Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Does anyone else have a DH who works in the oil fields?...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this
...and if so, when your DH comes home every other month, does he help out around the house? Do you expect him to?

The last two times my DH has been home, I find myself at my wits end at how much he sits around in frot of the tv!! It's frustrating! I am home alone with the kids for 28-35 days at a time and look forward to a small break when he come home, only to find myself working twice as hard to clean up after an extra person! He makes our youngest lunch and might even load the dishwasher once or twice in the two weeks he's home, then when I say something to him he gets all defensive and says stuff like "I helped do the dishes and fed DD..it's not like I didn't do anything the whole time!" and yet, as little as he does, that's exactly how I feel!

I am a SAHM for the first time in my life since he got this job, 35 years old and am not used to the constant "work/cleaning" around the house that seems to be my life now! And sometimes, I myself would just like a day or two to have someone else cook and clean while I have a day to rest and "be lazy" so to speak! What are your thoughts?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thinkpink2012
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM
I feel the same! I just do my deep cleans on Sunday that way through the week is all the light cleaning and dusting daily ( I live in west Texas and Everytime the wind blows my house gets dusty lol)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Texas-Mommy-
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Mine does but he works local. He comes home every day. He does a lot to help me around the house . But sometimes I have to gripe at him to help. I understand what you are saying.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Lmao...I'm in ND and it's the same either the wind/dust!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine is. But he doesnt do the few weeks on few weeks off anymore. He does 4 months on and 2 months off.... but when he is home, he definitely helps out.... i know how you are feeling tho, i get a mommys helper to come a few times a week, so i can take a break....
turbosmommy
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine works local as well,and he helps out when asked. sorry I'm no help,but here's a bump!(:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twrwifey
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:19 AM

My dh is gone for 3 months and home for 7 days. The only thing he does when he's home is a little yard work (if I beg him too so that we don't get busted by hoa) And he'll maintenance my suv if it needs done. Other than that he sits and rests. When he's out working he's pulling 90 hour weeks so I know he's exhausted. He helps with kids at bath and bedtime but as far as anything around the house he doesn't help. It doesn't bother me though. I usually try to cook when he's home since he has to eat crap fast food while he's away but if I want the day off from cooking and we eat out at sit down restaurants he doesn't complain. Also for the week he's home I don't really fuss wit the house too much. I make sure it's clean before he's due home and then once he's home i just try to keep up with the daily stuff (dishes, laundry) You just have to relax a little and enjoy your time together. The housework will be there when he leaves.

MrsJHoward
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:20 AM
Oh man do I understand! I am resently a SAHM too and it is way harder then when I went to work every day! My husband works local so he comes home every day but no he is not helpful! He might BBQ once in a while but mostly sits on his butt! We usually eat out on he weekends because I to need a break! We also have a 9 year old DD so he chores do help me quite a but. Good luck OP! Btw I went threw a depression not a bad one but it was an adjustment!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thinkpink2012
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM
Oh and mine is a local geological consultant for the rigs here in West TX and eastern NM. He is home nightly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SharonHernandez
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM

he doesnt work in one yet but he hopes to soon.

MamatoKy
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM

a friend of mine does...down in texas, but he's home every evening...or every other evening

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)