Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Did u know that if u qualify for PA you qualify for government grants for college?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Why not get off the food stamps and better yourself??? Uncle Sam will pay yur tuition and books. Finish school at night school and online and help your dh support the family! Dint be a fool stay in school!
Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Replies (31-40):
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Yup. I love cooking but damn career wise you basically pay 63k to work as a line cook at Denny's for min.wage. The only person from my school that got a decent job was my friend Madison. He got a job at a hotel in Pasadena, Ca for 15$ an hour and they raped him of that by upping his loan payments to 614$. He can't even afford to move out of his parents as a college graduate because of his loans. I tried to apply at banking jobs and receptionists but an AA in culinar arts is laughable to them. Good thing I don't have to work now so there is no pressure, but I would've liked to go the culinary arts route after paying for it

Quoting sarahfire:

Hey I'm sorta in the same boat, I got a liberal arts degree (English creative writing). I should have listened to my uncle and gotten a business or accounting degree, my SIL just graduated with an accounting degree and got an awesome job right away. Me I'm still working for a craptastic tiny company with no benefits and I just had to apply for food stamps :(

Quoting nocalmegan:

Oh don't I know that lol I went to culinary school. Got some grants bit mostly loans. Shit cost 63k. Know what about 90% of people out of culinary school make? Minimum wage baby! And they expect you to pay back your loans like you make 40$ an hour. My payments were over 400$ a month. Seriously. With a kid making 8$ and hour plus daycare. I still havent used my degree. Wish someone would of told me it's an essentially useless career with a family lol

Quoting sarahfire:

That is very true, I qualified for govt grants but it wasn't enough, I had to take out loans to finish school. Loans that I now cannot even begin to start paying back because my low paying job barely gets me by week to week. Having a degree doesn't automatically mean that you will get a great paying job.

Quoting nocalmegan:

Getting some government grants does not mean your entire tuition is covered, just so u know. Even on PA, depending on where you are and what you want to do, they don't cover everything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Who pays for the kids to be watched while the parent is in class?

sarahfire
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM
Essentially you do. I worked part time while going to college and had to take out extra loans just to pay for childcare for my son. I've heard of some programs that help with free childcare but no one ever helped me with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on May. 4, 2012 at 8:10 PM

lol Take out a loan to go to college for a degree that might not even allow you to make enough to pay them back? We wouldn't put ourselves in debt by taking out a loan like that, that would be stupid on my part.

Quoting sarahfire:

Essentially you do. I worked part time while going to college and had to take out extra loans just to pay for childcare for my son. I've heard of some programs that help with free childcare but no one ever helped me with that.

Quoting Anonymous:

sarahfire
by Platinum Member on May. 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM
Yeah, because furthering your education is always a stupid move.....it's not just about how much money you make to some people. I'm damn proud of my degree even if it isn't earning me as much as I'd like right now.0

Quoting Anonymous:

lol Take out a loan to go to college for a degree that might not even allow you to make enough to pay them back? We wouldn't put ourselves in debt by taking out a loan like that, that would be stupid on my part.

Quoting sarahfire:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on May. 4, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Bump!

zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on May. 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, financial aid is another form of PA. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on May. 4, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Some colleges wont take the govt aid if you have used it before.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on May. 4, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Yes, I know. My husband is going to a small community college that has been mostly paid for because we are on pa.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on May. 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I'm not on any PA, but I still get about 5500 in Grants. My husband received Pell grants as well and this was prior to having a child and being married. No loans here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN