Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is your parental logic behind this action?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have been doing a lot of research on spanking lately.  Non biased research.  From reputable sources, scientific studies, doctors, pediatricians, psychologists and the like.  You know what I found?  There are no reputable educated sources that endorse spanking as a good form of discipline.  The only thing I could come up with that was pro-spanking was the book "Train Up Your Child", (that book by the way is being cited as a factor for 3 childrens deaths)  & James Dobson the guy that writes "Focus on Family".  These are hardly reputable sources. 

I am a youngerish mom and I have only one baby who will be 3 soon.  I am hardly an expert on parenting and I really don't think I know it all.  I know very little in fact, I parent with my heart and I enjoy parusing parenting books that I take little pieces from.  One of the things that stuck out for me in all my research is that even if there are 100 hugs to 1 spanking, that spanking can hold a bigger influence on your child than those 100 hugs.  Can is the key word, its not a certainty of course but it is a risk.  For me that is true.  I believe all kids are different, nature has a lot to do with the children we raise.  I was born very tender hearted.  My parents were not big spankers, talking to my mom she argued I was only spanked twice.  This puzzled me cause those hundreds of memories I have of getting spanked, apparently were all threats with no execution. 

One particular memory that I carry is coming home after the streetlights went on, I was about 5 years old.  I remember being 3 or so blocks away when the lights flicked on and I became terrified instantly.  Thinking, "OMG OMG OMG It was an accident!"...I was in complete fear of my parents.  I got home, they were mad but had stoic faces.  My mother said I needed a spanking, I was bawling immediatly.  Tears streaming down my face she went to my closet and pulled out my baton I used for twirling, a metal rod capped with hard rubber and ribbon out the ends.  She bent me over the toilet and I had my head turned looking at her as she pulled the baton back ready to spank me. 

Before speaking to my mother about this just weeks ago, I of course thought she went through with it, I thought I was spanked with that baton.  According to my mother though, it was only a threat, my mom said right after pulling the baton back she said, "Are you gonna come home late again" and I sobbed "NO" and she never spanked me.  My memory doesn't recall that at all, nor does it recall actually getting spanked.  Apparently just the threat instilled this great fear I had. 

This indicates to me that its true what the studies say, that even with a hug hit ratio of 100 to 1, you run the risk of the child being more influenced by that 1 hit than 100 hugs.  It was true for me, and apparently I didn't even get hit.  The act leading up to the unexecuted spanking was enough to scar me for life. 

Studies also say that parents who spank are mostly likely to have had parents that spank.  I believe this to be true, whenever I ask people they always argue that their parents did it and they are fine.  Whats my excuse?  I blame my tender heart.  My parents spanked me and I wasn't fine.  I mean ya im a good human and a sucessful adult but mentally my childhood was pretty fucked up.  I just can't stress enough how terrified I was of my parents.  I didn't act right because I wanted to, I acted right because I was afraid not to.  Lots of parents say "Thats good!  You supose to fear the consequences!  Your supose to respect/fear your parents"...I dont believe that one can respect someone they are afraid of. 

Lots of parents also say that they spank and their children arn't afraid of them.  Well, my parents didn't think I was afraid of them either, only as an adult do my parents know that I was terrified of them.  They were pretty hurt by it.  My brother on the other hand was spanked a lot more than I was and after speaking with him, he is pretty neutral on spanking, he doesn't seem to think it effected him negatively. 

This just goes to show, how different children are and as parents, its hard to read how well or badly they are taking something. 

As an adult experiencing the things i experienced and knowing the feelings I felt, I don't want to risk having my child afraid of me.  I dont want to give him the chance to remember a spanking over 100 hugs. 

I didn't mean for this to get so long, I really didn't want to put any of my personal experiences in it.  I began this only wanting to ask everyone:

What are your reasons for believing spanking is a good tool? 

Im not trying to be a bitch, I really wanna know  the thoughts behind a parent ignoring the opinions of millions of doctors to spank.  What makes these parents believe they know more than the American Academy of Pediatrics? 

Call me ignorant, I dont mean for this to be malicious.  Im genuinely curious. 

I have a co worker with three kids and he spanks, and him and I are able to discuss the pros and cons with civility and not offending eachother.  In our discussions though, he has no pros, other then he find it the most effective.  When I present him with the long term effects done by professional, his face kinda goes blank like a bomb went off, but he ignores it and still thinks the short term effects are most important and kinda shoo shoos the pros.  He stands by the "My parents did it to me and im fine" arguement...So, I would like to know the rationality, the logic that goes on in the minds of parents that endorse spanking. 

I was gonna put a little disclaimer that would've read something like, "Please keep this civil" or "No bashing"...but then I realized im one of the few women on this cite that doesn't approve of spanking, so it will be me that has to absorb the hits. 

by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Replies (51-57):
angelbaby1977
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Right, right. *rolls eyes*

Quoting MrCruzito:

Those are your words hun not mine...you've come to your own conclusions. 

Quoting angelbaby1977:

Yes I spank my children. Oh no, I'm an awful parent that is pathetic and must have been abused to think its allright.!! What will I ever do?!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jacqalyn
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I was spanked growing up, honestly I don't remember how many times. I rarely did any thing to warrant a spanking though.  Unlike my siblings who were the total opposite of me. I learned what not to do by watching them. I'm not afraid of my parents either nor was I then. I was more afraid of losing their trust and respect in me then I was in the very few spanking I did receive. Very seldom have I spanked my kids. In our house spanking is used as a last resort.

The olny punishment that I remember every receiving from my parents that I felt was not right was getting grounded for something my brother and sister did.

My sister was caught kissing a guy my parents had told her to stay away from and my brother was caught smoking. I unfortunately knew about my brother smoking but didn't tell my parents. He told me if I told he would break my things. I was only 9 or 10  at the time and my things were everything to me. Needless to say we were grounded. No spankings, no time outs just straight to being grounded for a month no less. By the way my brother was only 11or 12 and my sister was 13 or 14 at the time.

sfkdny
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 7:43 PM

this is what I don't get...why all the judgment and hostility?  you have your views, others have theirs

ftr - spanking is not my first course of action

Quoting JaimieLynn8:

Personally, I think if you resort to spanking as your main source of punishment, you've failed as a parent.
You're telling me you can't discipline your child in ANY other way?
I have never heard a reasonable reason to spank. You may or may not leave marks, but you are performing a violent act on your child. I couldn't do that. You are inciting fear into them!
Like I said, if you can't think of any other way to discipline your child....that is pathetic.

RissyLee
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:49 PM

My son is 20 months.  I'll smack his hand if he's reaching to something that will hurt him.  At 20 months, he doesn't understand consequences like being electrocuted by messing with an outlet or cord.  He doesn't understand trying to play in my parents' dog's water bowl can be dangerous.  He does, however, understand that it stings and startles him when his hand is smacked.  When he's old enough to understand consequences, I won't do that anymore.  I'm not planning on actually spanking my son as a form of discipline, but my parenting style very well may change in the next 16 years based on my son.

MyLittlePwny
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:01 PM
I've only spanked my daughter once and it was because she outright defied me. It was over something she had been told time and time again not to do and she did it. It wasn't a small offense either.

I felt terrible about doing it, but it finally put that dangerous behavior to bed and she hasn't done it since. Does she fear me? Absolutely not. I don't believe in threatening to spank or spanking for every day discipline. When it comes down to a swat on the bottom, it's serious and she knows it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charliebean
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Lol, really? You're the one with the double exclamation points and question marks and I'M the one that need to calm down? Okay then.

Nice reply btw, completely ignoring what I said.

Quoting BekkieBoodle:

Dude .... Simmer down.

Quoting charliebean:

You realize this is a parenting site, don't you? There are only so many parenting-related subjects, and spanking just happens to be one of them. In the however-many years this site has been running and the COUNTLESS number of posts that have been made, do you really think it's uncalled for that someone might happen to post on the same subject more than once?

Smh.

Quoting BekkieBoodle:

The poor horse is dead already!! Why keep beating it??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BekkieBoodle
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:56 PM
Pretty much. Why don't you go pick on the other people that said.the same thing as me?? Or am I just that special??

And yes. I do know this is a parenting sight, duh! But, I am tired of reading the same shit over and over and OVER again. It's nothing against OP, just the topic.

Have a nice night :)

Quoting charliebean:

Lol, really? You're the one with the double exclamation points and question marks and I'M the one that need to calm down? Okay then.

Nice reply btw, completely ignoring what I said.

Quoting BekkieBoodle:

Dude .... Simmer down.

Quoting charliebean:

You realize this is a parenting site, don't you? There are only so many parenting-related subjects, and spanking just happens to be one of them. In the however-many years this site has been running and the COUNTLESS number of posts that have been made, do you really think it's uncalled for that someone might happen to post on the same subject more than once?

Smh.

Quoting BekkieBoodle:

The poor horse is dead already!! Why keep beating it??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)