Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this really fair to the kids?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Seriously, is it fair to punish the kids for the parents mistake?

Recieved this from my kids school. My kids are in half day pre school so it doesnt affect them but still it seems unfair.

This is a note from our Director of Nutrition:

Just a reminder that students can no longer charge for a breakfast or lunch. A cheese sandwich will be served to those students who have charges or who do not have the funds to cover a meal.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Replies (41-50):
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:45 PM

i don't see the big deal, they are eating aren't they. some kids don't even get that.

DropZoneMom
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:13 PM
1 mom liked this

THIS -- plus:  there is a federal free lunch program.   The income requirements are NOT stringent (most of my kids' friends get free lunches).    And it takes next to no time to sign up.   If you can't afford to pay, then use the program.  That's what it's there for.

And if you just 'forgot' to send a check -- stop being a lazy parent.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes it is fair. If you are not paying for meals, your kid isn't going to be provided the meals. They are still being served FOOD. SOMEONE has to pay for the meals. Why should kids just keep getting it for free when they have parents who refuse to pay for it?

What is NOT fair is a mom and dad making their kid go to school with a NEGATIVE lunch balance.

mandylin3
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 7:20 PM

In my area, all public schools have free breakfasts for all kids under the age of 18.  In the Summer, the district selects certain parks and schools to serve free lunches to all kids under the age of 18.  At least the kids are getting fed but the problem is obviously deeper and maybe the children who are always charging or don't have food at home to bring a lunch, should be helped.  Schools offer free lunches or reduced.   To save money, I generally pack my child's lunch every day except Friday because that is pizza day.  I think it's good the school is feeding them, but it's probably the same kids over and over who are charging.

emandab
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:41 PM

It's the end of the school year. The school probably doesn't want a bunch of charges hanging out there when school ends.  My ss only tells us he needs lunch money when he's hit the limit of charges, I think it's $7.50.  So I could see them not wanting all those charges left with little chance of getting paid once school is over.  If he doesn't tell us he needs money and hits his limit then it's cheese sandwich for him! He's 14 so it's his fault.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 3, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I understand what you are saying about it being his fault.  He is 14 and needs to learn responsibility.  This school is pk-3rd grade.  These are small children.  I think there should be a better way then this to make sure all the kids get the food they need.  You never know.  One of those kids may not qualify for free lunch but something within the family to make money tight for a couple of weeks.  Why should the kids suffer?  JMO

Quoting emandab:

It's the end of the school year. The school probably doesn't want a bunch of charges hanging out there when school ends.  My ss only tells us he needs lunch money when he's hit the limit of charges, I think it's $7.50.  So I could see them not wanting all those charges left with little chance of getting paid once school is over.  If he doesn't tell us he needs money and hits his limit then it's cheese sandwich for him! He's 14 so it's his fault.

anon1986East
by Kali on May. 3, 2012 at 8:51 PM

That's the same thing my kids school does, they've been doing that for several years now and yes it's fair. Perhaps when their kids start complainging about the cheese sandwich their parents will start paying for their meals like they're suppose to. If they can't afford it they should apply for free/reduced priced breakfast and lunch or send their kid to school with something packed from home.

momamanda
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Our school allows you to go 5.00 over then your kid gets PB and J. But seriously they give you plenty of warnng

There is no reason why you would not pay for your childs lunch. They have to do it otherwise there are people 

who won't pay!! They also notify the schools social worker.

angel11111
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Is this even allowed with the new heatlh kicks going around? Heck WIC makes me get everything on my check even if I don't need it or my kids won't eat it and a cheese sandwich is NOT healthy IMO

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 3, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Sure it's a fair policy but if you have a problem with it talk to the principal so you can see the bigger picture of the problem.  

BluEyedCrazy
by Christy Ann on May. 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I dunno, this is all over my head. I pack my daughter a lunch every day. I dont rely on others to feed her. I buy the food myself and pack it myself, so I know what she is eating when.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)