Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm torn...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

so I went food shopping with my kids today, I decide to go get them some cookies because they been good. and there were two very obese ladies in front of the cookies buying a bunch of them... so we were waiting and my 6yr old goes

"mommy can we just go get some fruit instead? i dont want to be fat like them"

I was mortified, I immediatly told her that was rude and she couldv'e just said she would prefer fruit. she responded "well fruit is healthier anyways and they should eat some"

again I tell her she is being rude and this is a private discussion...

the whole time I'm getting death looks even though I'm correcting my daughter on her manners, while I agree with her reasoning she totally shouldn't have said something like that as it isn't her place...

I'm debating on punishing her or not...

Posted by Anonymous on May. 4, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:22 PM
How old is she??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I personally wouldn't punish her. Sure she should not have said that where the ladies could hear her, but my thought is that she is entitled to her opinion. I'd just talk to her about when things are not proper to be said in public. 

My husband is dieting now. He was at a truck stop and was picking out some fruit to buy and this other trucker had a bunch of snack cakes and kept looking at my husband kind of funny (this is coming from my husband telling me) and my husband said that the other trucker put up all of the snack cakes grabbed a few pieces of fruit to purchase and went on his way. LOL!

proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:23 PM
oooyyy i would be torn too :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM

No need to punish her for being honest. I would have said the same thing to her that you did. That was enough.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 4, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Quoting KairisMama:

How old is she??

Rose87
by Ruby Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

No need to punish her for being honest. I would have said the same thing to her that you did. That was enough.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have been laughing my ass off.
tifbrown
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM
Go your daughter! Sorry, I know it is rude, but I'm impressed she put two and two together on that one. It's good she recognizes health concerns like that. I would give her a talk about using discretion when saying things like that in public, and use it as an example to keep her on the healthy train in the future.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 4, 2012 at 7:26 PM

i dont want to punish her really, i corrected her right away

Quoting Anonymous:

I personally wouldn't punish her. Sure she should not have said that where the ladies could hear her, but my thought is that she is entitled to her opinion. I'd just talk to her about when things are not proper to be said in public. 

My husband is dieting now. He was at a truck stop and was picking out some fruit to buy and this other trucker had a bunch of snack cakes and kept looking at my husband kind of funny (this is coming from my husband telling me) and my husband said that the other trucker put up all of the snack cakes grabbed a few pieces of fruit to purchase and went on his way. LOL!

DannieLou
by Mockingjay on May. 4, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I would have a more of a talk with her to discuss what is acceptable to say aloud in public. She may have decided that she'd rather not look like that, but she doesn't need to voice it loudly in public. Tell her if she must absolutely say something like that, to tell you in a whisper in your ear. I don't think punishment is necessary, but clarifying ettiquette is needed. Kids speak the blunt truth and its good sometimes, but not when it will hurt feelings. GL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured