Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Oh, what's in a name? S/O kind of

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies

So in another post another mom said her twin daughters were annabella and isabella.  which is fine with me, two different names and all that.  My question is this, how many people have named their babies with the intention of calling them a nick name ex: isabella  called bella.  My thoughts have always been, name the child what you intend to call them.  Someone who used to come to my daycare was having a little boy, they named him John but will call him Jack.  that's just odd to me, just name the kid jack  (i know, john f kennedy was jack)  or even isabella.  if you are planning on calling her bella, why not just name them bella?  is that wierd of me?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aidyns_mommy
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:42 PM
If I ever have a daughter she will have my middle name as her first. Angelina & I will call her lina for short (lee-na)-... here's a bump, to each their own.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I've never understood that either. We call our kids exactly what we named them. 

My son is Dylan James...my ex MIL would call him DJ when he was younger because initially he was going to be named after his dad until we stopped talking before our son was born. So she refused to call him by his name and used the initials. As my son got older he hated being called DJ and he told her he hated it. He told her one day "my name is Dylan, not DJ and I would appreciate if you call me by my name". She refused and till this day (he's 20 yrs old now) she still calls him DJ. It drives him nuts!!!! Another time he just stopped responding to her each time she referred to him as DJ and she said he was being rude....only she was the one being rude for not respecting HIS wishes. 

MomRocs1102
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

lol, No i didnt my ds name had 5 letters I dont want anyone breaking his short name into a nickname

Rachellee12
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

I understand what you mean. I think it's for later on? Like business wise (IN most cases). When they get into the business world would you trust an Isabella or a Bella? I don't know, but that's what comes to mind for me.

My sons name is Aiden James, but I call him AJ. That's his initials, I don't know if that fits your question though.

My cousin has a daughter named Emily, but they call her Mi Mi, that to me would be a ridiculous as a name?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM
4 moms liked this

I just call my kids Buttheads. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

You're right that name on a birth cert would be silly, but i'm sure the name Mi Mi came up when she was a baby or toddler and it stuck.  I was thinking of naming the child one thing with the plan to call them something else from day one: another example  at daycare we had a little boy named Hunter, cute right? But i learned that his name is Peter they just also liked the name Hunter    that's crazy to me.

Quoting Rachellee12:

I understand what you mean. I think it's for later on? Like business wise (IN most cases). When they get into the business world would you trust an Isabella or a Bella? I don't know, but that's what comes to mind for me.

My sons name is Aiden James, but I call him AJ. That's his initials, I don't know if that fits your question though.

My cousin has a daughter named Emily, but they call her Mi Mi, that to me would be a ridiculous as a name?

JoLee12345
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Mind are all their names only kallista goes by kalli sometimes, but it wasn't our plan...lol
jandyrodax
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:55 PM

We use the names we gave them. 

I have a niece named Alanna and her nick name for the longest time was "La La" but that was because that was the only why my son could pronounce her name and it just kind of stuck for everyone. 

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

my mom named my little brother Charles Christopher, with the intentions of calling him Christopher or Chris (Charles is my grampa's name)...well fast forward 16 years and Chris was looking for a job  and putting out aps all over...some man called and asked for Charles, I told him he had the wrong number and hung up, I had totally forgot my own brothers first name!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 4, 2012 at 1:55 PM

that is soooo funny!!!!!!!!

Quoting shivasgirl:

my mom named my little brother Charles Christopher, with the intentions of calling him Christopher or Chris (Charles is my grampa's name)...well fast forward 16 years and Chris was looking for a job  and putting out aps all over...some man called and asked for Charles, I told him he had the wrong number and hung up, I had totally forgot my own brothers first name!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)