Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

unequal salaries

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM
  • 13 Replies

If one person makes more money than the other in a marriage, how much do they have to help the other? The house is paid for by the higer paid spouse, so are the kids tuition. They split the rest of the bills, but the lower paid person is resentful that their partner still has more disposible income. The higher paid souse thinks the other should either work more hours or spend less money.

opinions please

by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:43 PM
When it comes to disposible income after bills are paid, I think the spouse who makes more is right. You want more money, work more hours or budget your money better.
tifbrown
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmm, we didn't split anything. When we were both working it all went into the same back account and bills were withdrawn from it. If you are married, why separate and differentiate who pays what bills. I think that is just asking for problems and feelings of inequality and resentment.

jcsg
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Our money has ALWAYS been combined.  So it doesn't matter who makes more.  That includes disposable income too.  There is no "I make more so I can spend more" mentality. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 4, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I will never understand how married couples divide their money like this. All money is OUR money. My husband tried to play that game for awhile when we were dating, and newly married...but then HE overspent, and WE were bankrupt. So, now it's all ours, especially since I stay at home. I will not tolerate him holding money over my head. It's disrespectful, and not at all what a marriage is.

mandylin3
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:48 PM

We just put all of our money into the same pot, so to speak.  The money is used to pay the rent, utilities, all the bill, groceries, gas for the vehicles and all the extras we need like shampoo, laundry detergent, toothpaste, toilet paper etc.

Whatever is leftover is both of ours to make a mutual decision on where it goes.  No one has more say than the other just because one of us makes more financially.

JuliFox
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. Sounds more like a business relationship than a marriage. Hubby and I have never had separate accounts. When we first married I made more; now I am a homemaker and he's the breadwinner. I cook, clean, do the shopping, care for the pets, manage the budget and make sure the bills get paid. But regardless of ehich one of us earned more, it's always been OUR money, together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Quoting JuliFox:

Wow. Sounds more like a business relationship than a marriage. Hubby and I have never had separate accounts. When we first married I made more; now I am a homemaker and he's the breadwinner. I cook, clean, do the shopping, care for the pets, manage the budget and make sure the bills get paid. But regardless of ehich one of us earned more, it's always been OUR money, together.

longhorngal
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I don't know.  All of our money goes to one bank account and anything we pay for comes out of that.

Rose87
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Uhm. I think in a marriage, money belongs to both parties whether they are both working or one is a sahp. 

My husband works and I am sahm. I handle the bills etc. As far as extra funds go, when I worked, if one of us needed something, we bought it. We would discuss it beforehand but there was no "i earn this, you earn that so you can only spend what you earn" business between us.

That is wrong. Especially in a marriage.

Pregnancy

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on May. 4, 2012 at 5:52 PM

We don't split anything. Both of our checks are deposited into one joint account. The bills that need to be paid get paid, and the groceries that need to be bought get bought. Extras are bought if we have the money to buy them in any given week. It's OUR MONEY.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)