Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Med students during labor...

Posted by   + Show Post
When I was in labor with my youngest, I was still dialating when a male "med student" came into the room and asked if he could "feel the cervix". The female nurse had just stepped out after checking to see how much I was dialated when he came in and asked. I was quite uncomfortable and said I would rather not...he began to argue with me, saying how he was going to school to be an OB-GYN/PED and needed to learn first hand how things "look and feel". I said I'm sorry, but I'm just really not comfortable with that...he actually became upset with me and started criticizing me for "denying him a learning experience that he would not get out of a text book"! I became so nervous and upset my DH finally stood up and told the man to leave the room and NOT come back in as his wife did not need to be upset by his rudeness during labor, and to go find "another guinea pig in labor" to learn on! The man left obviously angry, slamming the door behind him!! I burst into tears! It was awful! I complained to the nursing staff about it and they just justified that he was only trying to learn and that no one else would allow him to "check them either" so he was a bit frustrated! I said that's not my responsibility and I shouldn't be made to feel obligated in anyway to do something that makes me uncomfortable during child labor, a time when I should be as comfortable as possible! What's your worst labor experience?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Replies (21-30):
cmeeso
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM
True story. *shrugs*

Quoting safi:

WTF?!?!

Quoting cmeeso:

When I was pregnant with my first, it was "take your child to work day"

I like my privacy and the nurse asked if her teen daughter and her friend could watch the delivery.

I said I was uncomfortable with it, she left with the two girls in a huff.

Mind you, this is the same nurse that said my aunt who travelled 2 hours to witness the birth of my son could not come in due to limited space. Yet, if I agreed, her daughter and friend could come in and watch? Bleh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anjlmom32
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM
That's the weird part...she left BEFORE he came in!!

Quoting midnight_storm:

Wow that sounds awful. You'd think that the nursing staff would be more sympathetic to their patients. Not to mention if they really wanted to help the student out they should have accompanied him to the room and stayed if the woman said yes. The fact the nurse left, I would have said no too.

My anesthesiologist during my 2nd's birth was very strange. He made me super uncomfortable then it took him over 3 tries to do my epi.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tginn20
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I allowed a med students during my labor- the poor guy...haha. When my DD was born 10+ lbs, she got stuck and came out really bruised. He looked at her...looked at me, looked at DH and had this "Oh shit" look on his face bc she looked like she had dark skin and we are both very light skinned. He just kind of froze. My regular OB kind of scooted over, laughing and said "It's alright...she's just bruised" HAHAHA.

I am sorry you had a bad experience...but I do think under supervision, it is a great learning experience for them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM
When my son was crowning the doc pushed his head back in so he could cut me. I screamed at that doc not to. I even had a birth plan. He lost his license, but I wasn't the only one he did this too. I'd rather tear than be cut. My mom was there as well and she was a labor and delivery nurse before she retired and she said I probably wouldn't have torn either. But having my sons head shoved back in was awful and I'm glad he lost his license so he doesn't do anything else stupid to anyone else!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy_me
by ~The Three B's~ on May. 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM

It took 3 anesthesiologist and 45 minutes to put in my spinal for my first c-section. Horrible horrible horrible

Anjlmom32
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Under supervision,yes...many times at check ups with my reg Dr I would agree to have med students observe...but something about this guy was just a little off and the fact he came in alone was just really odd to me! It just didn't feel right.

Quoting tginn20:

I allowed a med students during my labor- the poor guy...haha. When my DD was born 10+ lbs, she got stuck and came out really bruised. He looked at her...looked at me, looked at DH and had this "Oh shit" look on his face bc she looked like she had dark skin and we are both very light skinned. He just kind of froze. My regular OB kind of scooted over, laughing and said "It's alright...she's just bruised" HAHAHA.

I am sorry you had a bad experience...but I do think under supervision, it is a great learning experience for them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovingwifey
3 moms liked this

I actually had a wonderful experiance with a student. 

I had to be life flighted at 28 weeks and 4 days.  Once I got to the hospital I was placed on the high risk floor and was assigned a RN along with my Doc.  The RN had a nursing student shadowing her while I was there.  They were both very sweet and always explained what they were doing.  The students stayed and talked to me for a bit.  (she had 2 year old twins) She was there until I had the twins.  She was supposed to leave, but she found out I had to have an emergency c section (the day I hit 29 weeks) she asked me if it was okay if she stayed.  I said yes.  She had never witnissed an emergency c section so she asked the RN she was shadowing if she could go and watch.  The RN and Doc said it was up to me, I had no issues with it.  Hubby was waiting for my friend to get there to watch our 15 month old son.  The Nurse who was training stayed by me until my husband came in the room, secs before they cut me open.  She held my hands while I got the spinal, told me it was okay when I was in tears because I felt like I could not breathe.  (the spinal) SHe was a major help.  Once the c section was over she had to leave as I went into recovery (they had to remove some cysts) She was supposed to go home, I was in recovery for 2 or 3 hours?  I do not remember much at all the first few days.  But when I was taken back to my room she was still there!  She was supposed to go home hours ago, but she wanted to make sure I did okay in recovery.  

Baby8901
I asked the nurse to check me because I felt ready to push and she refused, I ended up arguing with her and I ended up being right! I was ready to push!!
Eta: as far as students go, I didn't allow male students. I have a female ob and I'm not comfortable with males. I did have to stay 5 days because ds was jaundice and all the student pedis were awesome.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JustCJ
by ~yeerp~ on May. 3, 2012 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I had so many nurses and Drs in there with my first...what was one more lol. I understand though mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby8901
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Omg! No no no! I feel sorry for you! I didn't tear and I've heard it's awful.

Quoting Anonymous:

When my son was crowning the doc pushed his head back in so he could cut me. I screamed at that doc not to. I even had a birth plan. He lost his license, but I wasn't the only one he did this too. I'd rather tear than be cut. My mom was there as well and she was a labor and delivery nurse before she retired and she said I probably wouldn't have torn either. But having my sons head shoved back in was awful and I'm glad he lost his license so he doesn't do anything else stupid to anyone else!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured