Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Spanking and Abuse: Learn the difference!!!!!

Spanking, yes i know these posts are beyond played out but I am so sick of people calling it "abuse”. Get a dictionary and educate yourself on the difference. It's downright shameful to insenuate that a parent who spanks their child is abusing them. Abuse is not a term to be used lightly under any circumstances!!!!! For those of you who would call CPS for witnessing a mother swat her child on the bottom take a min to think about this: The time that CPS has to spend filling out the paperwork for your false report and investigating it could've been used to save the life of a child who is truly being abused. While they are investigating the home of GOOD parents who happen to have different views on discipline than what you do, they could have been at the home down the street of the little boy/girl who has broken bones and bruises from daily beatings. Or the child who is locked in a closet, crying for help and starved for days at a time. Think before you speak, and realize that we don't have to agree on discipline but we should at least be respectful of each other as parents. Instead of bashing moms who spank, why don't you advocate for children who are TRULY being abused in this country everyday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
Sarahbeth7
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM

We have spanked twice for very SERIOUS issues and my DS has not done it since. Meanwhile I watch other mom's not disciplining their children and letting them do whatever they want and get hurt while doing it. Hmm...that sounds like a dis-service to me.

Rocker.Mom.07
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Agreed. I was spanked as a child. I am fine. There were no negative long term effects from my parents disipline choices. If people seriously call CPS on a parent who spanks... /facepalm. Hippy. lol ^.^

NikiSellers0806
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:47 PM
3 moms liked this
I didn't say MY definition now did i? I said get a dictionary and look then up because people use the term abuse so loosely. Nor did i say this about anyone agreeing on wether or not spanking is ok. We can all agree to disagree, but as adults we should be able to be respectful of each other.

Quoting redneckmama4:

I don't have to use your definition. Plain and simple.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM
3 moms liked this
That's what my problem is! Got spanked as a kid and now my IQ is shot! Funny I was at the top of my class when I graduated in Network Engineering. But never been in any kind of trouble. Interesting.

Quoting Anonymous:

Kids who are spanked have lower IQ and more behavioral problems as adults......... look it up!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
deedra979
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  That's the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard.  I was spanked as a child.  I have an above average IQ and I am a productive member of society.  I've never even been pulled over.

Way to generalize.  Where are your facts?  Do you have a link to a study?  What was the population that was involved in the study?  

Quoting Anonymous:

Kids who are spanked have lower IQ and more behavioral problems as adults......... look it up!

Admin, DV and Beyond

OkieMom2673
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM
6 moms liked this
That's an asanine statement. My boys are very well behaved, no behavioral issues, very smart. And were spanked. Same with my dh and I. Your statement makes you sound very ignorant and misinformed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NikiSellers0806
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not about agreeing on how we discipline our kids, its about incorrectly using a word to define spanking just because you don't agree with it.

Quoting danie24:

Whatever.

Intentionally causing a child physical pain in order to teach or punish is lazy, pathetic, uneducated and abusive.

Say whatever you like to make yourself feel better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM
I believe punching in the face.

Only had to so it twice, and for very serious things (running into the street after I told him not to and trying to climb out the 3 story window after I told him not to).

He knows he's loved and in the 15 years if raising him I only had to punc him in the face twice. There is a difference between beating and one punch to the face. Kids know the rules and consequences. I talk to him before and after his punishment and it made him a wonderful person :)
danie24
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM
Just because you think a word is used incorrectly doesn't mean it is.

Quoting NikiSellers0806:

It's not about agreeing on how we discipline our kids, its about incorrectly using a word to define spanking just because you don't agree with it.

Quoting danie24:

Whatever.

Intentionally causing a child physical pain in order to teach or punish is lazy, pathetic, uneducated and abusive.

Say whatever you like to make yourself feel better.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redneckmama4
by Loree on May. 2, 2012 at 12:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I have been very respectful through all of these posts but I find it funny that the spanker's haven't...

Tellin' people who find it abusive to spank to get a dictionary to educate ourselves borders on rude, if not condescending.

I live in a very poor comminuty, I know what the hell abuse looks like and it's spankin' where I come from.

Just because you don't leave a mark on their bodies doesn't mean that it doesn't mark their insides.

Quoting NikiSellers0806:

I didn't say MY definition now did i? I said get a dictionary and look then up because people use the term abuse so loosely. Nor did i say this about anyone agreeing on wether or not spanking is ok. We can all agree to disagree, but as adults we should be able to be respectful of each other.

Quoting redneckmama4:

I don't have to use your definition. Plain and simple.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)