Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

overweight mamas......

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

anybody overweight able to give birth vaginally no problems? no complications? I am currently 260 lbs and just found out I am pregnant. everybody keeps telling me cuz I am so overweight I will not be able to deliver vaginally and will have to have a c-section. that is my number 1 fear. I don't want a c-section. I want to deliver naturally vaginally like I did w/ my son. w/ my son I was 175 when I got pregnant and by the time I delivered him I was just over 200 lbs. but I had no problem having him vaginally. and my labor was very quick and easy. but I am quite a bit heavier now. and a bit more worried about being forced into a c-section. anybody else heavy like me and able to have a baby vaginally? help me ease my fears and worrying please! everybody that I personally know that was overweight like me did end of having c-sections. but I not sure if weight was the sole reason.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM
I was 238 when I got pregnant, 263 when I delivered and I had an 8 hour natural delivery. I was worried about my weight and my ob was really supportive and positive. He never even mentioned a c-section. I ate very very healthy, drank tons of water and walked at least a mile every single day.
It is possible for you to have a healthy vaginal birth.
bellawomen
by Summer on May. 2, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Don't let any doctor bully you! I would consider hiring a midwife instead and start researching doulas. I am a doula and I know there are a few more around here, so feel free to ask questions. Since you are overweight, just be more cautious of your blood pressure and food intake in regards to gestational diabetes.

I am overweight and pushed out my son just fine, no meds :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annas_momma
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:06 AM
I was a little more then that when I gave birth. I had no issues of any sort. I'm sure you will be fine momma. :)

And congratulations!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsbrimer
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:07 AM
I was 220 when i had my first.. vaginally.. then got pregnant right away with #2. Had her vaginally at 262 lbs no problem. Now im 215 trying to lose it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on May. 2, 2012 at 12:10 AM

My issues have nothing to do with my weight. There is something wrong with my pelvic floor muscles so I am not able to push a baby out. With my first I had her vaginally but they pulled her out with forceps. With my second I had an emergency c section due to cord prolapse. And to be honest with you. My c section was MUCH easier to heal from than my vaginal birth was.

Ashgambit
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:11 AM

My SIL is 300+ lbs and had both her children vaginally, no complications.  Don't listen to anyone but your doctor - every pregnancy is different. 

Congrats on being preggie, mama :)

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on May. 2, 2012 at 12:13 AM

lmao

Quoting Anonymous:

you would think a bigger lady's vag would be bigger and thus easier.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM
I weighed 320 when I had my son he was born vaginally. There were no complications with the delivery. The rest of the pregnancy was a mess though. Try not to gain too much weight, exercise(as long as Dr. Says ok) and keep your stress down. Good luck and congrats!!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2012 at 12:15 AM
I weighed 320 when I had my son he was born vaginally. There were no complications with the delivery. The rest of the pregnancy was a mess though. Try not to gain too much weight, exercise(as long as Dr. Says ok) and keep your stress down. Good luck and congrats!!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Eat healthy, stay active. You may actually lose weight =)
Look into the brewers diet. It could help prevent common complications that may lead to csection.

Good luck and congrats!! You should be fine =)

thank you. I plan on staying active. I was actually about 275 at my heaviest a few months ago. I was starting to work out and eat healthier. lost the 15 lbs and opps got pregnant. but I plan on continuing on eating healthy and walking and swimming. I have really bad morning sickness right now so haven't been able to do much. but I been maintaining last few weeks. right now I not craving any sweets or anything bad. just a lot of fruits. so I hoping I can at least maintain if not lose this pregnancy. but we'll see.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)