Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I've officially ruined my 16 year old son's life. Moms of teens, enter here to see how you can too!!!

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM
  • 113 Replies
4 moms liked this

I called my insurance guy today (American Family) to ask what I need to do because Corey got his drivers permit and will become a restricted license in October.  He told me about their Teen Safe Driving program and it's FREE for Am Fam customers.

Here's the low-down:

First off - Am Fam pays for EVERYTHING.  The camera, installation and service. (The service alone for a non customer is $60 a month.)

A small camera will be installed on the rearview mirror of his car (when he starts driving alone).  It will have a view of inside the car, and outside over the hood.  Whenever there is any swerving, sudden accelleration, sudden braking, or anything that could be deemed unsafe driving, I will receive an email of the video of the intsance in question.  It records 10 seconds at a time.  I will know if he was on his phone, wearing his seatbelt, or turned around talking to friends in his car.  Perry (my insurance rep) told me that he has seen a DRASTIC decrease in tickets and accidents since this program became available.  :)

I told him that I will be signing up for this, and he is thoroughly PISSED.  But I like the peace of mind it's giving me. :)   I've been with Am Fam for 10 years now and have always been VERY happy with them.  This program is also available nationwide. So if you don't have Am Fam, and you have teenagers, maybe now is the time to call for a quote. :) 

Just wanted to share!

by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wydowness
by Kusabi on May. 1, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Interesting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chasinrainbows
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:36 PM
Perfect! I will definitely keep this in mind when my teen begins to drive!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM
2 moms liked this
Neat idea but I wouldn't do it.
MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Good for you!!! I would do this in a heartbeat!!!

JustCJ
by ~yeerp~ on May. 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM
That's so cool! My 18 year old has her road test on the 21st. She has had her permit since she was sixteen. I didn't feel she was mature enough yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xMommaKayx
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM
2 moms liked this

This sounds wonderful!  Here in NJ, especially around this time of year, there is always some sort of horrible accident with a carload of inexperienced drivers.  I would rather embarrass my kids than have to experience that anyday.

MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

why not?

Quoting Anonymous:

praisinghim2day
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Why not? *Not being snarky, just wondering what the reasoning would be, so I can see another point of view.*

Quoting Anonymous:

heavenly1462
by Jessica on May. 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM
My daughter is only 5, but I would love to do this when she's a teen if its still around!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MandiK
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM
2 moms liked this

That's pretty cool. My oldest is four, I wonder what they'll have by the time she starts driving! Lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured