Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should she get alimony? What are your thoughts?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'll use false names...

"Sara" married "Bill" right out of high school.  She worked various odd jobs, and supported them while Bill was in college.  They lived off her salary while he went through college.  Then he got accepted into medical school.  They took out some loans, but mostly lived on her salary as a grocery store checker and baby-sitter.  She also prepared all his meals (mostly) through med school, did his laundry, etc etc

Eventually he went into residency, she continued to work and they received the (low pay) resident salary.  He then became an official doctor (internal medicine), she eventually became pregnant and quit her job.  THey had twin boys.  She stayed home with them.  They lived a good life, and she continue to stay home.  She did lots of volunteer work, but no real job- after all she was married to a doctor............

When the twins were 18, and seniors in high school, Bill admitted to having an affair with a medical assistant.

Long story short, he filed for divorce and it was finalized when the twins were 19.

Since they are 19 she won't get child supprt.

Should she get alimony?

If yes, For how long?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Replies (21-30):
GoddessNDaRuff
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:20 PM

yes she should.

MeganGallagher
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Yes of course
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilbit53009
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Yes...for 1 year to get on her feet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 1, 2012 at 7:22 PM
Without a doubt..she didnt want the divorce.why should she lose her family and be desitute??.for that length of marriage she should get it indefinately..she built her life around that man she deserves it
QJsmommy
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM
Actually you can get child support until they are 21 that's what the law is here anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fifi834
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM

She hasn't held a job in 20 years and 40-something years old. If she has a good attorney, she should come out nicely.

Quoting achorney:

Good luck finding a court that will pay alimony unless it's a settlement issue. It's phasing out here where I live.

Why can't she get a job? It's spousal support, not punishment for him having an affair. 

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM

1/2 of everything and spousal support i'm not sure how long though

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM
3 moms liked this
Doesnt matter why they are getting divorced. In my state she would get 1/2 of everything and alimony for up to 1/2 the numbers of yrs they were married (ie 20 yrs equals 10 yrs of alimony). I dont have to agre or disagree, it is her right.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 1, 2012 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. my FIL had to pay alimony for over twenty years.

Quoting Fifi834:

She hasn't held a job in 20 years and 40-something years old. If she has a good attorney, she should come out nicely.

Quoting achorney:

Good luck finding a court that will pay alimony unless it's a settlement issue. It's phasing out here where I live.

Why can't she get a job? It's spousal support, not punishment for him having an affair. 

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM
Yes. She raised his children for 18 years after investing in his education. She should be given alimony and tuition to go to school and support herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN