Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Paramedics on here?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
I'm just wondering if anyone can give me some insight and answer some questions for me? I'm enrolled to start Paramedic courses this fall at the community college/Allied Health program.

Are you happy with your career choice?

Are you satisfied with your income?

How long were you in school? (I believe my course is 11 months)

Were you required to become an EMT before Paramedics training? (A girl at my church had to become an EMT before taking the Paramedics, but she is going to a different school than I am.)

Once you become certified are you certified to work anywhere in the state, or just your county?

Did your school offer job placement? If not, how did you go about finding a job?

Thanks!
Posted by Anonymous on May. 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Bump!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM
Bump!
bellawomen
by Summer on May. 1, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Bump.

Everyone I know who is a paramedic had to be and EMT first. I thought you had to put in so many (500?) EMT hours before you could even apply for a true paramedic school.

Check out your school's success rates before you go. Don't ask them, make them show you inwriting and how they got those stats. No community college I know has a paramedic program.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ffpm10
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:50 PM
I never wanted to be a paramedic, just a firefighter. I took the course -12 months at the hospital plus it was a bunch of college credits- because I had to have it to get hired as a firefighter.
I enjoyed it for the most part, but would still rather run into a burning building.
I was a full time union firefighter making 75k. I'm now retired/disabled.
I can work anywhere in the state, but any time you switch hospital systems, you need to test in and get a letter of good standing.
No job placement, just took fire department tests.
Yes have to be an EMT in my state before you can be a medic, school doesn't make a difference as far as that goes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ffpm10
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:51 PM
And you need to be able to keep up on the continuing Ed. 120 hours every 4 years here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jb0520
by Platinum Member on May. 1, 2012 at 11:51 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM
Some states have state certification and then there is the national registry. Each state determines which certification they honor. I wasnt a medic, but my ex husband is and I was an EMT-I. Some states do not honor another states certification so if you move you will have to train all over again. I did my two EMT levels in a year and the medic program would have been another 9 months. That was in NC in the late 90's. There was also the option to get an Associates degree with the Paramedic certification.

I wish you the best! I did it for 5 years and loved it. My ex husband has been a medic for about 14 years and still loves it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on May. 1, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Oh just to add, I have never heard of a medic program where you did not have to be an EMT first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM
That course starts around the same time as the paramedics course, and it's set up to coincide with each other. You then must pass you Emt Basic certification before the end of the fall semester.

Quoting FL2AK:

Oh just to add, I have never heard of a medic program where you did not have to be an EMT first.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2012 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this
It's through Allied Health which is on campus. It is the only Paramedic school in the area. I will be taking emt basic along with it. The only requirement there is that I must be emt basic certified by the end of the fall semester.

They do have a good rating on the DOH website, one of the better success rates.

Quoting bellawomen:

Bump.

Everyone I know who is a paramedic had to be and EMT first. I thought you had to put in so many (500?) EMT hours before you could even apply for a true paramedic school.

Check out your school's success rates before you go. Don't ask them, make them show you inwriting and how they got those stats. No community college I know has a paramedic program.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured