Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You know what should be added to PA?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 134 Replies
8 moms liked this

I think any PA program would benefit from a mandatory course on finance control. It would be great if they could set us up with a financial advisor and help us plan how to get off assistance and be financially stable, not just over the income limit.

My family is just under the income limit to receive assistance, one small raise and we could be pushed out of the program and lose our health insurance and we would be screwed financially.

I think a lot of people (like myself) are afraid to make that little bit more and get pushed off because we can't afford it now so that raise of .25 an hour isn't going to cover our health care and when it comes, it's not like we can refuse it.

We want financial independence, but it's so hard and so scary. I truly believe with the proper education more people would be able to get off assistance rather then staying under the income bracket because going over seems like it'd mean certain doom.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JLo1486
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:39 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree. But would people really put it to use? I bet some would, others would not. So it may be a waste of money for the government.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
couponluv72
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I think any PA program would benefit from a mandatory course on finance control. It would be great if they could set us up with a financial advisor and help us plan how to get off assistance and be financially stable, not just over the income limit.

My family is just under the income limit to receive assistance, one small raise and we could be pushed out of the program and lose our health insurance and we would be screwed financially.

I think a lot of people (like myself) are afraid to make that little bit more and get pushed off because we can't afford it now so that raise of .25 an hour isn't going to cover our health care and when it comes, it's not like we can refuse it.

We want financial independence, but it's so hard and so scary. I truly believe with the proper education more people would be able to get off assistance rather then staying under the income bracket because going over seems like it'd mean certain doom.

passing a budgeting and finances class should be added to being able to pass high school. and i agree anyone on PA should be able to attend classes on the same topic. 

we are in your situation. just around $200 within range of the asset limit. $100 more in income and we have to pay $100 each for our insurance every month. $200 more and we lose it all. and i have no quality of life without medicaid covering my scripts that medicare does not. 

Please do not friend request me. I am not accepting any friend invites. sorry. 

im sorry

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 3, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I don't think it'd be a waste at all. It would teach pride in independence.

I think there should also be a time limit of assistance unless there are certain circumstances like a disability, young children, disabled/sick child, ect. Like a time limit of how long you can be on in a row, not totalled.

Quoting JLo1486:

I agree. But would people really put it to use? I bet some would, others would not. So it may be a waste of money for the government.

OopsIAteDaffy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:43 AM
This exactly.

Quoting JLo1486:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM

The problem with finance courses in high school is that not everyone pays attention, esp. since they have family paying the bills and not doing it themselves. We had our first child as teenagers so we have been on PA for 6 years now (just health insurance and oil assistance) and we want to get off, but we aren't sure how exactly to do that financially and if a second job would benefit us financially or put us deeper into the hole.

Quoting couponluv72:

Quoting Anonymous:

passing a budgeting and finances class should be added to being able to pass high school. and i agree anyone on PA should be able to attend classes on the same topic. 

we are in your situation. just around $200 within range of the asset limit. $100 more in income and we have to pay $100 each for our insurance every month. $200 more and we lose it all. and i have no quality of life without medicaid covering my scripts that medicare does not. 

nonnahsregah40
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM
7 moms liked this

The government can not control their spending- why would we want them teaching others

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 3, 2012 at 8:46 AM

LOL Good one!

Quoting nonnahsregah40:

The government can not control their spending- why would we want them teaching others

couponluv72
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:47 AM

and a frazzled mom and dad as adults are also not likely to pay full attention either. at least high school students are less likely to have pressing concerns like children on their minds . they can actually better soak in the lessons. 

Quoting Anonymous:

The problem with finance courses in high school is that not everyone pays attention, esp. since they have family paying the bills and not doing it themselves. We had our first child as teenagers so we have been on PA for 6 years now (just health insurance and oil assistance) and we want to get off, but we aren't sure how exactly to do that financially and if a second job would benefit us financially or put us deeper into the hole.

Quoting couponluv72:

Quoting Anonymous:

Please do not friend request me. I am not accepting any friend invites. sorry. 

im sorry

incognito116
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:49 AM
5 moms liked this
6 years? One or both of you could have gotten a degree or something in that time to get a higher paying job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mackiebugsmom
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:53 AM
It would be nice if that was offered but idk about mandatory.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured