Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I have to make 20 bucks or less last for 10 days.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

for groceries. I have meat and gobs of it if I can split up the ten pounds of frozen hamburger I have in the freezer but little of anything else... I have some rice sides and some canned veggies... NOTHING else. How in the worl do i make this work? This has never happened to us before.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Replies (141-150):
blueeyedpixie
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Glad to help:) you're welcome:))

Quoting kathislove80:

Those are awesome! Thanks!

Quoting blueeyedpixie:

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/

http://family.go.com/food/pkg-budget-recipes/cheap-dinner-recipes-pg/

here are a few i use, hope they help:) they've helped me out a lot...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karamille
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

beans and rice would feed your family for almost a month with about $20. 

uirisg
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:55 PM

what she said....soups work great with spreading out meals....chillis is good to....and they all freeze well ....you can get hotdogs and buns and you got meal 2 (chilli dogs)...get some beans, sauce, cheese ....if you have any discount grocery store (we have Grocery Outlet here) utilize it....and don't be affraid to look through the ads to make your $ strech...good luck.

Quoting NatesMyBoy:

If you have somewhere with bulk buns, not like safe way or Fred Meyer but a cheap store... Get some brown rice a few cans of tomatoes, a couple of bags of frozen veggies an onion or two. Soup is easy and cheap, do you have flour? You can make biscuits or tortillas with flour and baking powder. Oats for oatmeal are like 39ยข a pound here. Good luck mama

LuvUSoMuch
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM

How do you make this? 

Quoting GoneBad31:

I would buy some flour and make gravy with it. You can make hamburger steak smothered in gravy over rice and a veggie on the side.

I know most people hate it, but you can also get hamburger helper. Its cheap and you already have the hamburger meat.

Make spaghetti. Noodles are cheap too and so is off brand spaghetti and tomato sauce.

rachel_2010
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I just found this site today, haven't used it yet, but myfridgefood.com.  You add what you have in y our fridge/pantry and it shows you what recipes you can make, also says if youa re missing one ingredient for something. Try it maybe to see what you don't have to buy?

ruby_jewel_04
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Dired beans, peas, and lentils (especially if you buy in bulk) can be very cheap and very filling. Make stews out of them. I'm so sorry honey! I hope you can make it work. And if worse comes to worse, theres always the local food bank.

Angelica46
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Cook all of your meat then split it up and freeze it into portions. If you buy eggs, potatoes, oats, bread, beans and rice, this will get you thru the 10 days. You can make potatoes with meat for one meal, eggs and potatoes for another meal or rice & beans and adding a portion of meat for another meal. You can also make ramen noodles and add a portion of meat to your meal. Make oatmeal for breakfast and alternate days with egg sandwiches. This is what we ate growing up except we hardly ever had any meat to eat. Good Luck!  

randomosityblog
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Prices I just paid

Bread $1.28 a loaf

Cheese $2.18 a package

We dress up grilled cheese.. but since you have meat you can make hamburgers.. tacos.. etc. It won't be hard. :)

SuperWoman8
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:09 PM

mix the hamburger with the rice dishes is a good way, mixing it with pasta is another.

I have another suggestion that works well for us.

Textured vegtable protein (TVP). it's in the health food section and stores and is often sold in bulk. a little bit goes a LONG way. when I say a little bit, I never cook more than half a cup (dry) at a time and even then I bag some ot put in the freezer for later.

you take the dry protein and cook it along with other things, like hamburger. Then you have more protein, and the TVP takes on the taste of what it's cooking in. it takes a bit to get used to the texture, but it works well.

just don't cook it alone in water, then it tastes like carboard. :P

I often cook it in soup, spaghetti sauce, along with other meats.  I've fed it to some very picky relatives and friends of DH's when he surprised me by bringing them home. Long as it's cooked with something else that tastes good, it should work.

eggs can be good too for protien.

Good luck! hang in there! We've all been there!

micheledo
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:21 PM

DON'T BUY HAMBURGER HELPER!!!!!!

You can make your own MUCH cheaper!  Buy a box of pasta for the same price of the hamburger helper and you will get four times as much pasta out of it.  Add your hamburger, some flour (to make gravy) and some spices, onion, garlic, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN