Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If a restaurant, locked you in because you didnt tip...what would you do?

Posted by   + Show Post
I watched a video earlier about this happening in houston a few days ago to a family that didn't tip.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 3, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Replies (91-100):
mamadee1971
by Deelirious1 on May. 4, 2012 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this

When I dine in, at a restaurant or order a pizza, I always tip more than the gratuity states, especially if I get good service and a pleasant attitude.  I know how it is to NOT to get tipped or get very little tip, I use to be a taxi cab driver...yes, in my "fair city" of Houston.  I would be a little pissed, but I wouldn't hold a "fare" hostage because they didn't tip, but if I'm dropping your arrogant, bourgeois a$$ off at a friggin' strip club joint and you don't tip me, nicely (after getting you there way ahead of schedule), then I know not to pick up your cheap arrogant a$$ up,again.

DaynaDayna81
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I would call police. I always tip though. I remember when I was 8 months pregnant I let a couple in 5 minutes before we closed to eat. They stayed for about 30 minutes and we had to wait for them to finish so we could leave. When they left there was no tip so I knocked on the window as they were walking in the parking lot and flicked them off. Then I called them cheap mother fuckers. whew...thos pregnancy hormones! lol So the girl runs back in and apologizes and hands me a very nice tip. I felt like a huge ASS. I am pretty sure they just forgot to tip.

numonestunar
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:49 AM
I always tip. I left a $20 tip today. The bill was $13.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 4, 2012 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this

If I can't afford a gratuity added bill, then I can't afford choosing to eat out. So I wouldn't.

sheramom4
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Whether the tip was included or not, until they left they had not committed any crime, so locking them in is a crime. After I called the cops, I may have broken a window to get out and screamed bloody murder. I tip 99.9% of the time, so no issue there although I avoid places with mandatory gratuities because I feel that my tip should reflect the service I recieved, not be included. If I am going somewhere with a mandatory gratuity, it is somewhere I know and love, which ensures my tip is justified.

xomrsweaver
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:57 AM

jeez. idk. 

Come over to the dark side...we have cookies :)

melakay1981
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I guess if it was added to the bill and they knew about it then yes they should have to pay it.  I always leave some kind of a tip no matter how bad the service is.  I never know if someone is just having an off day.  If I get great service then I leave a great tip.  One time we where at a buffet and I normally do not leave a huge tip at those places but this waiter heard my son ask if he could have an ice cream cone, I told him to wait a few minutes and I would go up and get him one.  A few minutes later our waiter came over with an ice cream cone for my son.  I have never had anyone do that at a buffet.  I thanked him and left him a very nice tip.

Crimsonia
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Nope... sorry to break it to you, but ummmmm, it isn't...

Definition of GRATUITY: something given voluntarily or beyond obligation usually for some service; especially: tip 

If you order a steak dinner for $22, a gratuity is NOT included in that price... It is up to ME to determine how much of a gratuity.. if any... my server has earned. I have been known to leave a $20 T.I.P. on a $10 ticket and I have been known to leave a written tip on a $50 ticket...

If I walk into a restaraunt that automatically adds the gratuity onto the ticket I will do one of 2 things... I will either cross it off.... or I will walk out without even bothering to order.

Quoting JLo1486:
I saw that video. She didn't want to follow policy. She was breaking rules and could be considered stealing since the gratuity is automatically added into their bill. It IS a part of it.
heavenlybliss19
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:38 AM

well for starters.... i'd drive them crazy with my singing.  that should just about fix the problem.

Zangrilli
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:27 PM

This isn't a matter of not tipping.  This is about a family that tried to skip out on paying a bill.  The tip was mandatory, and they were fully aware of that.  I'm glad the restaurant called the police.  Holding them there?  Not so much.  They could have taken down their info and charged them.  That said, the family was wrong.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN