Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this really fair to the kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 757 Replies
3 moms liked this

Seriously, is it fair to punish the kids for the parents mistake?

Recieved this from my kids school. My kids are in half day pre school so it doesnt affect them but still it seems unfair.

This is a note from our Director of Nutrition:

Just a reminder that students can no longer charge for a breakfast or lunch. A cheese sandwich will be served to those students who have charges or who do not have the funds to cover a meal.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM
12 moms liked this
Its not fair or proper nutrition required for the program to offer.
butterflies798
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM
4 moms liked this

Yep that is how our school does it too. The kid still gets something to eat but I think you can charge up to $10 before you get restricted.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM
217 moms liked this

Yes it is fair. If you are not paying for meals, your kid isn't going to be provided the meals. They are still being served FOOD. SOMEONE has to pay for the meals. Why should kids just keep getting it for free when they have parents who refuse to pay for it?

What is NOT fair is a mom and dad making their kid go to school with a NEGATIVE lunch balance.

butterflies798
by on May. 3, 2012 at 4:59 PM
5 moms liked this

It isn't fair but perhaps their kids complaining about what they had for lunch will get these parents to pay. There really isn't any other option.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 5:00 PM
84 moms liked this

they're making parents be responsible and keep on top of their kids lunch money.  those bastards!

couponluv72
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM
3 moms liked this

they are not punishing the kids. they are still providing food. just not the more costly food in case the parent does not pay up.

agrisham13mom
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM
16 moms liked this
My DS school gives the kids 5 ritz crackers and a small packet of peanut butter with a Dixie cup to get water from the fountain ugh... I told my DS if there is ever a time I forget to put money on his account and they won't let him have lunch he is to go to the office immediately and call me to bring him money or lunch..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazyLife1996
by on May. 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM
4 moms liked this
There is an option sometimes people forget to send money for a day. Doesn't mean that the parent wont take care of it the next day.

Quoting butterflies798:

It isn't fair but perhaps their kids complaining about what they had for lunch will get these parents to pay. There really isn't any other option.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinkerbellmama
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 5:03 PM
14 moms liked this

It's not fair to the child perse, but that falls on the parents' shoulders not the school's. The parents should be responsible and either send their kid with lunch or pay for it. If they can't afford either, then why haven't they applied for free/reduce rate breakfast and lunches?

robsgurl_23
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 5:05 PM
20 moms liked this

at my kids school if the kids owe money for lunch they willonly get a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich, milk and fruit until you pay for what is owed. I think it is fair.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)