Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Schooling for your children...ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 81 Replies

Do you think it's important? I mean proper schooling. Where the child actually learns, gets quizzed and tested regularly.

My df's family doesn't seem to take this very seriously and it has me wondering if this is normal? My df was "home schooled" which consisted of preschool through about 3rd grade of actual homeschooling and then after that he was left to do whatever he wanted along with his 5 siblings. When it was time to go to high school his mother sent them all to high school where 3 dropped out. Now his brother's children are on the same path. They have NEVER been to school. DF's nephew just began school this past year. He's 13 in the 5th grade. DF's niece went to school for a whole 4 days and decided it wasn't for her and dropped out. She's 11 and doesn't know basic math, reading or writing. It hurts me that they don't even push their kids to strive to be the best!! It just boggles my mind that there's people like this in the world and that these children are our future! I'm worried. Is this strange?? Isn't it illegal or something??

ETA: DF's niece and nephew have never been to school, never home schooled, they don't learn in ANY way at home. Df's nephew JUST started school this past year and he likes it. He is doing well but is majorly behind for a 13 year old. Df's niece did NOT like school and doesn't go nor learn at home. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Homeschoolmom99
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

That is not homeschooling that is child led schooling and leads to nothing I homeschool my son and he is in a public charter school with at home study!

look into http://www.k12.com/

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 4, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 4, 2012 at 12:39 AM

I don't think it is legal unless they are homeschooled. What they did is called unschooled which seems to be a trend but I don't think it is lega. School is very important to me. I want my kids to be able to go to college and get a degree. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 4, 2012 at 12:41 AM
3 moms liked this
That is why homeschooling is a joke. You just sign a waiver and boom stupid kids.... yes i know not everyone homeschools like that, but there should be some sort of testing each year to ensure your kid is at or above grade level or you have to send them to real school...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM
I don't think this is CPS worthy, but is there anyone else that you can contact to get the kids help with school? I have no idea, but I feel bad for them. This just really makes me sad :(
xomrsweaver
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I don't care what type of school your in, as long as your learning something. Thats the point of school. 

Come over to the dark side...we have cookies :)

UnIdentiFiedOne
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Pricey? I would love to use something like this to homeschool, but I'm far from rich. Lol.

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

That is not homeschooling that is child led schooling and leads to nothing I homeschool my son and he is in a public charter school with at home study!

look into http://www.k12.com/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annas_momma
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM
I agree with you 100%

Quoting Anonymous:

That is why homeschooling is a joke. You just sign a waiver and boom stupid kids.... yes i know not everyone homeschools like that, but there should be some sort of testing each year to ensure your kid is at or above grade level or you have to send them to real school...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Breezie_Starr
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I think it is VERY important. that is weird.

Ireallydontcare
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:44 AM
5 moms liked this

Home schooling is a joke? How nice of you to mock what many of us take very seriously. Bravo. Real school? REAL SCHOOL? Wow, just wow.

Quoting Anonymous:

Crunchy Ideas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)