Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Recently I have found out that there have been cases of Whooping cough in our area, and there has been one child sick in my daughter's school. My daughter is UTD on all immunization, but I have a 10 month old baby who is at a greater risk of getting sick. My step son comes to us on weekends, and he is always sickly, no one takes the child to the doc, and now he has all the symptoms of first stages of pertussis. I have asked that he be tested before he comes back to our house, and that was met with anger, from his mother and my husband. I am prepared to take my 2 children out of the house until I know that he is not sick...am I being crazy? Would anyone do the same thing? My husband thinks I am over reacting, and is pissed at me, but I don't want to put my children in harms way just because his child is basically neglected.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
MrKennys_Mom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM
I think you are avoiding the question because you dont want to admit the choice you would make. I have one child and two step children. I love my step children but if I was forced to make a choice I would absolutely with no shame choose MY CHILD.

Quoting BaseballMom34:

There is no choice to be made they are all our children.....Would you chose one of your children over the other?
Quoting MrKennys_Mom:

So if forced who would you choose?

Quoting BaseballMom34:

I do and so does he..in our house all the children are equal.

Quoting MrKennys_Mom:

Thats not how it works for most people. Do you have any step kids? I promise you if your dh was forced to choose he would choose his bio children.

Quoting BaseballMom34:

Maybe in your world but not in mine. I'll be damned if my dh were to treat my child any differently than our two he would have been out on his ass a long time ago...when you marry a man you take care of him the same as you should any child that might come along with him.

Quoting MrKennys_Mom:

That just isnt how it works. I it comes down to the life of a bio child or the life of a step child the bio child will be chosen everytime.

Quoting BaseballMom34:

Sorry she married a man with a child they all come first if not she needs to get out.

Quoting MrKennys_Mom:

Her actual children need to come first for her. He is not her child.

Quoting BaseballMom34:

He is your husbands child...its the responsibilities of both parents to care for the child..would you exile one of your children from the house if they were sick? If thus child is not being cared for you need to stand up and resolve the issue not idly sit by and let it go.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Orbie1985
by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:55 PM

No you are not over reacting.  Go get tested as well as get your children tested.  Pertussis is very dangerous. 

*Edit* let him know that if SS has Pertussis that it could KILL your BABY.

BaseballMom34
by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Why was he not taken to an urgent care if he was sick all weekend?

Quoting Natasha99:

Thank you Mr Kenny's Mom...I feel like I have done everything I as a step parent can do for this child, but I can only do so much. I don't understand...I was told that if someone has a cough for a week, that has not gotten better, that they need to be seen by a doctor for testing...when I told his mother he had been sick all weekend, here, around my kids, she laughed it off, and was not at all concerned. Sometime I hate being a step parent!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 6:56 PM
Just because his son has a cough doesnt mean he has pertussis. The cough is a very distinct one. Has the son been immunized? If so it is probably not that anyway. My son has a cough from allergies and sometimes his athsma cause a dry irritated cough.
And like others have said, he is your husband's son too so he could have taken him to the dr when he was at your house if you were that worried. Dont just blame the mom.
BaseballMom34
by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:56 PM
I'm not avoiding anything...I just don't agree with your narrow minded view....

Quoting MrKennys_Mom:

I think you are avoiding the question because you dont want to admit the choice you would make. I have one child and two step children. I love my step children but if I was forced to make a choice I would absolutely with no shame choose MY CHILD.

Quoting BaseballMom34:

There is no choice to be made they are all our children.....Would you chose one of your children over the other?
Quoting MrKennys_Mom:

Quoting BaseballMom34:

Quoting MrKennys_Mom:

Thats not how it works for most people. Do you have any step kids? I promise you if your dh was forced to choose he would choose his bio children.

Quoting BaseballMom34:

Maybe in your world but not in mine. I'll be damned if my dh were to treat my child any differently than our two he would have been out on his ass a long time ago...when you marry a man you take care of him the same as you should any child that might come along with him.

Quoting MrKennys_Mom:

That just isnt how it works. I it comes down to the life of a bio child or the life of a step child the bio child will be chosen everytime.

Quoting BaseballMom34:

Sorry she married a man with a child they all come first if not she needs to get out.

Quoting MrKennys_Mom:

Quoting BaseballMom34:

He is your husbands child...its the responsibilities of both parents to care for the child..would you exile one of your children from the house if they were sick? If thus child is not being cared for you need to stand up and resolve the issue not idly sit by and let it go.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elijahXmom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 6:58 PM
I'd do the same
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teenmomandpr587
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM
2 moms liked this

isnt the dad and you basically contributing to the little boys neglect since you refuse to take care of him and take him to the doctor as well. 

This is your husbands biological child, you cant ask him to pick and choose which children are more important than the others just because the other two came out of your vagina. 

MrKennys_Mom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM
It not narrow minded at all. Its realistic. Go to the stepmom group and ask. Are you going to answer my question or continue to be afraid of your own answer?

Quoting BaseballMom34:

I'm not avoiding anything...I just don't agree with your narrow minded view....

Quoting MrKennys_Mom:

Quoting BaseballMom34:

Quoting MrKennys_Mom:

Quoting BaseballMom34:

Quoting MrKennys_Mom:

Quoting BaseballMom34:

Quoting MrKennys_Mom:

Quoting BaseballMom34:

Quoting MrKennys_Mom:

Quoting BaseballMom34:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babie113
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM
I would do the same honestly ..I had to keep my SD away from my lo when he was newborn because she had chicken pox and head lice ...she was 14
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrKennys_Mom
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM
Step parents cant make medical desicions.

Quoting teenmomandpr587:

isnt the dad and you basically contributing to the little boys neglect since you refuse to take care of him and take him to the doctor as well. 

This is your husbands biological child, you cant ask him to pick and choose which children are more important than the others just because the other two came out of your vagina. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)