Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm Failing Miserably...

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:31 AM
  • 24 Replies

So I am a terrible housewife. There, I said it. I hate doing laundry and dishes and just about any other "chore". The thing is, I REALLY, REALLY want to be "that" good wife and mother... you know, the wives who are simply perfect in every way. Their husbands really cherish them, and their kids respect them. They find time to work out, keep polished, clean the whole house, play with and educate the children, healthfully prepare each and every meal from scratch, have "Mommy time", and still manage to get enough "beauty sleep". How do they do it? Not to mention, they genuinely seem very happy. I want that soooooo badly. I just can't seem to stick to any schedule I make for my self. I am utterly disgusted with my self, and I know my husband is un happy. He deserves so much better. He busts his ass at the firm all day, sometimes six days a week, and sometimes when he gets home he has to pick up, and I walk around frustrated at him for being frustrated that he has to clean... um OF COURSE HE'S UPSET! ughhh... I know I just need to kick my self in the ass and get the shit done, period. I just want to know how the hell you get it done happily? Gracefully? Besides the obvious, "oh, I'm doing it for my family, and that makes me happy to do it'... blah blah blah... I mean really... How the heck do you all do it? I need your secrets asap. Please, my family is falling apart. 

* UPDATE ON PAGE 3, thanks ladies! :)

by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamacough
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM
2 moms liked this

Make a realistic goal list. Do one task at a time, like keep the laundry up all week. Once you get that down , keep up the mess all week, like pick up toys and make beds . Once you get the hang of that move on to cooking,make the menu for one week. It all takes practice . Get a positive out look,(not easy) challenge yourself.

elle7777
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM
2 moms liked this

Have you ever worked? Look at it like a job if you have to. Every morning from say 9am to 11am to housework. Start a load of clothes when you start, and do another when those are done (and put them away). Focus on one room or main chore a day and them pick up the rest of the house daily during this time.

Make sure to clean up as you go. Do dishes after every meal and put cups ect in the dishawasher as you use them.

If you keep your house picked up in the first place it never really gets that dirty and overwhelming kwim?

TugBoatMama
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I just had to discipline myself and find ways to make my job as a sahm fun. I love music and dance so I always do my housework with my favorite tunes. It really speeds up the process and makes it tolerable. When I was pregnant with my first kid I couldn't even boil water much less cook anything decent. My hubs was not happy that I was a crappy cook. So I took to the Food Network and that is where I learned all the tricks of the trade from a then little known Rachael Ray. She was my best kept secret until she got really sucessful. I have all my own recipies now and my hubs loves everything I make. Trust me I was not too good at being sahm at first and I wanted to scream. You just have to do some trial and error and see what works. I don't know if you read Good Housekeeping at all but that is the housewife's bible in my opinion. I love getting ideas from them and they can be a big help to moms that aren't "natural housewives". Good luck and chin up :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mk13
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I feel the same way. I'll be checking back for more tips.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweets27
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Well you clean your house daily. If you keep up you can have time to do other things through out the day. I don't bust my ass cleaning top to bottom everyday. I clean through out the week so I'm not so tired. My kids are also responsible for cleaning up their mess. They pick up toys, clothes, and make their beds. Don't let the mess sit there. As soon as youre done eating clean up the kitchen. You can do laundry while you clean your room. Just find something that works for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazyLife1996
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
First off that perfect housewife and mother doesn't exist. We all have faults.

Break up the things you need to get done. Like laundry if you don't like doing it then do a load every morning when you get up. It isn't a weeks worth in one day its a little at a time. Dishes a quick wash after each meal. Sweep the kitchen floor while the LOs eat.

Once you figure out the fastest way to get things done the easier it becomes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MynameisMummy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Thank you so much ladies! I was so scared I was going to be burned at the stake, but I had to ask for help. My family deserves the best, and I'm not an idiot, so, it's time to buckle down. I really like thinking of it as a job! Then maybe there will be an "off" time... baaahaaaahaaaahaaaaa!!! One can hope, right!?

justahousewife
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Make a priority list. Then pick the top thing and work on it till you're good at it. You can dabble in the rest but get the first thing on the list down. When you have that down start perfecting the second thing on the list. So on and so forth. Remind yourself your man works hard so you should too. 

Example list:

• Breakfast before he goes to work (sends him off with a happy feeling)
  • Laundry, washed/dry/hung/folded
  • Living area picked up (even if you don't get the bedrooms and such clean the living area should be)
  • Dinner when he gets home (let him sit down and enjoy family time, don't make the first task picking up)
  • Dishes/Kitchen tidied (makes it easier to cook breakfast and dinner)
  • etc

Start out treating the house like a part-time job; 2-3hrs a day 3-4 days a week. As you get more into a habit it'll become a subconscious effort.

SnapIt
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

What makes you think that kind of person you describe, that you see and want to be are happy themselves?

How do you know if their husbands are really happy with them?

You know what I learned? That women that you described seem that way because they want people to believe they have the perfect life, perfect marriage, they are perfect. When in reality it's a chaotic home and marriage and they look that good because they spend time MOSTLY on themselves, being selfish and controlling. I have a few friends that way.

Just do your best and do it lil by lil, but don't go for perfection. Go for better than you are now and you will feel better about everything you want. There is no such thing as perfection.

Sweets27
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
You will feel so good when see your house clean. Your husband will be happy and you will feel great. Turn on some candles so your house smells good too.

Quoting MynameisMummy:

Thank you so much ladies! I was so scared I was going to be burned at the stake, but I had to ask for help. My family deserves the best, and I'm not an idiot, so, it's time to buckle down. I really like thinking of it as a job! Then maybe there will be an "off" time... baaahaaaahaaaahaaaaa!!! One can hope, right!?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN