Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

if i am wrong about mormons explain this

Posted by   + Show Post
The planet of Zion
The belief that Jesus is a prophet
the teachings of warren jeffs
the original teachings of Joseph Smith
Joseph being against Christians
Joseph stating he was more important than Jesus
Joseph now being a God and judging all who enter Zion
the text stating that The GODS said let there be light (yes in order to be Christian, you believe in one god! )
That men become God's ince entering Zion.
Please explain and all who can research and post it hete do so!

Thank you! JoLee G. Waddlekiss

by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Replies (171-180):
wymama610
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:02 PM
It's a good book, written by Jon krakauer (sp?) it's about FLDS though. NOT MORMONS.

Quoting GabrielRiley:

Never heard of it. What's it about?

Quoting bellawomen:

Mormons, what are your takes on the book "Under the Banner of Heaven"?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Because all the other pastors are correct. They have a big Degree in BULL SHIT. Right

Quoting Anonymous:

I have always been taught (and from my own research) that mormons are false gospels just like Jehovah's... My sd is mormon, she used to tell me so much about what they believe in, and then after talking to different pastors, I learned she's not far off from what she told me, and they aren't considered true gospels

louzannalady
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM

*nods head* I understand how you could feel that way. Just me, I think, it's something that a person (Martin Harris, I found out) with their last breath would not deny what they saw or experienced, given plenty of chances. *tips hat* Have a great night! : )

Quoting wulfeyes05:

It's awesome how a lot of them are related and could get each other to lie for them.

Quoting louzannalady:

It is not true that he did not allow anyone to see the Golden Plates. There was one man- I can't remember who- who left the Church and returned East. Even on his death bed, he did not deny seeing the Plates or his testimony of the Church.

http://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/introduction?lang=eng

The Testimony of Three Witnesses

Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, their brethren, and also of the people of Jared, who came from the tower of which hath been spoken. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true. And we also testify that we have seen the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shown unto us by the power of God, and not of man. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true. And it is marvelous in our eyes. Nevertheless, the voice of the Lord commanded us that we should bear record of it; wherefore, to be obedient unto the commandments of God, we bear testimony of these things. And we know that if we are faithful in Christ, we shall rid our garments of the blood of all men, and be found spotless before the judgment-seat of Christ, and shall dwell with him eternally in the heavens. And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.

Oliver Cowdery
David Whitmer
Martin Harris

The Testimony of Eight Witnesses

Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That Joseph Smith, Jun., the translator of this work, has shown unto us the plates of which hath been spoken, which have the appearance of gold; and as many of the leaves as the said Smith has translated we did handle with our hands; and we also saw the engravings thereon, all of which has the appearance of ancient work, and of curious workmanship. And this we bear record with words of soberness, that the said Smith has shown unto us, for we have seen and hefted, and know of a surety that the said Smith has got the plates of which we have spoken. And we give our names unto the world, to witness unto the world that which we have seen. And we lie not, God bearing witness of it.

Christian Whitmer
Jacob Whitmer
Peter Whitmer, Jun.
John Whitmer
Hiram Page
Joseph Smith, Sen.
Hyrum Smith
Samuel H. Smith

Quoting wulfeyes05:

I believe and worship God, but I'm not part of a religion. If I went to a church it would be a non-denominal church where everyone is welcome. I was married in one and it made quite and impression on me. My husband's bestfriend is a Mormon, well a bad Mormon, and he's alright I guess. I don't like or respect his religion. Joseph Smith was well a fraud from what I've read. I mean think about it he wouldn't let anyone see the tablets he was "translating", because he was the only one allowed to see them, but Moses one of the most epic guys in the Bible actually let everyone see the Ten Commandments and not just pretend that he had them and hide them in his tent and just make things up as he went along. Moses was awesome and Joseph Smith was not.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

louzannalady
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:13 PM

So, you did not actually talk to anyone who is LDS, other than one person? I would strongly encourage you to talk to a person who practices a faith and is strong in it, before you make a judgement about it. Talking to pastors of another church, would be like talking to a Toyota dealer when you are trying to buy a Ford. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I have always been taught (and from my own research) that mormons are false gospels just like Jehovah's... My sd is mormon, she used to tell me so much about what they believe in, and then after talking to different pastors, I learned she's not far off from what she told me, and they aren't considered true gospels

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

GabrielRiley
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:59 PM
I was going to say Oliver Cowdry, but I'm pretty sure your right it was Martin Harris. He never one denied the book of Mormon, even when he denied Joseph and his teachings.

Quoting louzannalady:

*nods head* I understand how you could feel that way. Just me, I think, it's something that a person (Martin Harris, I found out) with their last breath would not deny what they saw or experienced, given plenty of chances. *tips hat* Have a great night! : )

Quoting wulfeyes05:

It's awesome how a lot of them are related and could get each other to lie for them.

Quoting louzannalady:

It is not true that he did not allow anyone to see the Golden Plates. There was one man- I can't remember who- who left the Church and returned East. Even on his death bed, he did not deny seeing the Plates or his testimony of the Church.

Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, their brethren, and also of the people of Jared, who came from the tower of which hath been spoken. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true. And we also testify that we have seen the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shown unto us by the power of God, and not of man. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true. And it is marvelous in our eyes. Nevertheless, the voice of the Lord commanded us that we should bear record of it; wherefore, to be obedient unto the commandments of God, we bear testimony of these things. And we know that if we are faithful in Christ, we shall rid our garments of the blood of all men, and be found spotless before the judgment-seat of Christ, and shall dwell with him eternally in the heavens. And the honor be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost, which is one God. Amen.

Oliver Cowdery
David Whitmer
Martin Harris

Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That Joseph Smith, Jun., the translator of this work, has shown unto us the plates of which hath been spoken, which have the appearance of gold; and as many of the leaves as the said Smith has translated we did handle with our hands; and we also saw the engravings thereon, all of which has the appearance of ancient work, and of curious workmanship. And this we bear record with words of soberness, that the said Smith has shown unto us, for we have seen and hefted, and know of a surety that the said Smith has got the plates of which we have spoken. And we give our names unto the world, to witness unto the world that which we have seen. And we lie not, God bearing witness of it.

Christian Whitmer
Jacob Whitmer
Peter Whitmer, Jun.
John Whitmer
Hiram Page
Joseph Smith, Sen.
Hyrum Smith
Samuel H. Smith

Quoting wulfeyes05:

I believe and worship God, but I'm not part of a religion. If I went to a church it would be a non-denominal church where everyone is welcome. I was married in one and it made quite and impression on me. My husband's bestfriend is a Mormon, well a bad Mormon, and he's alright I guess. I don't like or respect his religion. Joseph Smith was well a fraud from what I've read. I mean think about it he wouldn't let anyone see the tablets he was "translating", because he was the only one allowed to see them, but Moses one of the most epic guys in the Bible actually let everyone see the Ten Commandments and not just pretend that he had them and hide them in his tent and just make things up as he went along. Moses was awesome and Joseph Smith was not.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM
You are right. There were more false statements(pertaining to "LDS") but a couple are true. But I am not saying I am the all knowing about this subject either. Slo I am admiting now I am not one to give answers on any of them. I am just happy someone actually asked a specific question(s) instead of just bashing. At least she was specific. *shrugs*

Quoting RnNHamilton:

What part do you think she was telling that truth about? I think someone has corrected her on almost everything she has asked or talked about.

Quoting EmilysMom2010:

There are a couple of her points that I never heard of but I was a member of the lds for a couple years. I was even baptised by my missionaries. I almost married a mormon.

Quoting Anonymous:

You are both incredibly uneducated and ignorant on the religion if you think they believe the things posted.

Quoting EmilysMom2010:

You are right. They do.

Quoting JoLee12345:

Quoting EmilysMom2010:

Great post!

(Seriously-no sarcasm). ;-)

thank you! People are trying to tell me that Mormons don't believe these things but I absolutely know they do!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on May. 6, 2012 at 6:34 AM

I need to point out that even the Bible mentions Zion. It is basically Jerusalem. Warren Jeffs is not a part of the LDS church. Joseph Smith's words have been twisted by critics for over a century. The god of the Christians is the same god worshipped by Jews and Muslims. Christians don't even have a monopoly on their own god, so to say that one particular church is wrong because its teachings don't quite line up with everyone else's is just a bit ridiculous. There are literally hundreds of different Christian churches with different beliefs. If a church considers itself Christian, then it is.

RnNHamilton
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I was going to say the same thing. I thought Oliver at first. Wasn't martin Harris part of the news paper? Or something like that. I am going to have to look it up now. lol

Quoting GabrielRiley:

I was going to say Oliver Cowdry, but I'm pretty sure your right it was Martin Harris. He never one denied the book of Mormon, even when he denied Joseph and his teachings.

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting wulfeyes05:

Quoting louzannalady:

Oliver Cowdery
David Whitmer
Martin Harris

Christian Whitmer
Jacob Whitmer
Peter Whitmer, Jun.
John Whitmer
Hiram Page
Joseph Smith, Sen.
Hyrum Smith
Samuel H. Smith

Quoting wulfeyes05:

GabrielRiley
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Martin Harris was one of Josephs first followers I don't think he was part of the news paper. He was the one that lost the first part of the translation.

Quoting RnNHamilton:

I was going to say the same thing. I thought Oliver at first. Wasn't martin Harris part of the news paper? Or something like that. I am going to have to look it up now. lol

Quoting GabrielRiley:

Quoting louzannalady:

Quoting wulfeyes05:

Quoting louzannalady:

Oliver Cowdery
David Whitmer
Martin Harris

Christian Whitmer
Jacob Whitmer
Peter Whitmer, Jun.
John Whitmer
Hiram Page
Joseph Smith, Sen.
Hyrum Smith
Samuel H. Smith

Quoting wulfeyes05:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Worthen
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Zion isn't a planet, it's a state of peace
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)