Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Not a popular opinion... bash if you must

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I think if you are on foodstamps or wic then you should not be able to choose to be a sahm. You should be required to be looking for employment or be enrolled in school. It is not meant to be a  way of life it is supposed to be helping hand while you work to better your life. I would love to be a sahm, but i choose to have these children and so I must work to provide for them.

Edit to add: I failed to take into consideration being disabled, that should be an exception. Also, if you can not afford daycare than you should do online classes.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 2, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Replies (31-40):
Mrs_Szontagh
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:57 PM

if you qualify for wic & foodstamps you should qualify for child care help... i kinda agree here... i see where you are coming from

Chuckydoodle
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM
That's great news, all the luck. Sounds like her mommy is on top of the game and doing what needs to be done.

Quoting Anonymous:

She's doing really good she is now 18 months we are still nursing she still has never used a bottle , we offer her sippys but she still has issues with them , so we are just working a little at a time with her but she has come along way they said she would neverrrr use a bottle or a sippy but Ive continued trying jsut so she has the chance to try .  but now that summer is here I just offer her a little bit in a small cup. But as for drinks Im pretty muchh her main source still which is okay I get to enjoy her nursing :O) But we've still got a long way The doctors had orignally told us she would also have problem with eating which we have had a few such as she had trouble cordinating her chewing up untill she was a little over a year and would choke alot which was scary .They also said she would probly have speach problem but soo far we arent seeing any of that she loves to talk :O)

Quoting Chuckydoodle:

I don't think anyone would be that heartless to equate you with the problem people. How is she now? doing better I hope. 

Quoting Anonymous:

what about people like my self who can not physically work due to my daughter having a rhythmic issue and can not physically use a bottle and had to be nursed or else she would have died?   No its not some thing that can collect disability because its a temporary problem but we also had to have the help to make ends meet?

My daughter had therapy to fix the problem but it didnt fix the problem it made it worse so it wasnt some thing we could fix .

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 2, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I think they should be able to make exceptions for familes like yours on a case by case basis.

Quoting Anonymous:

what about people like my self who can not physically work due to my daughter having a rhythmic issue and can not physically use a bottle and had to be nursed or else she would have died?   No its not some thing that can collect disability because its a temporary problem but we also had to have the help to make ends meet?

My daughter had therapy to fix the problem but it didnt fix the problem it made it worse so it wasnt some thing we could fix .

dreamerinluv
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Lollipop ?????????

Audreesmommy757
by Diana on May. 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

i think some people need to mind their own business

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on May. 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

if you can't afford to be a SAHM without handouts from the government,you should be working then.

MrsJHoward
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM
Dang, I don't live in MI but that sounds like a good idea! I deff think that everybody should be contributing positively to society in some way even if it's only a few hours of community service a week. That way here is more funds to go around, right?

Quoting Chuckydoodle:

As good as that sounds, law makers who have tried to impliment just that have failed. Generally groups like the ACLU and such come in and fight tooth and nail against it. I know in Michigan about 10 years ago they wanted to make it mandatory that if you were recieving cash assistance that you had to agree to 8 hours a week of community service. It was struck down because it was considered unfair to make these parents be away from their children for even 8 hours. Meanwhile, the mothers working 40 hours a week could continue right on working, and not get much assistance at all. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on May. 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I agree 100%. Being a SAHM is a privelage, not a right, and most people who are eligible for WIC and FS are also eligible for childcare subsidies. If you aren't disabled, there is no excuse for not working when you are on PA. I really don't think someone should even be going to school on PA unless they are also working.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Like I said, if you have a medical condition than exceptions should be made. But if you are able to work than maybe you should look into online classes to further your education, that way you would be able to better provide for your family.

Quoting Rachy-n-Kenni:

My family and I receive food stamps and receieved WIC when both my 10 yr old sister and 5 yr old daughter were of age to be on it. Do you think we're particularly happy about our situation? No- we're not. We're fucking poor. My mother, with whom I live with, works two jobs to support three ill children and her granddaughter. Did we always live on FS? No-- but we're doing all we can to keep our family fed, clothed, and under a roof. Do you think I enjoy not being able to be financially stable on my own? I despise it-- but unfortunately, my medical condition doesn't allow me to. I don't like being judged for what I do to support my family. Sometimes; you should look at the persons' situation before passing judgement.

Chuckydoodle
by on May. 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Yes, when it was introduced it sounded like a great idea, These volunteers would be cleaning the city parks, painting graffiti, and any other number of jobs that the cities and states pay high wages for to government employees. But when you have a large population of poverty stricken areas like Detroit who have a whole lot of voters it is very difficult to get something like that passed. 

Quoting MrsJHoward:

Dang, I don't live in MI but that sounds like a good idea! I deff think that everybody should be contributing positively to society in some way even if it's only a few hours of community service a week. That way here is more funds to go around, right?

Quoting Chuckydoodle:

As good as that sounds, law makers who have tried to impliment just that have failed. Generally groups like the ACLU and such come in and fight tooth and nail against it. I know in Michigan about 10 years ago they wanted to make it mandatory that if you were recieving cash assistance that you had to agree to 8 hours a week of community service. It was struck down because it was considered unfair to make these parents be away from their children for even 8 hours. Meanwhile, the mothers working 40 hours a week could continue right on working, and not get much assistance at all. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN