Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Spanking and Abuse: Learn the difference!!!!!

Spanking, yes i know these posts are beyond played out but I am so sick of people calling it "abuseā€¯. Get a dictionary and educate yourself on the difference. It's downright shameful to insenuate that a parent who spanks their child is abusing them. Abuse is not a term to be used lightly under any circumstances!!!!! For those of you who would call CPS for witnessing a mother swat her child on the bottom take a min to think about this: The time that CPS has to spend filling out the paperwork for your false report and investigating it could've been used to save the life of a child who is truly being abused. While they are investigating the home of GOOD parents who happen to have different views on discipline than what you do, they could have been at the home down the street of the little boy/girl who has broken bones and bruises from daily beatings. Or the child who is locked in a closet, crying for help and starved for days at a time. Think before you speak, and realize that we don't have to agree on discipline but we should at least be respectful of each other as parents. Instead of bashing moms who spank, why don't you advocate for children who are TRULY being abused in this country everyday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Replies (31-40):
GomezMami2908
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Agreed. 

I think it's actually even disrespectful as hell to compare the two. Abuse is not something to ever be said or taken lightly. It's pretty sickening how that word get tossed around here so damn often. 

Quoting manicMOM_DLC:

O_o...

i pray you never experience a child who has ACTUALLY been abused...

i HAVE been spanked and I HAVE been abused.  The way a child feels when spanked is NOTHING compared to the way a child feels when abused.  get over yourself

Quoting danie24:

Whatever.

Intentionally causing a child physical pain in order to teach or punish is lazy, pathetic, uneducated and abusive.

Say whatever you like to make yourself feel better.

manicMOM_DLC
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

it is and it trivializes what those who really have been abused go though.  when you make everything fall into the category of something... that category becomes a joke.

Quoting GomezMami2908:

Agreed. 

I think it's actually even disrespectful as hell to compare the two. Abuse is not something to ever be said or taken lightly. It's pretty sickening how that word get tossed around here so damn often. 

Quoting manicMOM_DLC:

O_o...

i pray you never experience a child who has ACTUALLY been abused...

i HAVE been spanked and I HAVE been abused.  The way a child feels when spanked is NOTHING compared to the way a child feels when abused.  get over yourself

Quoting danie24:

Whatever.

Intentionally causing a child physical pain in order to teach or punish is lazy, pathetic, uneducated and abusive.

I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.

-DLC

OkieMom2673
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:06 PM
I don't read biased articles, or statistics. I look at the facts I see in my own life, and the lives of the people around me. And I talk to the kids that I work with. All of my adult friends were spanked and are all intelligent and have no behavioral issues. If this was true it would be an epidemic, due to spanking being the norm, in the past.

Quoting danie24:

LOL she's right, look it up.

I've read several studies and peer reviewed journals that state exactly that.

Just because you and your kids turned out Ok doesn't mean anything.

I know plenty if grown adults who were sexually abused, beaten and neglected as children who are smart, kind and turned out just fine. That doesn't mean sexual abuse and neglect aren't harmful.

Quoting OkieMom2673:

That's an asanine statement. My boys are very well behaved, no behavioral issues, very smart. And were spanked. Same with my dh and I. Your statement makes you sound very ignorant and misinformed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Kids who are spanked have lower IQ and more behavioral problems as adults......... look it up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegan1221
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Agreed...I spank...not abuse.

RhondaVeggie
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this
If your husband hit you for doing something he didn't care for would that be abuse? In some relationships it is OK because it is mutually agreed upon but the vast majority of women would consider that abuse. How is it any different when a parents hits a child? It's not. It's abuse, simple as that. Is hitting a kid as bad as some other forms of abuse? Not really but lesser forms of abuse are still abuse.
NikiSellers0806
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:08 PM
No my intention was not to be rude at all. (in all fairness reading what someone has to say vs. hearing it in person sometimes makes the message unclear or misunderstood). It infuriates me to no end that people throw around the word abuse, it degrades the true meaning of the word. A few years back in the town where i live a couple had their 11 or 12 yr old son chained to a bed. He was starved almost to point of death. He was found wearing a diaper, covered in his own urine and feces. THAT is abuse!!!

Quoting redneckmama4:

I have been very respectful through all of these posts but I find it funny that the spanker's haven't...

Tellin' people who find it abusive to spank to get a dictionary to educate ourselves borders on rude, if not condescending.

I live in a very poor comminuty, I know what the hell abuse looks like and it's spankin' where I come from.

Just because you don't leave a mark on their bodies doesn't mean that it doesn't mark their insides.

Quoting NikiSellers0806:

I didn't say MY definition now did i? I said get a dictionary and look then up because people use the term abuse so loosely. Nor did i say this about anyone agreeing on wether or not spanking is ok. We can all agree to disagree, but as adults we should be able to be respectful of each other.

Quoting redneckmama4:

I don't have to use your definition. Plain and simple.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegan1221
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I agree with you. My brother in law was probably borderline beat as a child...absolutely NOT right but his Mom pulled him out of that situation. He is now a Physicist. I was spanked and am just fine and my son gets a spanking occasionally as deemed necessary.....and he's an A student and is a very good kid.

Quoting OkieMom2673:

I don't read biased articles, or statistics. I look at the facts I see in my own life, and the lives of the people around me. And I talk to the kids that I work with. All of my adult friends were spanked and are all intelligent and have no behavioral issues. If this was true it would be an epidemic, due to spanking being the norm, in the past.

Quoting danie24:

LOL she's right, look it up.

I've read several studies and peer reviewed journals that state exactly that.

Just because you and your kids turned out Ok doesn't mean anything.

I know plenty if grown adults who were sexually abused, beaten and neglected as children who are smart, kind and turned out just fine. That doesn't mean sexual abuse and neglect aren't harmful.

Quoting OkieMom2673:

That's an asanine statement. My boys are very well behaved, no behavioral issues, very smart. And were spanked. Same with my dh and I. Your statement makes you sound very ignorant and misinformed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Kids who are spanked have lower IQ and more behavioral problems as adults......... look it up!

Faith, Hope & Love "I Will Have Faith in YOU, Hope For YOU To Come Home To Me & Love YOU More Every Day".
mcr17
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

its not abusive. beating a child for no reason is abuse. giving a few swats on the but for musbehaving isnt.

Quoting danie24:

Whatever.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on May. 2, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Quoting couponluv72:

the haters will never admit that spanking is not the same as a beating

Because it is the same. And I wou;ld think the only ones who are ''haters'' are the ones who hit their kids.

couponluv72
by on May. 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting couponluv72:

the haters will never admit that spanking is not the same as a beating

Because it is the same. And I wou;ld think the only ones who are ''haters'' are the ones who hit their kids.

lovely for you. i am glad i am not in such a delusional state of mind to think like you do

Please do not friend request me. I am not accepting any friend invites. sorry. 

im sorry

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)