Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Kids In the birthing room

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: Children In the birthing room

Options:

No way!

Yes.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 22

View Results

Would you or have you had children in the birthing room? A friend of mine asked for my opinion and I said I would absolutely NOT have my kids in there. I think it would be too traumatic for them to see me in pain and for them to be looking at the baby coming and all the blood, that's no place for a child. Heck I have seen grown men pass out in the birthing room.
And if you would other family members apart from your husband or boyfriend, who would it be? I had my husband, mom or sisters in there when I had my kids. My dad stayed home to babysit.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coffeeluva
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM

No way! I would especially not want my daughter to be traumatized and afraid to give birth later in life!

jnttd
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM
We're giving our 2 year old the option. DH will take her out if she's uncomrortable, but I think she'll just be curious.
If you educate and reassure the child there's no problem. Show them some videos or pictures and keep an open dialogue about it. Tell them, "Yes, it is going to make mommy hurt but it's okay because it will be over soon and then we get to see the baby." I would never teach children to fear birth or think it's something only adults are a part of. For us it's a natural intimate family event. The more they know, the less abnormal it is to them. Birth is good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM

It's extremely personal and situational. We tried to have a third baby and we planned on having our kids there if they chose to be. We were planning a homebirth though, I wouldn't want them there at the hospital because it would not be fun laboring and mothering at the same time.

jnttd
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it may have the opposite effect. Telling her that it's not something she can see could make her feel apprehensive about it. Showing her the process and explaining that it's natural for women to go through may normalize the event for her. Just like breastfeeding- if you make it a private affair and the children aren't exposed it might come off as something they shouldn't experience. If you show them breastfeeding is totally normal they don't have reservations about it.

Quoting coffeeluva:

No way! I would especially not want my daughter to be traumatized and afraid to give birth later in life!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I wouldn't want mine in there but not because I think they'd be traumatized.  You prep them so they aren't scared.  Fear comes from a lack of knowledge so you tell them what is going to happen to mommy and that it's ok because it's natural.  I wouldn't want mine in there because I don't want to have to be mothering them while I'm concentrating on birthing.

all4Him999
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I had my, then, 8 and 4 year old daughters in the room when I delivered. The doctor let my oldest sit right next to him and watch her brother come out, but my 4 year old was being held by daddy and wasn't really into it.  It was a beautiful experience that was a once in a lifetime event since we are done having kids...my daugheter wanted to be there and thought the whole thing was amazing.  I felt it bonded us as a family.

coffeeluva
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Quoting jnttd:

I think it may have the opposite effect. Telling her that it's not something she can see could make her feel apprehensive about it. Showing her the process and explaining that it's natural for women to go through may normalize the event for her. Just like breastfeeding- if you make it a private affair and the children aren't exposed it might come off as something they shouldn't experience. If you show them breastfeeding is totally normal they don't have reservations about it.

Quoting coffeeluva:

It depends on the age. If my daughter was very young I don't think it would be right to let her see that. I screamed bloody murder and had to get stitches with my first. With all that blood pouring out and such, I don't know.

jnttd
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:54 PM
I dread the thought of keeping DD in the hospital when I have this baby. All the things a 2 year old would try to get into and how bored she would get... *shudders* And we don't leave her with anyone so bringing her with would be the only option.
Thankfully we're having this baby at home so she can just play or sleep or whatever.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

It's extremely personal and situational. We tried to have a third baby and we planned on having our kids there if they chose to be. We were planning a homebirth though, I wouldn't want them there at the hospital because it would not be fun laboring and mothering at the same time.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jnttd
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM
What an awful birth experience! Why all the screaming and stitching?!

Quoting coffeeluva:

Quoting jnttd:

Quoting coffeeluva:

It depends on the age. If my daughter was very young I don't think it would be right to let her see that. I screamed bloody murder and had to get stitches with my first. With all that blood pouring out and such, I don't know.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnastasiaKorsh
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Depends. I dont think it was such a horrible experience that they'd be scared for life. But the only person that was allowed in the room when I gave birth was DF, and he was only allowed to hold my hand, he was not allowed to look anywhere else but my face.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN