Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do they have a right to keep my grandson from me?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

for starters i dont speak english very good so if i mess up im sorry

so over the weekend my son and his wife and their son came over to visit, while my son and my dil were out at target i cut my grandsons hair, my son was the one who noticed it first and told his wife and she now wont bring the baby over here anymore my son comes over by himself and his excuse is "you gave our son juice and cut his hair with out permission and i told you he cant have juice yet, multiple times"

do we have any rights to see the baby or can they just cut us off just like that? we live in california

Posted by Anonymous on May. 2, 2012 at 11:11 PM
Replies (31-40):
iluv2meow
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Oh sure I think you should tell your kids what to do, how to buy a car, get up into their business as long as they can chop off your hair, get into your things and tell you what to do :)

littlest.angel
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM
It depends on if your state enforces grandparent rights. Even then all they have to do is say that seeing you isnt in the best interest of the child. I would just apologize and promise to follow their rules.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
_mimimosley_
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM
2 moms liked this
You all are some bitches,
Damn
I dont know if you have any rights, just talk to him and apologize. They will get over it soon. You sound like you really love your gc. I'd never cut my mil or mom out of my childs life for anything small as that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hargonagain
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Yes, they do have the right to keep your grandson away from you if you won't abide by their wishes.  I think the the best thing to do it call your son and daughter in  law and apologize profusely, promise to never do it again and always listen to what they want you to do.  I would be pissed if someone cut my son's hair without my direct permission, even my Mom.  When he was little he had alot of hair on top and he had pretty much a faux hawk, lots of people wanted to cut it, but nobody would think about doing it without asking me.  Also, as for the juice, alot of the older generation refuse to listen to the new "rules" such as not giving solid foods before a certain age etc because they feel that they raised their kids that way, so they can do the same with their grandchildren.  If you want to maintain a relationship with your grandson, listen to how his parents want him raised.  Hopefully time will make this better, but make sure you apoligize an promise not to do it again and then don't do it again!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM
File for grandparents rights
teenmomandpr587
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM

depends on the state really, i would just apologize and say i was overstepping my bounds, its not a big deal. 

Mommyof2n0308
by Marissa on May. 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM
I'd be very angry with you!!!! If someone would've given my son juice after I said no it could have hurt him bad due to conditions he has! Yiu disrespected them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Quoting La-Belle-Vie:

I would call and apologize to your dil! You don't get to make those decisions, it isn't our child. You respect their wishes with their child, I can't blame her to be honest, you lost her trust.

his hair was in his eyes though thats the only reason why i cut his bangs and it wasnt even his whole head either

La-Belle-Vie
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Some states allow the grandparents to have rights if a marriage has been dissolved and/or the parents are seperated.

Quoting Anonymous:

Only when the parents are deceased. I've cut my parents out 100% of my children's lives.

Quoting La-Belle-Vie:

In some states they do actually

Quoting Anonymous:

Grandparents don't have rights...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM
The only rights you have are the ones they give you. If you did something they asked you not to they can choose to not allow you to see their kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)