Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do I make three meals out of this? *ETA*

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:18 AM
  • 95 Replies
Thank you ladies, we were able to get three meals in and two for dh and I.

Ok, I receive my foodstamps on Sunday, but I need to make it through Saturday first. Dh and I will not be eating today, as I don't think four people can eat off of what we have. However, if you ladies can figure out how to work one meal into that for us, please do so. I seriously have no idea what to make. I do not know how to make three meals out of this that my kids will eat. They turn up their little noses at oatmeal for breakfast, mashed sweet potatoes, baked sweet potatoes and candied sweet potatoes. What am I supposed to do with the oatmeal and sweet potatoes? I need three separate meals. This is what I have.
2 sweet potatoes
1 can pink salmon
6 eggs
¼ block cheddar cheese
½ cup uncooked oatmeal
Milk
Butter
Sugar(white & dark brown)
Flour
Vanilla
asst. dry seasoning
Olive oil
Thanks in advance for any advice.

ETA: I should have known that the question was coming, but anyways, I have free wifi, it comes with my rent payment along with lights, water and cable. Any other snarky questions? Thank you to the ladies that have been helpful. You have given me some great suggestions. I really appreciate it. =D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bellawomen
by Summer on May. 5, 2012 at 2:21 AM
Sweet potato fries? I would make a baked egg dish with the salmon included. Top it with cheese and bake.

I wouldn't know how to make 3 meals out of that :( sorry
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twrwifey
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:24 AM

You can make salmon cakes, sweet potato fries or bake them like a baked potato with the brown sugar. Scrambled eggs with cheese. I dunno. good luck!

QueenBof6
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Scrambled eggs with cheese

Salmon bake with some cheese on top

Pancakes.

Do you have cinnamon, my kids don't like plain oatmeal but love it with some cinnamon and brown sugar.

That's all I got. Sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletSpirit
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:27 AM
Thanks ladies. At least you are giving me a few new ideas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Albagubrath
by Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:29 AM
3 moms liked this
You can take 1 egg, oatmeal, a bit of brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon and make pancakes. Toss it in a blender to disguise it. Add milk til it's a bit like pancake batter. You can use the sweet potatoes just like pumpkin and make muffins. Sprinkle with a bit of brown sugar.
For lunch you could have biscuits and gravy. Biscuits can be made with butter and flour, gravy with milk.
For the salmon, make some quick fresh pasta. (eggs, oil, flour) rollit out thin and cut it into small strips. Make a white gravy with flour and milk. Use some cheese to flavor it, and spice it up to your liking, cube the rest of the cheese and mix cooked noodles, salmon, cheese and gravy and bake @375 for 30 min or so.

Hope that helps?
littleacorn
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:32 AM
Look up how to make flour tortillas online. Serve a brunch of breakfast burritos with the tortillas you'll have made, scrambled eggs, and maybe a bit of cheese.

Combine the salmon, an egg, and the oatmeal, as well as maybe some seasonings (look up a recipe for fish patties, if you aren't comfortable just throwing it together) and pan fry some salmon patties. Bake the sweet potatoes to serve on the side.

If you have baking powder and just forgot to list it, or some baking soda and some cream of tartar, you could make muffins for breakfast...or maybe some sort of cookies and then you could have my original suggestion for lunch.

You might be able to make crackers with what you have, then someone could have cheese and crackers.

Or maybe you could hit up a food bank?

If you don't mind my asking, how much do you get in food stamps that your stock got so low? We used to get $161 a month for 5 people and it NEVER got that low.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thickmamaof2
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:32 AM
breakfast i would make pancakes, for lunch i would mix the eggs, 1 potato and salmon with a dash of salt, pepper and milk and bake. Top with cheese. Then for dinner add butter to a big pot, when it melts make a rue with flour then add in a bunch of milk to make potato soup. Cut up the other potato and let simmer. If you have bacon bits that would be even better. Serve with cheese on top! Good luck mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VioletSpirit
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:34 AM
Yes, I have cinnamon. I do put both those items in their oatmeal, but for the past week, oatmeal is all they got for breakfast. They like variety and hate getting the same things over and over.

I hadn't thought of pancakes, probably because I never eat them too much myself. I had to go check, but I have a dusty bottle of pancake syrup in the back of food shelf behind the spices.

Quoting QueenBof6:

Scrambled eggs with cheese

Salmon bake with some cheese on top

Pancakes.

Do you have cinnamon, my kids don't like plain oatmeal but love it with some cinnamon and brown sugar.

That's all I got. Sorry.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 5, 2012 at 2:36 AM
I know your just looking for recipes but i can't believe your kids won't eat oatmeal.you have milk and sugar and you can make it so sweet.

i just know if/when we were short on food when i was a kid and refused something my mom would knock me into next week and let me starve.
VioletSpirit
by on May. 5, 2012 at 3:07 AM
1 mom liked this
We need to renew our ids to use the food pantry in this parish. We get almost 300 in foodstamps and spend roughly 400 each month. I did not have the extra money because our kids got sick and I had to take them to the hospital. Cab fare there and back plus items insurance would not pay for depleted our extra money this month.

Quoting littleacorn:

Look up how to make flour tortillas online. Serve a brunch of breakfast burritos with the tortillas you'll have made, scrambled eggs, and maybe a bit of cheese.

Combine the salmon, an egg, and the oatmeal, as well as maybe some seasonings (look up a recipe for fish patties, if you aren't comfortable just throwing it together) and pan fry some salmon patties. Bake the sweet potatoes to serve on the side.

If you have baking powder and just forgot to list it, or some baking soda and some cream of tartar, you could make muffins for breakfast...or maybe some sort of cookies and then you could have my original suggestion for lunch.

You might be able to make crackers with what you have, then someone could have cheese and crackers.

Or maybe you could hit up a food bank?

If you don't mind my asking, how much do you get in food stamps that your stock got so low? We used to get $161 a month for 5 people and it NEVER got that low.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN