Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I've officially ruined my 16 year old son's life. Moms of teens, enter here to see how you can too!!!

I called my insurance guy today (American Family) to ask what I need to do because Corey got his drivers permit and will become a restricted license in October.  He told me about their Teen Safe Driving program and it's FREE for Am Fam customers.

Here's the low-down:

First off - Am Fam pays for EVERYTHING.  The camera, installation and service. (The service alone for a non customer is $60 a month.)

A small camera will be installed on the rearview mirror of his car (when he starts driving alone).  It will have a view of inside the car, and outside over the hood.  Whenever there is any swerving, sudden accelleration, sudden braking, or anything that could be deemed unsafe driving, I will receive an email of the video of the intsance in question.  It records 10 seconds at a time.  I will know if he was on his phone, wearing his seatbelt, or turned around talking to friends in his car.  Perry (my insurance rep) told me that he has seen a DRASTIC decrease in tickets and accidents since this program became available.  :)

I told him that I will be signing up for this, and he is thoroughly PISSED.  But I like the peace of mind it's giving me. :)   I've been with Am Fam for 10 years now and have always been VERY happy with them.  This program is also available nationwide. So if you don't have Am Fam, and you have teenagers, maybe now is the time to call for a quote. :) 

Just wanted to share!

by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM
Replies (31-40):
luv.my.kids.365
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I like how the mom who bashes you goes anonymous and the other mom who said no initially too... lol

I love it. It's not big brother at all. More like covering yours and his behinds. If it recorded full time, I could see the issue. But heck, I would put that in my car. 

praisinghim2day
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Am Fam never sees the videos. It's for the parents only.

Quoting Chris030406:

Way too much big brother for me!

praisinghim2day
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I certainly feel like I do :)

Quoting mama_l:

Peace of mind and the teen is safer .... Sounds like you win all around!

praisinghim2day
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM

It's a nation wide program... you still can!  And... it stays on until the parent says to remove it, or the child is no longer living at home... whichever comes first. :)

Quoting noel1979:

I wish we had that here. I would have done it on my son.. Way to go for u.. He will get over it, or he wont drive

Bethsunshine
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I love that idea!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 1, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Too "big brother" for me and my family. I want to be able to trust my kids to drive when they are old enough just as my parents did me without having to constantly monitor every.single.move they make. 

noel1979
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

My son will be 19 in Aug, so theres no point now,, but maybe i will put it in on my husband lol

Quoting praisinghim2day:

It's a nation wide program... you still can!  And... it stays on until the parent says to remove it, or the child is no longer living at home... whichever comes first. :)

Quoting noel1979:

I wish we had that here. I would have done it on my son.. Way to go for u.. He will get over it, or he wont drive

crazymomof2374
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM

I would love to have this with my 17 year old DS.

rennez
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:53 PM
Awesome. I love am fam.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
praisinghim2day
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Weird huh?  I understand why they do it though.  If somebody has an unpopular opinion, they get bashed from here to kingdom come... no matter how petty the difference of opinion is. 

I can see why people would think "big brother", I didn't specify that the only people who can see the video are the people who I show it to.  Perry assured me that Am Fam never sees the video, nor does the device company.  The device automatically sends the video directly to my email.

I'm all for anything that will cover our butts! lol  Unfortunately my ds doesn't see it that way.  And honestly, if the roles were reversed, I wouldn't either.  He will understand when he holds his first born for the first time. :)

Quoting luv.my.kids.365:

I like how the mom who bashes you goes anonymous and the other mom who said no initially too... lol

I love it. It's not big brother at all. More like covering yours and his behinds. If it recorded full time, I could see the issue. But heck, I would put that in my car. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN