresser drawer, literally.. the side portion had come apart (of the drawer) and mom threw the dresser out but used that side slat to stir paint.   couple days later it was in arms reach, and SWAT! the end with dried paint landed against my rear end! that hurt worst than anything she's ever used.    I only got swatted 2 more times after that (with that drawer side) and I was "corrected" in my behavior!

my son.. ONLY gets my hand and nothing else.. period. and very rarely.

LOVEiink
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM

You're an odd lady for comparing "discipline" to molesters, child abusers, and human "garbage" as you put it.  I'm pretty sure your kids will be the cyber bullies on FB or whatever they'll have when they get on the internet, since they've got a wonderful teacher... :|  I'm pretty sure I asked where the trend came from...not how many different names you could think of to call someone.  Go get a life.

Quoting danie24:

Don't worry. My kids don't play on Cafemom :)

If you prefer to play nice with chid abusers, molesters or any other form of human garbage.. that's your call.

I can't help but feel disgust towards people who inflict physical pain on innocnt children.

And I'm certainly not going to bite my tongue on an online forum meant for such discussions.

Quoting LOVEiink:

Just curious, but do you teach your children to call other people names and talk down to them for having different views on parenting?  You called me an "aggressive nut job", "pathetic", "disgusting", "too stupid", "lazy" and whatever else you were thinking...you're quite the charmer.  ;)  I'm sure when your children start calling you names, you'll just coddle 'em til they drop, hmm?

Quoting danie24:

Sorry, but intentionally causing a child physical pain is disgusting. And pathetic.

It's a shame you're too stupid to actually use that brain of yours to teach and discipline your child instead if hurting them.

couponluv72
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:35 PM

naw, you are not a narrow minded nasty name calling person who would call their child a name at all i am very sure. you spout name calling so easily, i say BS. you would have had some respect for your ridiculous stance if you had not resorted to juvinile name calling . 

Quoting danie24:

Don't worry. I only name call nut jobs who hurt children.

Thankfully, I only ever come across people like that online.

Quoting couponluv72:

i was just thinking that too, spanking is wrong but name calling which leaves much more harmful damage and lasting damage at that apparently is ok with this mom. fabulous

Quoting LOVEiink:

Quoting danie24:

im sorry

couponluv72
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM

sniff sniff do you smell troll at all?

Quoting LOVEiink:

You're an odd lady for comparing "discipline" to molesters, child abusers, and human "garbage" as you put it.  I'm pretty sure your kids will be the cyber bullies on FB or whatever they'll have when they get on the internet, since they've got a wonderful teacher... :|  I'm pretty sure I asked where the trend came from...not how many different names you could think of to call someone.  Go get a life.

Quoting danie24:

If you prefer to play nice with chid abusers, molesters or any other form of human garbage.. that's your call.

I can't help but feel disgust towards people who inflict physical pain on innocnt children.

And I'm certainly not going to bite my tongue on an online forum meant for such discussions.

Quoting LOVEiink:

Quoting danie24:

im sorry

LOVEiink
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:36 PM

My dad used a paddle or a belt...he very rarely had to use it either.  My grandma was notorious for pulling the switches off the tree.  I think I was even spanked with a belt straight off the rack in a store before.  Needless to say, it only took a few times of me trying my elders before I just quit and started being more respectful.  

Quoting WrapNLoseInches:

growing up, my mom used paddles.. or race car tracks or spatulas or whatever she could get her hands on. last thing i was spanked with was a dresser drawer, literally.. the side portion had come apart (of the drawer) and mom threw the dresser out but used that side slat to stir paint.   couple days later it was in arms reach, and SWAT! the end with dried paint landed against my rear end! that hurt worst than anything she's ever used.    I only got swatted 2 more times after that (with that drawer side) and I was "corrected" in my behavior!

my son.. ONLY gets my hand and nothing else.. period. and very rarely.

GirlWSlingshot
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Oh no. She is serious. I've seen her tell someone they're essentially abusing and poisoning their child by giving them watered down apple juice occasionally because it's not organic. She takes herself eeeextremely seriously.

Quoting couponluv72:

Quoting LOVEiink:

Quoting danie24:

Quoting LOVEiink:

Quoting danie24:

LOVEiink
by on May. 1, 2012 at 5:37 PM

That I do...probably one of the many "anonymous" posts I've seen... -_-

Quoting couponluv72:

Quoting LOVEiink:

Quoting danie24:

Quoting LOVEiink:

Quoting danie24:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)