Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have to make 20 bucks or less last for 10 days.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 220 Replies

for groceries. I have meat and gobs of it if I can split up the ten pounds of frozen hamburger I have in the freezer but little of anything else... I have some rice sides and some canned veggies... NOTHING else. How in the worl do i make this work? This has never happened to us before.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM
3 moms liked this

Spaghetti sauce and noodles,bread,hamb buns,cheese slices and tomato soup My kids love tom sop and grilled cheese.This is stuff I usally grab when we're running low on $$.Im trying to think too! Hubby doesnt get paid till next Friday! Trying to make my list.Maybe some onion soup mix,U can make a meatloaf with that and the ground meat.Do you have an Aldi store there? They have good deals.

Lostinindy
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:45 PM
7 moms liked this
Cook the hamburger then you can split into small portions and refreeze. As for cheap meals look at hillbilly housewife.com. She has very cheap meal ideas to stretch that $20. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BEXi
by BEXi on May. 3, 2012 at 12:45 PM
5 moms liked this

Ramen is probably the cheapest of the cheap.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 3, 2012 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this

All we have around here is HEB, the comissary, and Walmart. No lowcost anything. HEB is probably the cheapest. ETA Grilled cheese is a hit at my house, I can thaw the whole roll and make some patties and some crumbled meat with it and just freeze it. I have chicken too. so that'll cover meat for the next several days. I can stock up on ramen for lunches, pasta for dinner... I have a ton a spaghetti but only like two things of sauce.

Quoting Anonymous:

Spaghetti sauce and noodles,bread,hamb buns,cheese slices and tomato soup My kids love tom sop and grilled cheese.This is stuff I usally grab when we're running low on $$.Im trying to think too! Hubby doesnt get paid till next Friday! Trying to make my list.Maybe some onion soup mix,U can make a meatloaf with that and the ground meat.Do you have an Aldi store there? They have good deals.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 12:49 PM
7 moms liked this
Why in the world would you freeze the WHOLE 10 POUNDS of hsmburger meat TOGETHER? Split that shit up!!!!!!!!
Cook it all at once and refreeze, sloppy joes, spaghetti, loose meat sandwiches (spice as you would cheeseburgers), sheppards pie).........
Good luck!!!!
PookaboosMom
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:51 PM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

Why in the world would you freeze the WHOLE 10 POUNDS of hsmburger meat TOGETHER? Split that shit up!!!!!!!!

Cook it all at once and refreeze, sloppy joes, spaghetti, loose meat sandwiches (spice as you would cheeseburgers), sheppards pie).........

Good luck!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM

LOL I didn't have time toi split it all up when I bought it and never thought about it again... until I needed to use it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Good luck!!!!

chunkyhoney78
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM

get some beans and have meatless days with some frozen veggies for sides get rice, noodles and tomato sauce eggs also make breakfast for dinner or have sandwiches make homemade bread good luck!

swizzlefiz
by on May. 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Potatoes are usually cheap and filling.

kit_manson
by Platinum Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:57 PM
9 moms liked this

go spend that 20 on veggies and buy a big bag of lentils. Yes, lentils.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)