Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

WWYD? I am not happy with how my DS's teacher handle this situation *Update*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Today, everyone in my 7-year old DS's class was weighed for an experiment.  My son was the heaviest boy in the class.  Although he is bigger than the other children, he still falls within normal height and weight limits for a boy his age.  At snack time, some of his classmates laughed at him and called him chubby.  He complained to his teacher, whose only response was "I heard". 

My son felt really bad about himself this evening.  DH and I are going to have a talk with his teacher in the morning, because we feel that she did not handle this situaiton properly at all.  There is a problem with bullying at the school, and I think that the teacher should have reprimanded the classmates who teased my DS. 

If this happened to your child, what would you do?

*Update:  I spoke to my son's teacher early this morning.  Although she realizes that some of the children were laughing, she neglected to ask my son WHY the children were laughing.  I explained that my son was upset because the other children in his class laughed at him because of his weight.  I also explained that while I understand that weighing each child was a part of their class exercise, I did not think that it was appropriate to announce each child's weight in front of the class.  If the information needed to be plotted on a graph, it was perfectly okay to omit the outliers for the purposes of a 2nd grade experiment.  She apologized for not investigating the situation thoroughly, and spoke to the class about making innappropriate comments to each other.  The students were told to remember if they have nothing nice to say, that they should say nothing at all.  At school assembly held this morning, the prinicpal also addressed the subject of bullying.  I am now pleased with the way that this was handled.

Thank you to all of you who answered.  I know that this confession was not nearly as "juicy as some of the other posts on Mom confessions, so I appreciate your comments. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 2, 2012 at 11:25 PM
Replies (11-20):
karla85
by Platinum Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM
You are doing the right thing, I don't even understand why they would weigh the kids in front of the rest of the class. Smh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mkmommy0406
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Hope you have better luck than I did!  DD was constantly being sent home for a "fever".  I spoke to my boss, who is a pediatrician, he told me it was her allergies causing hayfever, nothing contagious and gave me a note for school that she isn't to be sent home unless her temp is 101.0 or higher.  I spoke to her teacher at PT conference that night and thought we had an understanding.  Instead, she proceeded to go home and talk about me and DD on her facebook.  And another of DD's teachers proceeded to post a smart comment on it! Of course I went straight to the principal and DUH, nothing was done about it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 2, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Leave it go it's part of growing up. This seems like it was related to the xperment give it about a week if it don't change then talk to then tracher
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM

We've had an issue with this teacher before, and had to involve the principal.  I am not the only parent who is dissatisfied with how she handles certain issues.  Fortunately, DS goes to a small private school and the administrators are very willing to work with parents, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Quoting Monamou:

I think speaking w the teacher is a great idea. But remember how hard her job is. No accusations or threats. Im sure shes a calm resonable lady who is willing to work w u.

NonaScheib38
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this
First off, I had an eating disorder as a kid, and even tho I'm over it now when I see kids getting weighed in front of everyone for an experiment, it sends chills down my spine! I can promise u ur son is not the only kid getting picked on, the girls r probably just doin it quieter and more nastily. And honestly, it doesn't matter if ur kid was obese or not, because bullying is unacceptable. A teacher not stopping it is infuriating. I wish I could tell u what I would do in your shoes, but everything I have would definitely get u in trouble and would be wildly inappropriate...like keying the teachers car. If the school is so famous for bullying id get my kid out of there. Good luck to u.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bi-polarmommy
by on May. 2, 2012 at 11:43 PM

i would be PISSED if that were my child.  i would be in the pricipals office the next morning about it, and if that didn't get the results i wanted, i would be calling the super-intendant

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Being laughed at like this is not a part of growing up.  Haven't you seen how bullying affects some children, even causing some of them to commit suicide? 

My son was devastated by today's events.  He attends a private school, and frankly, I pay far too much money to allow my son to go through being uncomfortable in school.  This is going to be addressed ASAP. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Leave it go it's part of growing up. This seems like it was related to the xperment give it about a week if it don't change then talk to then tracher

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 3, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Thank you for your reply.  I am really disheartened about the fact that some teachers do not feel that it's their "place" to intervene in situations like this.  If we do not get satisfaction from his teacher, we'll meet with the principal tomorrow as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

You are doing the right thing. The teacher needs to talk to the class about how people grow differently at different stages and we all have different bodies. Good luck I am a teacher and I would have handled it differently but I don't know if she needed time to figure how to do this and was taken off guard and didn't know what to do. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 3, 2012 at 12:03 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 3, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I wish you luck with it all. Many times principals will take up for the teachers in those situations so be prepared for it if you have to go that route. Honestly I think she just didn't know how to handle it so maybe you could help her brainstorm idea. It is the teachers job to create a safe and conducive environment for learning, that is part of our job. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you for your reply.  I am really disheartened about the fact that some teachers do not feel that it's their "place" to intervene in situations like this.  If we do not get satisfaction from his teacher, we'll meet with the principal tomorrow as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

You are doing the right thing. The teacher needs to talk to the class about how people grow differently at different stages and we all have different bodies. Good luck I am a teacher and I would have handled it differently but I don't know if she needed time to figure how to do this and was taken off guard and didn't know what to do. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)