Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You know what should be added to PA?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I think any PA program would benefit from a mandatory course on finance control. It would be great if they could set us up with a financial advisor and help us plan how to get off assistance and be financially stable, not just over the income limit.

My family is just under the income limit to receive assistance, one small raise and we could be pushed out of the program and lose our health insurance and we would be screwed financially.

I think a lot of people (like myself) are afraid to make that little bit more and get pushed off because we can't afford it now so that raise of .25 an hour isn't going to cover our health care and when it comes, it's not like we can refuse it.

We want financial independence, but it's so hard and so scary. I truly believe with the proper education more people would be able to get off assistance rather then staying under the income bracket because going over seems like it'd mean certain doom.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 8:37 AM
Replies (121-130):
xxbyamomentx
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Well, in my opinion, that's one of the only ways to break the cycle of drug abuse and parents who spend their assistance money on drugs instead of their children. Is it terrible that the kids get taken away? Yes, but it's also terrible how they're living now. Maybe the parents should have thought of that before they started doing drugs, ya know? I realize CPS can't get involved in every drug case, but it should AT LEAST be a random screening type of thing. We all get drug tested at work to make money, so they should be as well since we're basically paying for them to live. As I said, just my opinion.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't want to turn this into a drug test debate but I was wondering how the children of the drug abusers are supposed to be fed and taken care of if their parents need the assistance and now spend the money on drugs instead of them?

Unfortunately CPS will not be able to get involved in all of these cases but why should the children suffer even more from their parents drug addiction?

Quoting xxbyamomentx:

Sounds good to me. I've never been on any form of PA, but I'd like to take another budgeting class just for the sake of any extra tips they might have. I also think it should require a drug test to be on PA. I know financially it may not be worth it, but that's another good indicator of who deserves to be on PA and who is just abusing the system to stay home and party and bring a bad name to PA.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this
A cut off date should be implemented. You have x amount of days to better yourself.
I'll betcha these lifers would stop making excuses and find a job real quick.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I understand the logic behind it but since CPS cannot and will not get involved in every drug case taking away food from little children is not okay. So the parents don't get assistance and these children go hungry.

And if you saw what happened in Florida the amount of people who tested positive was so minute that the people taken off doesn't even begin to touch the cost of the drug testing in the first place.

Quoting xxbyamomentx:

Well, in my opinion, that's one of the only ways to break the cycle of drug abuse and parents who spend their assistance money on drugs instead of their children. Is it terrible that the kids get taken away? Yes, but it's also terrible how they're living now. Maybe the parents should have thought of that before they started doing drugs, ya know? I realize CPS can't get involved in every drug case, but it should AT LEAST be a random screening type of thing. We all get drug tested at work to make money, so they should be as well since we're basically paying for them to live. As I said, just my opinion.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't want to turn this into a drug test debate but I was wondering how the children of the drug abusers are supposed to be fed and taken care of if their parents need the assistance and now spend the money on drugs instead of them?

Unfortunately CPS will not be able to get involved in all of these cases but why should the children suffer even more from their parents drug addiction?

Quoting xxbyamomentx:

Sounds good to me. I've never been on any form of PA, but I'd like to take another budgeting class just for the sake of any extra tips they might have. I also think it should require a drug test to be on PA. I know financially it may not be worth it, but that's another good indicator of who deserves to be on PA and who is just abusing the system to stay home and party and bring a bad name to PA.

xxbyamomentx
by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Yeah, I know. :/ it's a rough situation all around.

Quoting Anonymous:

I understand the logic behind it but since CPS cannot and will not get involved in every drug case taking away food from little children is not okay. So the parents don't get assistance and these children go hungry.

And if you saw what happened in Florida the amount of people who tested positive was so minute that the people taken off doesn't even begin to touch the cost of the drug testing in the first place.

Quoting xxbyamomentx:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting xxbyamomentx:

whitedaisies
by on May. 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM

i agree - i also think high schools should have mandatory classes in day-to-day finances

GotSomeKids
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:08 PM

I think it depends on the situation.  I mean, the hubby and I already know all this stuff, been to school for it, have degrees.  But, Lord forbid, if he lost his job, and we ended up on PA.  Having the class wouldn't help us.  Having a job would.

JerseyAirGurl
by *Ada* on May. 3, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Dont most? I know where I went to school and where I taught as well there were classes on budgeting. We were taught how to write a resume, typing/computer skills, job searching, and def budgeting.

Quoting whitedaisies:

i agree - i also think high schools should have mandatory classes in day-to-day finances

prettygirl326
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM

hell yeah that is so true...but they do have programs that will help you find work and i am sure they have that too. people do make more money but it is under the table and they don't report it so there is always a way around the system. can't catch them all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Pride to be independent should just pretty much be a given.  I don't see how a class could teach you that. 

There does need to be a change and the kind of change needed a lot of people don't want to see - the authorities actually verifying income, where applicants live, who lives with them and time limits on PA, no more being on it for years even if it's "just" for health insurance and utility assistance.  Sorry, but in a time span of years, you could have applied for financial aid and gone to even a community college to get a better paying job.  I took online classes from the local college and now work from home.  It was hard as hell and more than once I wanted to quit but all I had to do was look at my kids and know quitting was not an option.  I don't make tons of money but just with what I make, we live better than we did before when we lived off DH's check and didn't have any assistance.  We did and do take pride in our independence and even when things were so hard for us, we didn't even consider applying for PA. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 4:03 PM

It would not be a waste of money for the government, because the money would go towards what the programme is already suppose to do Assist people. This would simply be living up to the governments end of the deal. No not everyone will use it but the people who would deserve a chance to.

Quoting JLo1486:

I agree. But would people really put it to use? I bet some would, others would not. So it may be a waste of money for the government.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)