Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter won't bathe herself

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies

She is 6 years old...7 in Aug. I still have to give her a bath every night. She will do her body herself sometimes (not the best job, but at least she'll do it) but she WILL NOT wash her own hair. I feel like she is very behind on this milestone and just wants to be babied because she is an only child. How old were your children when they started completely bathing themselves?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 2, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skyes_mama
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:10 PM
My DD will not do it either! She just turned 6. I hate bath time!

She has special hair and we only wash it once a week, but it is always a battle!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I think 6/7 is young to do their  own hair. Its hard to shampoo and rinse all the soap out. Until she can shower alone she probably needs help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM

My daughter is 5 and I still bath her. No way, could she wash her own hair. My son who is 12, well I think he started when he was about 7or so. He HATED washing his hair. So I still had to stand over him to make sure he did it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Ok, so far the replies have helped me feel a little better. I wasn't sure what was a "normal" age. I asked one of my friends and she said both her kids were showering alone by 5, so I was a little concerned. Thanks ladies!

Bethsunshine
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Both of my boys were showering by themselves when they were 5.

lovelife350
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

MissMysteriouss
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:15 PM
My DD just turned 7, I still wash her hair.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM
My dd is almost 6 and cannot wash her own hair. She won't be able to for a while.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3Dani75
by on May. 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I agree with you on this one...really started working on it with mine at 8, by 9 they were doing it all on their own & getting all the soap out too. I have 2 nephews this age (1 is oldest in his family, other has an older brother) the one with older brother wants to be like big bro so does his own, 1 whos the oldest cant quite get it himself but he can wash his little brother hair with no problem, lol My 7 year old step-son "washes" his own but I hate it cause it always looks greasy & dirtier than before he does it, he doesn't know ow to get the soap out & thats if he even uses it at all

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I think 6/7 is young to do their  own hair. Its hard to shampoo and rinse all the soap out. Until she can shower alone she probably needs help.

i.love.my.life
by Arika on May. 2, 2012 at 10:16 PM
My dd is 5 and she showers herself. I check her hair, but she does a great job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured