Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you bring him to the wedding? ****UPDATE****

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 89 Replies
UPDATE: I asked and she said that he is welcome at the ceremony. (Which is perfect since I did not want to bring him to the reception anyway.) She thanked me for asking and said that he's the only child who's not in the wedding party who's invited to any of it. I feel much better! Thanks for all of your opinions:)

The invitation for DH's brother's wedding is addressed to only DH and I. Is it rude if we bring our 15 month old to the ceremony only? Or should we ask? He would not be at the reception. But it is family and I don't see there being anything wrong with bringing him to the ceremony. Family that we rarely get to see will be there. Not that it matters but DH's kids were our flower girl and ring bearer and the bride's kids were at our wedding & reception. Thanks for reading.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 2, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ireallydontcare
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I would not bring a child, especially that young, to a ceremony like that unless it was specifically stated that I could. I think if they had planned on allowing children, the invitation would have been. Mr and Mrs. Smith and family. Something along those lines.

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:08 PM
2 moms liked this

If it is addressed to just you and your husband is considered rude to bring anybody else. If they wanted you to bring your child they would have put "and family" on the invite.

mommythree0508
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes,it's rude. If you think there is a possibility of them having a kid friendly wedding,perhaps bring up in conversation that you are looking forward to their wedding and need to go ahead and line up a sitter. Unless they then specifically say to bring him,leave him at home with a sitter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Even to the ceremony??? Its family. I would totally understand if it was a friend and I wouldn't give it a second thought but its his brothers wedding.

Quoting DanaG70:

If it is addressed to just you and your husband is considered rude to bring anybody else. If they wanted you to bring your child they would have put "and family" on the invite.

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Unless the invite specifically says children are welcome, then it is generally understood that a wedding is an adults only event. It would especially be rude to bring a toddler without asking. I suggest you ask. Certainly don't just show up with your LO in tow. 

diamondsetter
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Just ask. Easy way to solve that problem :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VintageWife
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

You should ask him. He might have figured it was implied that you'd bring the little one.

Mare1180
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM
I would ask.

Although my dh's cousin brought her 6 mth old to just the ceremony and we were just happy she was able to make it. I feel like as long as you can control your child then kids shouldn't be excluded.

Never hurts to ask :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2012 at 11:13 PM
I would have never told the bride that she couldn't bring her daughter to my wedding. She would've taken it like a slap in the face. Her kids will be there.

Quoting FoxFire363:

Unless the invite specifically says children are welcome, then it is generally understood that a wedding is an adults only event. It would especially be rude to bring a toddler without asking. I suggest you ask. Certainly don't just show up with your LO in tow. 

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Even to the ceremony, if the invite doesn't say "and family" he isn't invited, sorry.

Quoting Anonymous:

Even to the ceremony??? Its family. I would totally understand if it was a friend and I wouldn't give it a second thought but its his brothers wedding.

Quoting DanaG70:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured