Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Im not sure what i wanna do, and i have time to think about it..

I just want some opinions.

by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM
Replies (41-50):
JC2223
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:30 AM

You can read all the books, get a million outside opinions, but you won't really know if it's for you until you try it. At least leave your self open to giving it a try.

Formula feeding was not an option for me personally, but DD was unable to latch correctly. By 3 weeks, direct breast feeding became impossible, but my mindset was still completely against FF. It wasn't the direct nursing that was important to me, it was her getting strictly breast milk. So I switched to strictly pumping to feed and did that for 15 months. This is what worked best for me and my DD. Through trial and error, you'll find what works best for you too.

momto2girls89
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:42 AM
Lol I meant to quote PP not you sorry, long night I have 2 sickies and a teether.
Cluster feeding is why I gave up bfing my first. This time I was expecting it so it was easier! Everyone around me told me she was starving because she ate so much but I knew better!
Quoting Maevelyn:

lol I was refering to the part about the tendency to misinterpret the normal actions of a baby. Education is important even if you're just thinking about it. 

Quoting momto2girls89:

This is NOT true. I went into it with the "i might do it" attitude and I'm still breastfeeding 5 months later. My daughter didn't have her first bottle until after 4 months and still rarely gets one.

Everybody is different, mind you.

Quoting Maevelyn:

This is very true a lot of women are thrown off by "cluster feeding" which is when the baby is small, digests breast milk easily and is feeding "all the time." They assume they aren't producing enough but in fact this phase is beneficial bc the baby is ensure enough milk will come in to allow him or her to grow :) Formula fed babies seem more "satisfied" to some moms bc they eat less often but this is bc formula is harder to digest. Often knowing the reason behind a phase (any phase not just bf phases) makes them way more manageable.  I enjoyed bf but it also came easier to me than some, I think bc I was prepared and not nervous at all. 

Quoting Anonymous:

If you go into it with "eh..I might do it" you will not succeed. You will misinterpret almost everything a normal newborn does as "Oh no! don't make enough!"

If you go into it with knowledge, support, determination and more knowledge, then you'll more than likely succeed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atyou
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:43 AM
If you can.....do!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I have done both and prefer breastfeeding. Save sooooo much money and it's better for baby.
Breast milk doesn't have recalls.
Breast feeding lowers your risk or breast cancer.
Breast feeding lowers your child's risk of SIDS, diabetes, obesity, and other illness
Breast feeding burns 500 calories a day so it makes it a lot easier to lose your baby weight.

Good luck in your decision!
Maevelyn
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this

My mom told my grandmother to "shut up" when she tried to tell me dd #1 wasn't getting enough. I don't know what I would have thought w/o her by my side I'm sure I wouldn't have perceived my bf experience as "easy" w/o guidance. 

Quoting momto2girls89:

Lol I meant to quote PP not you sorry, long night I have 2 sickies and a teether.
Cluster feeding is why I gave up bfing my first. This time I was expecting it so it was easier! Everyone around me told me she was starving because she ate so much but I knew better!
Quoting Maevelyn:

lol I was refering to the part about the tendency to misinterpret the normal actions of a baby. Education is important even if you're just thinking about it. 

Quoting momto2girls89:

This is NOT true. I went into it with the "i might do it" attitude and I'm still breastfeeding 5 months later. My daughter didn't have her first bottle until after 4 months and still rarely gets one.

Quoting Maevelyn:

This is very true a lot of women are thrown off by "cluster feeding" which is when the baby is small, digests breast milk easily and is feeding "all the time." They assume they aren't producing enough but in fact this phase is beneficial bc the baby is ensure enough milk will come in to allow him or her to grow :) Formula fed babies seem more "satisfied" to some moms bc they eat less often but this is bc formula is harder to digest. Often knowing the reason behind a phase (any phase not just bf phases) makes them way more manageable.  I enjoyed bf but it also came easier to me than some, I think bc I was prepared and not nervous at all. 

Quoting Anonymous:

If you go into it with "eh..I might do it" you will not succeed. You will misinterpret almost everything a normal newborn does as "Oh no! don't make enough!"

If you go into it with knowledge, support, determination and more knowledge, then you'll more than likely succeed.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:20 AM

My opinion might be a little harsh:

If you are able to breastfeed then you should put 100% effort into trying and learning about it before you give birth. I don't think choosing formula makes you a bad mom but I do believe it makes you look uneducated because I can't see myself feeding my children formula if breastmilk is available. Breastfeeding is easier, healthier, cheaper and has hundreds of benefits. Formula is man made and causes tons of problems and has been linked to adult obesity.

poietes
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
It never hurts to try. I love it, but Im lazy and didnt want to clean bottles or actually get up in the middle of the night. Its also so much cheaper. Its also a good excuse to say "sorry I cant do that now the baby needs to eat" :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2012 at 10:21 AM

i was anything but calm and relaxed when i nursed.

Quoting HelloKitty86:

I love it, and so does everyone I know :) It helps you stay calm relaxed, and it's a great way to bond with your baby!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Make a choice after you have at least tried nursing. 

momto2girls89
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:22 AM
I 100% used the breastfeeding moms group on here and kellymom.com
I don't know anybody IRL that knows anything technical about breastfeeding. My SIL does but her baby was born 7 weeks after mine.
It was so hard but I'm SO thankful I stuck with it, I couldn't imagine not nursing now!
I think first 8 weeks is hardest then it's downhill. :-)

Quoting Maevelyn:

My mom told my grandmother to "shut up" when she tried to tell me dd #1 wasn't getting enough. I don't know what I would have thought w/o her by my side I'm sure I wouldn't have perceived my bf experience as "easy" w/o guidance. 

Quoting momto2girls89:

Quoting Maevelyn:

Quoting momto2girls89:

Quoting Maevelyn:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)