Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

would you file a claim? updated.

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: would you file a claim?

Options:

yes

no

other (explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 169

View Results

Earlier this evening while I was playing outside with my kids, the neighborhood kids and our dog (our dog was like the neighborhood dog.. she knew everyone), a car came speeding around the corner and hit my dog. I rushed her to the emergency vet, but unfortunately, her back was so severely broken that they couldn't do anything for her so we had to put her down.

Update:
wow... this is getting WAY out of hand. To set the record straight, I DID NOT ASK WHO WAS AT FAULT!!!!!!  I simply asked if YOU (as in: if THIS HAPPENED TO YOU, would you file a claim/report?)! Never did I say it was okay for my dog to be off a leash nor did I say I was going to sue or try to get money. I was just talking about filing a claim about this woman hitting and KILLING MY DOG.

Some additional information so everyone doesn't have to read through all of these replies:
**I WAS OUTSIDE! With my kids AND my dog.
**We live on a cul de sac
**She was NOT on a leash because she was RUNNING WITH THE KIDS on their bikes. It would've been very dangerous for the kids to hold a leash while riding their bikes. (I'm actually glad that she DIDN'T have a leash, because if she did, she would've pulled the KID into the car as well. Even though I'm heartbroken about my dog dying, I'm very grateful that it was the dog and not a CHILD).
**The cops were called by the woman that hit my dog. The officer asked if either of us wanted to file a report and BOTH of us said no. However, the kids and other neighbors (adults included--- everyone was outside after everything happened) said that this woman is ALWAYS speeding. And that it looked like she did nothing to try to avoid the dog and actually looked like she was TRYING to hit the dog.
**The officer said I COULD file a claim because hitting a dog is just like hitting someone's property.
**There was NO DAMAGES to the car.
**There is NO blind corner where the dog was hit. If she was paying attention, she would've seen the kid and the dog. The kid even had time to yell, "WATCH OUT!"

by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:40 AM
Replies (21-30):
HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:58 AM
It's a small claims issue not a criminal issue. If she hit your mail box or parked car and it was a simple accident you couldn't press charges but you could sue her for costs

Quoting Bree0922:

the officer said that hitting an animal is like hitting someone's property.

Quoting atyou:

Sorry about your dog.

Since when can you press charges for hitting an animal?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on May. 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM

I'm sorry : (

Bree0922
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Bikes aren't for sidewalks though.... so, they ride in the street.

Quoting wickedfiress:

I don't see how the kids being in the street also somehow justifies your need to place the blame on the driver, when it was the irresponsibility of the adults in charge of the children and animals that were in the street that caused this. I live in a cul de sac and my children and pets do not play in the street. It is a street, it is dangerous, it is not for playing.  

Quoting Bree0922:

the kids were all in the street riding their bikes and she was running with them (we live on a cul-de-sac, but they just happened to be at the opening right as the driver came around the corner).

Quoting wickedfiress:

You wouldn't let your child play in the street, why would you let your pet? It's dangerous for ANY living thing.  I don't mean to kick you when you are down, but it absolutely infuriates me when people want to place all the blame on the drivers when this sort of thing happens.

Bree0922
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:01 AM

that's what i mean then.. :P sorry... i'll fix the question.

Quoting HIJKLM:

It's a small claims issue not a criminal issue. If she hit your mail box or parked car and it was a simple accident you couldn't press charges but you could sue her for costs

Quoting Bree0922:

Quoting atyou:

Sorry about your dog.

numonestunar
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:02 AM
By the sound of it, you should of had your dog on a leash and out of the street.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wickedfiress
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:02 AM

That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard.   

I really, really, really hope that you are just bored and trolling. 

Quoting Bree0922:

Quoting wickedfiress:

I don't see how the kids being in the street also somehow justifies your need to place the blame on the driver, when it was the irresponsibility of the adults in charge of the children and animals that were in the street that caused this. I live in a cul de sac and my children and pets do not play in the street. It is a street, it is dangerous, it is not for playing.  

Quoting Bree0922:

the kids were all in the street riding their bikes and she was running with them (we live on a cul-de-sac, but they just happened to be at the opening right as the driver came around the corner).

Quoting wickedfiress:

You wouldn't let your child play in the street, why would you let your pet? It's dangerous for ANY living thing.  I don't mean to kick you when you are down, but it absolutely infuriates me when people want to place all the blame on the drivers when this sort of thing happens.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:03 AM
In that case, yes. Vet bills are expensive. Although I'd research leash laws first. If you lose you pay court costs.

Quoting Bree0922:

that's what i mean then.. :P sorry... i'll fix the question.

Quoting HIJKLM:

Quoting Bree0922:

Quoting atyou:

Sorry about your dog.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bree0922
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:03 AM

it's dangerous to ride a bike and hold a leash.. that's why she wasn't

Quoting numonestunar:

By the sound of it, you should of had your dog on a leash.

numonestunar
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM
Bikes aren't allowed on sidewalks here. Only walkers. No bikes, skateboards...anything.

Quoting wickedfiress:

That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard.   

I really, really, really hope that you are just bored and trolling. 

Quoting Bree0922:

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting Bree0922:

Quoting wickedfiress:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM

So your dog was in the street, no? Then I would not consider that the driver's fault and would not file a claim. It's not like you would win if you did file.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)